northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Season Finale :(

Ji

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not even really close there tho.. doesn't do so until SNE area.  it's almost like a miller a with a miller b trying to form next to it.  complicated interaction. 

I think the upper level trough is in the process of capturing the low, hence the goofy looking solution...whether it closes off or not, we need that to happen early enough

I think the upper level trough is in the process of capturing the low, hence the goofy looking solution...whether it closes off or not, we need that to happen early enough

right but I still think it would be more consolidated than it shows.. which direction I'm not sure. 

Could it happen too early?  This was from today's 12z last nights 00z GFS run, which was good wet for North Carolina and not so good for us.  You can see the low being captured just off the coast near the NC / VA border:

r6mwGkw.gif

Edit:  Corrected the run time.

Could it happen too early? This was from last nights 00z GFS run, which was good for North Carolina and not so good for us. You can see the low being captured just off the coast near the NC / VA border:

r6mwGkw.gif

:huh:

Unless I'm missing something, the upper level energy looks to be back over Indiana/Illinois..if we had a legit block, perhaps we could make that work, but the zonal regime carts it offshore before it can occlude

Jim Cantore, ryan maue, Bastardi all over this thing.. totally buy into the EURO/ Canadian solutions...that's interesting..ensembles coming in now..

People don't even try to hide the fact that they forecast mostly based off the Euro anymore. ;) 

At some point in the past few days, the GFS, GGEM, and Euro have all shown something similar to this weird setup, but none has had it consistently. And I think each of those were the snowiest runs for our region. Getting the offshore low to cut in closer to the coast has less support.

The GGEM ensembles moved west from the 00z runs, but that was mostly due to consolidation around the op run. GEFS still have a greater variety in solutions. Both showing more than 60% of members with snow for us. About half of the GEFS members have a little snow for us on Sunday night as well.

I took a look at the GFS ensemble members and there are 6 members with sub 990mb lows passing to our east with 1 member in the low 970s similar to the EURO 12z deterministic run. I really think the signal is there for something significant next week. My concern with accumulation is with timing. It would be awful tough to accumulate efficiently during the heart of the day if current timing holds. If trends from mid January persist though... Things would slow down, deepen and trend closer to the coast so we shall see what the next couple days bring.

We do not get the euro ensembles in our AWIPS system. What is the best website to use. I know of the euro homepage but is there an easier to use page somewhere?

my access is kind of backdoor... so not much help. ;) i think weatherbell might have it though not sure where. 

i was hoping you would of said 12z

track is similar though it's probably on the western side. it doesn't have the "dual low" look around here and is more focused on the western of the two centers in the same panels. 

___ 1000mb just east of the outer banks @ 132 .1"-.25" over us.. 996 over the BM @ 138.... .25-.5" frozen over western NJ and points west.850's & thickness well offshore.... 142-992 over the BM. .1-.25" over us..

tthat was for philly... you guys having the 2m line west of you till 138.

Looking at the individual 12z EURO members, it appears (according to WxBell) that all 51 members show at least a few flakes. There are some huge hits in there as well. I have a lot of time, so I'm going to break them down below...

Less than 1": 9 members

6"+: 21 members

12"+: 12 members

18"+: 3 members

There are a bunch of 2-4" and 3-5" hits in there too.

*This is all according to WxBell snow maps. The above numbers are for DC*

___ 1000mb just east of the outer banks @ 132 .1"-.25" over us.. 996 over the BM @ 138.... .25-.5" frozen over western NJ and points west.850's & thickness well offshore.... 142-992 over the BM. .1-.25" over us..

it is a little mild.. a bit warmer than the op. 

Thanks.

Weatherbell does have it BTW, was given a link.. organization isn't great there.  Might be worth contacting Ryan if interested.. I think he's given free access in some cases.  

Euro ensemble is solid for DC.

MDstorm

Archived