gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
March 11-12th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd call it more than a tad. 0z at 60 in central KY, 18z at 66 over Cincy. Decent shift.

lol

At HR 63 it's nearly on the OH/KY border. 

18z HR 69 it's in S. OH

It's not that huge of a difference for a NAM run 60+ hrs out.

lol

At HR 63 it's nearly on the OH/KY border. 

18z HR 69 it's in S. OH

It's not that huge of a difference for a NAM run 60+ hrs out.

Take a look at the snowfall map. 18z had most of the 6"+ in southern MI back into NE IL barely getting into extreme N IN/OH. Now the 0z has most of the 6"+ in the northern third of IN/OH barely making it into extreme southern MI. Thats a decent jump south.

The 18z NAM was an extreme northern outlier from the consensus. It would have been even more strange had it not corrected southward.

In fact, the more I think about it, the heaviest snowfall setting up as far north as it did on the 18z NAM didn't seem right anyway given how far south the low track was (how often do Chicago and Detroit get hits that big with a surface low track from St. Louis to Cincinnati?).

Take a look at the snowfall map. 18z had most of the 6"+ in southern MI back into NE IL barely getting into extreme N IN/OH. Now the 0z has most of the 6"+ in the northern third of IN/OH barely making it into extreme southern MI. Thats a decent jump south.

NAM has 6"+ in the bottom 2 rows of counties in MI. I wouldnt call that "barely making it into extreme southern MI". Regardless, some of the latest SREFs were ridiculously far north (99% chance they are wrong) but it is nice to see the consensus decidedly north of where it was yesterday.

In fact, the more I think about it, the heaviest snowfall setting up as far north as it did on the 18z NAM didn't seem right anyway given how far south the low track was (how often do Chicago and Detroit get hits that big with a surface low track from St. Louis to Cincinnati?).

A SLP track from MKC to STL to CVG would be good for Chicago, as the 850mb low would end up tracking near a UIN to LAF line. Obviously the best snows would be in shorter duration though, as there is no cut to the NW.

All of the aforementioned occured in the 18z NAM...Thus the big run up here.

NWS has 4.6 in my forecast. Awfully optimistic if you ask me...

I think that looks pretty reasonable at this point all things considered. 

One thing I like about this setup is that temps are progged to drop below freezing pretty fast...or a better way of saying it is that we don't hang up around 31-32 degrees very long.

Archived