amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
June 2014

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all experienced it, changes nothing. Most of us are here to be weather enthusiasts not humanitarians.

That still doesn't mean we would like to experience anything on that level. I'll take a moderate tropical storm around here and that's it. I do not wish for damage and destruction on that scale no matter how much of a weather weenie I am.  

That still doesn't mean we would like to experience anything on that level. I'll take a moderate tropical storm around here and that's it. I do not wish for damage and destruction on that scale no matter how much of a weather weenie I am.  

Hoping for damage, death and destruction is a lot different than hoping for an impactful tropical system. Most people unless they live near a river thought Irene was nothing more than a nuisance event. If you live or lived near the river then odds are it was the worst flooding you've ever experienced.

Since I don't live near the ocean Sandy while it knocked out power in my town over a week could have been a lot worse had it also dumped typical tropical rains.

It's all relative.

We all experienced it, changes nothing. Most of us are here to be weather enthusiasts not humanitarians.

sure, but in the past I "rooted" for the storms to come up the coast, take a left hook whatever.  No Mas for me! With that said, I would certainly be glued to the tracking of a storm in here

sure, but in the past I "rooted" for the storms to come up the coast, take a left hook whatever.  No Mas for me!

That's fair, you're certainly entitled to have that opinion.

I won't root for another Sandy Hook type event but if it does happen again I don't think it will quite as bad thanks to better preparation.

Irene set off a bit of a cry wolf syndrome.

Let's compromise and root for a severe and long lasting Derecho, all of the wind without the surge, everyone wins. Now where can I put in my order?

If you can believe it the wind damage that I saw after the mid-atlantic derecheo a few years ago equaled that of Sandy. Not a single power line that was above ground survived and almost all the trees came down where I was.

Let's compromise and root for a severe and long lasting Derecho, all of the wind without the surge, everyone wins. Now where can I put in my order?

It's something the enthusiast in me would like to experience at least once, but I saw the damage these things caused and I would be a bit worried and excited if I saw one of these things aiming toward my region. 

That's fair, you're certainly entitled to have that opinion.

I won't root for another Sandy Hook type event but if it does happen again I don't think it will quite as bad thanks to better preparation.

Irene set off a bit of a cry wolf syndrome.

Definitely.  Since it underperformed and in some areas grossly underperformed, some folks figured Sandy would be the same way.

If you can believe it the wind damage that I saw after the mid-atlantic derecheo a few years ago equaled that of Sandy. Not a single power line that was above ground survived and almost all the trees came down where I was.

The wind damage was absolutely nothing like the water damage. Within 10 days it was like two different worlds between the surge areas and the higher elevations that just had tree/power line wind damage. My town had no rail service or power for up to a month and no useable water for nearly two weeks. Our infrastructure system had to be essentially rebuilt and still faces difficulty today with flooding after heavy rain events. The remnants of Andrea last June caused a lot of problems.

you can't compare sandy and the derecho because the derecho affected fully leafed out trees

Another big factor in comparing the 2 is the amount of tree loss some areas had from March 2010 and Irene. A lot of the weaker trees were knocked down during those 2...especially on LI.

Archived