joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the models raise the stakes everyone's expectations go with it. I'm not worried about the south thing at all. It's almost locked to be a decent storm for all of us. Let the chips fall at this point

Eta: just a few short days ago we were wondering if we would get anything good at all

Not worried yet about any south trend. Now, if the rest of model suite follows tonight then maybe something consider. But as Matt has mentioned north shift seems probable. As most of us know storms tend to trend N/NW. Also, models have increased QPF last 24 hrs. Do you think that trend is over? Being that most storms have over performed this year. Matt, Bob ? Thanks.

Not worried yet about any south trend. Now, if the rest of model suite follows tonight then maybe something consider. But as Matt has mentioned north shift seems probable. As most of us know storms tend to trend N/NW. Also, models have increased QPF last 24 hrs. Do you think that trend is over? Being that most storms have over performed this year. Matt, Bob ? Thanks.

we've covered it like 20 times

As the models raise the stakes everyone's expectations go with it. I'm not worried about the south thing at all. It's almost locked to be a decent storm for all of us. Let the chips fall at this point

Eta: just a few short days ago we were wondering if we would get anything good at all

Only if you were hooked on the Euro. The GFS had a good winter storm. Mostly ice, but still.

They look about the same as last night right? On phone so I don't feel like comparing. Are they even that useful at this point? Useful meaning better than ops and other sr stuff.

I would think not. The lower resolution and at this time frame, not even looking at ensembles. 

I think the point about the press of the cold air is a valid one and gives a last minute northwest shift less plausibility. The models often have a hard time seeing the strength and depth of these Arctic air masses this year. Combine that with the fact that the cold air is moving in at the beginning of the storm instead of being already established and I think it lowers the confidence a bit in what exactly will happen. Regardless, many of you in the MA are going to get clocked when a couple of days ago you were hoping to get a couple of inches of snow after a mixy event. Good luck and enjoy!

Some of you guys are pathetic...living and dying by every model run..Its the NAM, it jumps around. Its nice for timing of storms, but generally it sucks on QPF and northern extrent of precip until basically under 24 hour..Im riding with a blend of GFS/EURO and Im golden for 6-10...If you want 3 feet move to Watertown NY or something

A relatively narrow qpf jackpot seems locked in.Everyone within 50 miles either way will do well. I personally doubt the max stripe moves much from where it is. Maybe 25 miles. Could be wrong. Just a guess.

Not sure how much wetter it can get overall. As it

stands now it's about as efficient as you can get with wringing out the atmosphere. If anything the 1.5"+ stuff is suspect to me.

If I was on the northern fringe of trends i would be nervous but I doubt good precip moving further south is as likely as it coming back north a tad. Both are possible of course. I like where my yard is that's for sure

I like the timing of this snowfall better than the last big one. By the time I woke up on 2/13 accumulations were too much for my modest sized snow blower, and I ended up shoveling a lot. This time, looks like later in the morning and more during daylight, so should be able to stay in front if IAD area ends up in the heavier bands.

Some of you guys are pathetic...living and dying by every model run..Its the NAM, it jumps around. Its nice for timing of storms, but generally it sucks on QPF and northern extrent of precip until basically under 24 hour..Im riding with a blend of GFS/EURO and Im golden for 6-10...If you want 3 feet move to Watertown NY or something

I  understand it is the NAM... but the RGEM followed suit

36 hours out and we jackpot, Philly wins.  All year.

Let's keep this thread CONTRIBUTORY.....meaning add something of value or ask a valuable question that hasn't been addressed yet that is something other than a circuitous way to ask "how much for my backyard".  I will cut down on my own banter..  There is nothing wrong with reading.  

A relatively narrow qpf jackpot seems locked in.Everyone within 50 miles either way will do well. I personally doubt the max stripe moves much from where it is. Maybe 25 miles. Could be wrong. Just a guess.

Not sure how much wetter it can get overall. As it

stands now it's about as efficient as you can get with wringing out the atmosphere. If anything the 1.5"+ stuff is suspect to me.

If I was on the northern fringe of trends i would be nervous but I doubt good precip moving further south is as likely as it coming back north a tad. Both are possible of course. I like where my yard is that's for sure

Thanks man. I still think 5" is my bar.

Archived