• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

I finally emptied the rain gauge this morning and found a whopping 2.06" from yesterday's storms.

I knew it was over 1" because it had spilled out of the initial column, but never got around to actually emptying it till this morning.  That's my largest rain event of the season, and couldn't believe when pouring the contents of the outter cylinder out, that it filled up a whole other inch worth of liquid and then some.

I then had to look at CoCoRAHS to see if this was even close to what other places had...and looks like the Stowe Village guy 1 mile away had even more with 2.22" reported.  That was quite the soaker yesterday, and brings the monthly rainfall to 5.34" locally.

attachicon.gifGetMap.aspx.gif

Good soaker state wide from the Spine and east.

attachicon.gifprecip.png

That was a gooder, Only 0.62" with last nights weak sauce

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wednesday's storm cuased two lightning-strike fires in Farmington, one at Walmart, then anothoer across town at an apartment building, which temporarily has displaced 4 families/13 people, including some friends.  Structural damage was severe though in limited extent, so I'd expect at least 3 of the 4 to be back home in a couple weeks or less.

Some very dense rain with that storm as well, and along with the lesser showers later on, another 1.2", bringing my July total to 5.47".  Wettest July 1998-on was 7.29" in 2009 (of course, 2009), and the upcoming Sun-Tues systems offer an outside shot of putting this month on top.

No smell here either. GOES aerosol depth product picks this up well.

smokealoft.jpg

That's a cool product...where'd ya find that?

BTV AFD this evening..a good ol' look out the window update.

" 631 PM Friday... quick update to account for the increased haze across the region due to the smoke level (from northwestern Canadian wildfires) descending quite a bit...likely due to increased late afternoon/evening mixing. Seeing visibilities at some of our observing sites dropping down to 6-9 miles for visibility...and Mount Mansfield and some of the foothills are now no longer visible from the Burlington area. Left the haze in until about midnight...and will have to see how it behaves as the boundary layer decouples after sunset. Current thinking is that it should gradually exit the region as mixing decreases...especially as general flow turns more west/southwesterly rather than northwesterly."

That's a cool product...where'd ya find that?

BTV AFD this evening..a good ol' look out the window update.

" 631 PM Friday... quick update to account for the increased haze across the region due to the smoke level (from northwestern Canadian wildfires) descending quite a bit...likely due to increased late afternoon/evening mixing. Seeing visibilities at some of our observing sites dropping down to 6-9 miles for visibility...and Mount Mansfield and some of the foothills are now no longer visible from the Burlington area. Left the haze in until about midnight...and will have to see how it behaves as the boundary layer decouples after sunset. Current thinking is that it should gradually exit the region as mixing decreases...especially as general flow turns more west/southwesterly rather than northwesterly."

It was a good job by them getting that update in there. I know it was quite hazy even in Portland at sunset.

Conference came at just the right time to save me from that nonsense.

We were all up in your garden today. Looked like a bad accident just past Shaw's...we had to go around past Patrick's to get to Hannaford from the Weirs since it was blocked off with emergency vehicles.

0.75" so far with a high rain rate on the Davis of 6.33"/hr.

Not feeling severe up here for later...down to 65.5F and we're already into early afternoon with some evap cooling left to go once the sun pops back out. We'll see. I don't need the severe though...just keep the convection coming.

Regarding November snowfall...by far the largest event for the mountain was 11/9 - 11/11 with two feet of snowfall.  That was a very moist upslope event where the mountain valleys were just a couple degrees too warm.

That would've been a nice little dump in the mountain valleys had it been a touch colder (as most spots only saw 0.5" to 2" below 1,500ft)...seeing as Jeffersonville came in with 0.81", Stowe Village with 0.64", and Waterbury with 0.5" of liquid equiv in that 24 hour period.  Pretty classic Spine and East Slope precipitation event...probably a Froude # in that 1.0-1.25 range. 

precip_111113.png

hate to say it, but IMO that 11/9-11/11 system was the storm of the season.

absolutely buried mansfield head to toe

IMG_4172.jpg

I agree with you...although the mid-March system I think may have beat it out with like 20" on top of a good base.

Indeed that 11/9-11/11 event wasn’t a highlight of the month down in the valleys, with 1.7” at our location in Waterbury and right in line with what PF mentioned above, but it sure was a treat up high.  One of my favorite shots from the day was an image from Hayride:

12NOV13F.jpg

Those pre- and post-season storm cycles in which the snow is dense and/or deep enough to supply a full resurfacing can produce some fantastic skiing.  It does say a bit about last season when a cycle like that, falling on such minimal base, could be in the running for storm of the season.  Like PF, I still might have to go with that mid March storm for overall experience on the slopes though, since plentiful base was in place and it was therefore carte blanche across the entirety of the northern resorts.  That storm did hit the valleys, and we had 15.6” at the house, which was (rather uncharacteristically) the largest event of the season here.  It looks like that was the storm that got the name Vulcan from TWC.  That storm was indeed one of those dense resurfacings that produced some great skiing:

13MAR14G.jpg

The beauty of that storm was that not only did if fall on top of an already plentiful base and throw down a couple inches of liquid, it was followed up a couple days later by another decent storm – and you know if a storm catches even PF off guard, it was probably one of those classic Northern Greens sleeper systems:

I have no idea what happened last night but it freakin' dumped.

And it sounds like the end result was good:

Best day of the year so far for me... no one here at all.  5-6" at the base and 8-10" at the summit.  Still snowing.  38" at 3,000ft in the past 7 days.

Drifts on the sides of the trails...bigger drifts from this "non-event" than the big "blizzard" lol.

It was an awesome sleeper day; I’d say Ty would agree:

16MAR14B.jpg

We need this set-up like 4 months from now...not the end of July.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

I saw your post in the main thread – neat to see that mention of northwest upslope flow and fall-like feel in the forecast discussion.  You’re right though, that GFS output looks like it puts us right in the wheelhouse of that system.  Four months from now would set us at just about the Thanksgiving time period, and I can think of many a great day being delivered by that point in the season.  In any event, even without the snow, it’s still fun to watch the mountains do their thing with that setup.

We’re actually only five days from my personal start of fall around here; it’s an arbitrary date of course, but August typically has a much different feel than July.  People will talk about the “dog days” thing, but as we’ve discussed before, August never seems to have much “bite” up in this area.  One big reference to the quick change this time of year comes from my wife – back when she was a lifeguard in Burlington, August 10th was a very distinctive date for when the use of the pool would just drop right off.  I was also intrigued to hear from my Mom that Gary Sadowsky, meteorologist for WCAX in Burlington, was recently talking about August 3rd marking a very notable climatological change in this area.  She said that he had some actual climatological rationale behind that, but unfortunately I didn’t get the details.  Anyway, for many reasons, I find that Aug/Sep/Oct is one of the best quarters of the year.  There may not be much to note about weather changes as we move into August this year though, as there really hasn’t been much heat to deal with this July.  The forecast looks nice going forward, with generally highs in the 70s F and lows in the 50s F, which is what the data suggest for climatological averages in this area anyway.

Archived