joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 25-26 storm potential

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you, but I had to laugh. And what fun would that be? oxymoron: a combination of words that have opposite or very different meanings

I'd quote the urban dictionary, but I have a different, more respectable definition of weather weenie. To me, it's someone who gets excited by extreme weather events for the adrenalin rush. Could be a met, nonmet, adult, teenager or child.

Anyway!!!

I don't have any problem with the GFS being where it is ATM. I want it showing a slightly OTS solution at this point in time.

GFS being OTS is not too concerning atm. Some of its members today on the ensembles did look pretty promising. Whats more the EURO also sees ripe opportunity as well, its a wait and see at this point

GFS being OTS is not too concerning atm. Some of its members today on the ensembles did look pretty promising. Whats more the EURO also sees ripe opportunity as well, its a wait and see at this point

MUCH rather have the Euro in my camp, any time any day. Doesn't mean it's right, but doesn't change my statement.

I'd quote the urban dictionary, but I have a different, more respectable definition of weather weenie. To me, it's someone who gets excited by extreme weather events for the adrenalin rush. Could be a met, nonmet, adult, teenager or child.

I meant no disrespect! I was referring to the phrase "adult weenies"  - it made me laugh, and it is to me somewhat a contradiction of terms. That's what an oxymoron is, a contradiction of terms. Part of being a weather weenie is having the same enthusiasm for and excitement about weather that we had as a child. But as you stated, we can discuss it like adults. Sort of.

I meant no disrespect! I was referring to the phrase "adult weenies" - it made me laugh, and it is to me somewhat a contradiction of terms. That's what an oxymoron is, a contradiction of terms. Part of being a weather weenie is having the same enthusiasm for and excitement about weather that we had as a child. But as you stated, we can discuss it like adults. Sort of.

Hmmm...interesting, I agree with everything you said.

Many people consider discussion of the 7-10 day model outputs to be a waste of time, since we (NYC metro) didn't end up getting snowstorms on 3/3, 3/12, or 3/17. My thought is that the long range models were actually pretty damn good in sniffing out threats of major storms, which did come to fruition - just not delivering snow for our relatively small area. There were major to huge snowstorms to our south, twice, and to our north, once. The problem is when people expect 7-10 day models to actually be indicative of what's going to happen, instead of simply being indicative of the major features expected to be on the field 7-10 days hence. The uncertainty is simply too high with chaotic systems, like the weather, to expect more than that in the long range. So have at it and enjoy - might not be doing this again for 7-8 months. That said, man, the models in the 3-4 day range (and even closer) really didn't do so well, at least with the two suppressed systems - different topic, though...

This whole month reminds me of Dec 2010 where we kept waiting around for a big storm to happen but never did. I remember the frustration on here, which was only worsened when Boxing Day was shown to be OTS. We had all of the ingredients that month and just needed to light the match, and this month is kind of shaping up that way too. 

All signs from past climo for such an anomalous March point to a big storm and years like 1956, 1960, and 1993 keep showing up on analogs. 

This whole month reminds me of Dec 2010 where we kept waiting around for a big storm to happen but never did. I remember the frustration on here, which was only worsened when Boxing Day was shown to be OTS. We had all of the ingredients that month and just needed to light the match, and this month is kind of shaping up that way too. 

All signs from past climo for such an anomalous March point to a big storm and years like 1956, 1960, and 1993 keep showing up on analogs. 

The end result of that month was great.

I live on long island.. western long island to be more approximate. I know this won't happen (hopefully i'm wrong), but would it be a rain, or snow scenario? I hear high winds possible too? I don't have access to any models, so just base your answer off either euro or gfs if you can. I know this is useless and won't happen but I'm just curious to see what the models show.

I live on long island.. western long island to be more approximate. I know this won't happen (hopefully i'm wrong), but would it be a rain, or snow scenario? I hear high winds possible too? I don't have access to any models, so just base your answer off either euro or gfs if you can. I know this is useless and won't happen but I'm just curious to see what the models show.

A week out you can pick out any scenario. High winds are always a possibility if we get a strong storm

The signal is impressive no doubt, but I do feel it's going to bomb out or phase just a bit too late for us. 

I do wish we had a block, the progressive flow argues for a late bloomer, however personally I think its way too early to have any clue what might happen. The angle at which that shortwave dives southward is a long way from being figured out. 

Many people consider discussion of the 7-10 day model outputs to be a waste of time, since we (NYC metro) didn't end up getting snowstorms on 3/3, 3/12, or 3/17. My thought is that the long range models were actually pretty damn good in sniffing out threats of major storms, which did come to fruition - just not delivering snow for our relatively small area. There were major to huge snowstorms to our south, twice, and to our north, once. The problem is when people expect 7-10 day models to actually be indicative of what's going to happen, instead of simply being indicative of the major features expected to be on the field 7-10 days hence. The uncertainty is simply too high with chaotic systems, like the weather, to expect more than that in the long range. So have at it and enjoy - might not be doing this again for 7-8 months. That said, man, the models in the 3-4 day range (and even closer) really didn't do so well, at least with the two suppressed systems - different topic, though...

Well said!

I'm not a poster to put a lot of weight into but looking at the 0z euro, there is no storm.  Nothing really materializes which is interesting given how the 0z GFS shows a very intense storm OTS.  Perhaps someone else would like to put some input.

Time frame is still far out FWIW.

I'm not a poster to put a lot of weight into but looking at the 0z euro, there is no storm.  Nothing really materializes which is interesting given how the 0z GFS shows a very intense storm OTS.  Perhaps someone else would like to put some input.

Time frame is still far out FWIW.

It is there on the ECM its just out to sea and a lot weaker then the 12 Z run...

Archived