• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 28-March 3rd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

I'm not sure we're going to see much more than mood flakes with the next round. Heck, I'm not sure about Indy...but looking at the way things are currently lining up, I think they'll tack on some additional. How much is the question.

Short-range models shut us out while others have a little something.  Not much confidence but we'll see.  Just wanted to get to 70" with this storm but it will be a struggle.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Short-range models shut us out while others have a little something.  Not much confidence but we'll see.  Just wanted to get to 70" with this storm but it will be a struggle.

They were terrible with the overnight snow for us...but, yeah...think we're gonna fall short with this one. We'll get there eventually. 

IND seems to think there's another hand to be played ......

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

1030 AM EST SUN MAR 2 2014

...WINTER STORM IMPACTING CENTRAL INDIANA...

.A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM WILL CONTINUE TO IMPACT CENTRAL

INDIANA THROUGH TONIGHT. CENTRAL INDIANA CAN EXPECT SIGNIFICANT

SNOW AND SLEET AMOUNTS...AND THE SOUTHERN THIRD OF CENTRAL INDIANA

CAN EXPECT A WINTRY MIX OF SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN WITH

SIGNIFICANT ICE EXPECTED ESPECIALLY NEAR AND SOUTH OF A VINCENNES

TO SEYMOUR LINE.

INZ036-037-039>049-051>057-060>065-067>072-022330-

/O.CON.KIND.WS.W.0003.000000T0000Z-140303T1200Z/

MONTGOMERY-BOONE-HAMILTON-MADISON-DELAWARE-RANDOLPH-VERMILLION-

PARKE-PUTNAM-HENDRICKS-MARION-HANCOCK-HENRY-VIGO-CLAY-OWEN-MORGAN-

JOHNSON-SHELBY-RUSH-SULLIVAN-GREENE-MONROE-BROWN-BARTHOLOMEW-

DECATUR-KNOX-DAVIESS-MARTIN-LAWRENCE-JACKSON-JENNINGS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CRAWFORDSVILLE...ANDERSON...MUNCIE...

INDIANAPOLIS...TERRE HAUTE...SHELBYVILLE...BLOOMINGTON...

COLUMBUS...VINCENNES...BEDFORD...SEYMOUR

1030 AM EST SUN MAR 2 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST MONDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST MONDAY.

* MAIN IMPACT...SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING

RAIN WILL BE POSSIBLE...RESULTING IN HAZARDOUS ROADS AND

REDUCED VISIBILITIES. TRAVEL WILL BE DIFFICULT.

* ACCUMULATION...SNOWFALL AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES

WILL BE POSSIBLE BY MONDAY MORNING. MEANWHILE...3 TO 6 INCHES OF

SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED ACROSS SOUTHERN CENTRAL

INDIANA. SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATION WILL BE POSSIBLE

ESPECIALLY NEAR AND SOUTH OF A VINCENNES TO SEYMOUR LINE...WHERE

A QUARTER INCH OR MORE IS POSSIBLE.

* OTHER IMPACTS...MONDAY MORNING COMMUTE WILL BE IMPACTED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...

SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL

VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

&&

$

Last nights storm dropped 4.4" of powder imby with a 0.37" liquid equivalent. Average depth 16" and it did wonders to freshen up the old dirty snow. Im now at 85.8" on the season. Cant say it enough...amazing winter. DTW finished with I believe 4.6", so 83.8" on the season.

Looks like original calls several days out for SE MI of 2-5" were decent (however it ended up 3.5-5"), however models obviously had tons of issues with the handling of this. QPF locally had dwindled to between 0.1-0.25" (depending on the model) in the 2 days leading up to the storm, and it ended up being 0.3-0.4" over the area. So based on latest trends and expected downgrades, Id have to call it another overachiever.

First pic is view from parking garage in downtown Detroit yesterday evening, near the beginning of the storm, the rest are from this morning.

3948-800.jpg

3949-800.jpg

3950-800.jpg

3951-800.jpg

3952-800.jpg

3954-800.jpg

3956-800.jpg

3959-800.jpg

3960-800.jpg

3961-800.jpg

My call busted hard here, mainly due to the 7-10 as shown on the models. 0" on the dying first wave to our north, exactly 4.0" last night, and the third wave is going to be a 0" whiff to the south.

Oh well, 4" seems like a nickle and dime snow this winter, while in most winters would be a significant snow. Einstein was right, it's all relative.

Wow. I don't feel so bad about my 4" now. My daughter goes to Ball State and texted me the other day, "True or sh*t? 10 -12". I assured that she wouldn't see more than 8.

I was right.

I was a little concerned when the NAM and SREF weren't showing much for here in their longer ranges, but this is ridiculous. I'm frankly shocked the WWSs haven't been taken down yet.

I was a little concerned when the NAM and SREF weren't showing much for here in their longer ranges, but this is ridiculous. I'm frankly shocked the WWSs haven't been taken down yet.

They did drop them north of I 70. Afternoon disco talks of dropping a few more rows of counties soon. I think they were waiting to see how far north the last wave would go.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
0428 PM EST SUN MAR 02 2014

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 4.0 INCHES WAS SET AT FORT WAYNE TODAY. THIS
BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 3.2 SET IN 1982. THIS RECORD IS PRELIMARY
AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE BEFORE THE END OF THE DAY.

Nothing screams fail more than having to drop Winter Storm headlines in the "middle" of an "event."

2.5 IMBY, still see grass.  I guess this makes up for all of the over achievers this winter.  Was watching pressures to the west and NW all day yesterday, the models seemed to be to aggressive with the canadian ridge at the onset, pressure rises were 6 to 10 hours behind guidance it seemed.  When the ridge finally began to make good progress we were between waves.  Seemed to me the timing was the issue with the guidance, at least for central Indiana.

2.5 IMBY, still see grass.  I guess this makes up for all of the over achievers this winter.  Was watching pressures to the west and NW all day yesterday, the models seemed to be to aggressive with the canadian ridge at the onset, pressure rises were 6 to 10 hours behind guidance it seemed.  When the ridge finally began to make good progress we were between waves.  Seemed to me the timing was the issue with the guidance, at least for central Indiana.

Yep, I think you're spot on. Crappy luck/timing really. We got relatively lucky up here, getting in on the second wave last night/overnight.

Looks like a storm total of 2.4" for IND. Still need another 3.6" to set the season snow record.

SnowFreak - I guess you'll get your Christmas decorations down by Easter maybe!  :lmao:

Haha, nice pics!

:lmao: Most of the decorations were dug out during the 45F day...you think the slushyness makes it easy but it was still an icy mess lol. just couldnt get to the lights on the tree or the one deer. It has been a crazy crazy winter. The continual deepness of the snow is already in a league of its own, but those few days of going to a T depth in late December loom large now, as I have not had bare ground since Dec 8th, but the continuous streak of 1"+ had to start Dec 31st because of those few days of a T Christmas week...and now here we are 62 days later with a depth of 15" and core of about 4"! So while DTW is still 19 days away from breaking the all-time record of CONSECUTIVE 1"+ snowcover days in a winter, they are only 14 days away from breaking the record of TOTAL 1"+ snowcover days in a winter!

Archived