joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 25-26 storm potential

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 00z ECMWF ensemble mean wasn't bad, only a tick east of 12z. The control run on the other hand was way east and weak. 12 hits at KLGA > 10" and 20 members 6" or greater.

Consistency hasnt been too bad as far as this threat goes with the ECMWF as a whole. Chances steadily increasing for a sizable storm on EC whether or not its close to the coast or not.

The overnight models trended more progressive with the upper level low in the eastern pac. This leads to a less amplified and more progressive pattern on the west coast, and results in less room for amplification of any incoming shortwave on the east coast. 

We will see if this continues. 

The overnight models trended more progressive with the upper level low in the eastern pac. This leads to a less amplified and more progressive pattern on the west coast, and results in less room for amplification of any incoming shortwave on the east coast.

IMO if there is really no mechanism to slow the flow down this may once again be another southern screamer and bypass us. Its incredible that deep into and pretty much of march we still are concerned about suppression in a month where typically its then opposite with cutters

FWIW WPC was favoring a less progressive pattern and more amplified solution in its overnight discussion.

This is largely what I expected at this point, judging by the PNA. It is forecasted to fall even further over the next several days. My expectation is we see this progressiveness trend continue up until a few days before the storm when the PNA begins to spike back towards neutral. My feeling is we could see this going from an ots solution to a coastal hit just a mere 3 days before it's on our door step. With that being said I still favor southern and eastern sections of the forum i.e. southern half of New Jersey NYC, LI, and coastal connecticut.

I'm 50 years old and a weenie, It is possible.  I'm banned from OT, only thing keeping me from being voted WOTY.

Gut feeling, starting at 72 hours and 60 pages, it becomes obvious that this either cuts the Apps or goes 500 miles East of the Benchmark, and people will be posting the Korean and Australian in desparation.  BTW, a Cat 5 hurricane could hit Florida, and I'm not sure I'd see it with the display resolution of the Australian.

I'll take minor consolation if DCA gets 4 plus inches from this.

Waiting for the NYPD to post the DGEX soon.

I'm 50 years old and a weenie, It is possible.  I'm banned from OT, only thing keeping me from being voted WOTY.

Gut feeling, starting at 72 hours and 60 pages, it becomes obvious that this either cuts the Apps or goes 500 miles East of the Benchmark, and people will be posting the Korean and Australian in desparation.  BTW, a Cat 5 hurricane could hit Florida, and I'm not sure I'd see it with the display resolution of the Australian.

I'll take minor consolation if DCA gets 4 plus inches from this.

Waiting for the NYPD to post the DGEX soon.

You're banned from OT? Never knew that. DGEX is OTS :whistle:

I think at this point we have to expect this to be another suppressed storm and OTS because of the repeating pattern with the positive tilt trough until proven otherwise - pbp of these model runs is useless at this point because they will be all over the place the next couple days

I think at this point we have to expect this to be another suppressed storm and OTS because of the repeating pattern with the positive tilt trough until proven otherwise - pbp of these model runs is useless at this point because they will be all over the place the next couple days

It's way too early to make expectations. This is still an eternity out there given the chaos we've seen all winter.

Early on, this run of the GFS is farther west with the ULL in the Eastern Pac and slightly more amplified with the ridge on the west coast as a result. We'll see if this has any impact on the eventual outcome. 

It's looks more like Euro Ensemble mean with the +PNA. The heights are compressed ahead of it though, slow down amplification.

The strength of the PV has been decreased, could bode better for us with the storm. Kind of feel better that the solution is OTS at nearly a week out than a hit.

I think the PV wont be a problem or as big a problem as the what the pacific does that will inevitably have effects on the possible storm on the EC. Any kind of trend or change in the pacific ridging meaning better ridging will benefit this system further. Currently it looks like the PNA will be on the rise to neutral next week as well so that is a sliver of hope as well. This system is far from a lay up and IMO a different setup than the past two southern storms

Archived