Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - March 2014 Pt. I

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell I am going all or nothing. Me and my southern tier buddies will see at least 6" if not more. North of Harrisburg, well you guys are probably screwed.

thanks I didn't know. I'd actually be worried now north of dc anywhere. Trends are obvious that the lead wave is going to drive the front south behind it and that second wave is showing no signs of being more amped. If anything it continues to trend south. The lead wave is giving some false hope because if u just look at total qpf it seems further north but most of the qpf north of bwi is with the front runner wave and its warm. That wave has a max potential of a few inches probably due to warmer temps. The second wave looks like a miss south of pa on just about everything right now. I'm about ready to move to the next threat if 0z shows no signs of improvement.

Remember that time when we were worried about mixing and a lot of sleet? Those where the days, oh wait that was like 24hrs ago. 

LOL...what a shame....oh well anything on the horizon?...thought there was something brewing for next weekend..Fri Sat time frame

Models way to strong with the high and confluence. GFS has a 1044mb isobar over northern ND right now. Pressure there right now is 1039mb. We will see if this makes a difference.

possible but bigger issue is the suppressive flow and lack of separation behind wave 1 for wave 2 to amp

possible but bigger issue is the suppressive flow and lack of separation behind wave 1 for wave 2 to amp

This storm is not about amping. It is where the front sets up and precip just streaming along it. Less cold push and confluence allows front to not push so far south. Via RGEM. 

I'm over this cold.

I prefer cold to hot and cool to warm. But today isn't that bad out, we spent a few hours cleaning our garden, cutting rose bushes, harvesting morning glory seeds, cutting down Russian sage and butterfly bushes, etc. It was a great day for that.

Had our apple tree trimmed Monday and cut up all that wood too and took to the Carlisle.

This storm is not about amping. It is where the front sets up and precip just streaming along it. Less cold push and confluence allows front to not push so far south. Via RGEM.

what you just described is the problem now. 36 hours ago we had a more consolidated and amped system. I'm not talking 980 or anything but a few mb makes a huge difference. The front was definitely being pushed back north by the wave on the guidance days ago that hammered pa with 12"+. As the lead wave started to race off ahead with some of the energy we saw a trend towards a flatter system that just slides along the front. That's not going to work for those of us north of 76. You can do ok down there if the front stalls a bit more but the models aren't going to be off by that much on the thermal boundary 24 hours out. For central pa we need that second wave to go back to a more amped solution like 36 hours ago so it can push the front back north. I see nothing to suggest that right now. I really thought once the models resolved the two wave setup today they would start to trend stronger with wave 2 again but that's just not happening. I suppose ill wait and glance at 0z before calling tod on central pa's hecs.

Archived