• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March Banter Thread

CAD_Wedge_NC

Going by the comments, Fox 8 must have pointed out NC Piedmont Weather directly. Then their post was later removed. I hate that I missed it too. 

Were they being critical of NC Piedmont Weather?  It looks like NC Piedmont Weather is going all-in... talking about blizzard conditions and all that.  Seems over the top to me, but we'll see.  Looks like he did a decent job forecasting the 3/17 ice storm, but I'm not so sure I'm buying a huge storm on 3/25 at this point.  I would not at all be surprised by a complete whiff, to be honest (I kind of feel like we'll see some flakes, though).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely mind blowing at the differences among the NWS offices.

Roxboro under RAH.

Tonight Partly cloudy, with a low around 43. South wind 3 to 8 mph.
Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 75. Southwest wind 7 to 14 mph.
Saturday Night A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 43. North wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Sunday Showers likely, mainly after 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 50. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Sunday Night A chance of showers before 3am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. North wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Semora,NC under Blacksburg

Tonight Partly cloudy, with a low around 44. Southwest wind 5 to 9 mph becoming light south.
Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 74. Southwest wind 7 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.
Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. North wind around 5 mph.
Sunday Rain likely, mainly after 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 47. North wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Sunday Night A chance of rain and snow before 1am, then a chance of snow between 1am and 2am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. North wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Mileage difference between the two

12-13 miles or roughly 20 minutes.

Robert has been quiet today. He was really being bullish last night.

Uhh maybe because the models are backing off.

I don't think those are his reasons for quiet, at all.  I really don't think Robert's opinions swing from extreme to extreme with each new episode of "As the models turn."  From reading his work for several years now, he often could not care less what a specific model output generates because he feels/knows that it's wrong.  The models are tools to be used in generating a forecast; they are not the end all, be all, as they are often treated in this forum.  We have a ton of impressive modelologists on this forum, but a much smaller number of actual meteorologists.  Until Robert sounds the "All clear," I'll continue to believe in the potential for early next week.

Fox 8 made fun of social media trying to predict weather. I forward the article about his joke, and made reference to February 12 minor snow forecast event that was being sold by all the stations including the Triad and Triangle. WXSouth was the first alert about 3 hours of very heavy snow in Central NC on Feb 12. . I made the reference that he giggles today, but I knew the weather would be high impact on Feb 12. I was safe and sound, but you show tune weather people make fun now,.Claim the prediction when the event happens, but stranded motorist tell the whole story, I had to drive in 5.5" of snow to rescue my family. Greensboro had people stranded like Raleigh. You play safe when the big call is needed, and pick on others when you play safe and risk our lives for your status.

Were they being critical of NC Piedmont Weather? It looks like NC Piedmont Weather is going all-in... talking about blizzard conditions and all that. Seems over the top to me, but we'll see. Looks like he did a decent job forecasting the 3/17 ice storm, but I'm not so sure I'm buying a huge storm on 3/25 at this point. I would not at all be surprised by a complete whiff, to be honest (I kind of feel like we'll see some flakes, though).

Well he did explain what blizzard conditions are. A lot of people were assuming it would be whiteout conditions with extremely deep snow.

Yeah, can someone squeeze some weather banter in between basketball jibber jabber! I'm not on twitter, and don't subscribe, but does anybody have Roberts thoughts after today's midday runs? JB or DT? I bet DT is a hot mess right now!

I can.  I've been out of town this afternoon. I thought we had a deal.

So is sport talk not allowed in the banter thread? where did my posts go? a bit overkill?

Meh.  No, not on top.  In lieu of.  The ACC tournament thread will be deleted next week. I made it to take the sport talk out of the banter thread. The ACC tournament has been a huge event in the SE for longer than I care to remember, so I relented from my first inclination of just deleting the sport posts. Any further ACC posts in banter will either be deleted or moved, as will posts from the NCAA tournament when that begins. Plan now to post any NCAA talk in the sport forum.

So is sport talk not allowed in the banter thread? where did my posts go? a bit overkill?

Meh.  No, not on top.  In lieu of.  The ACC tournament thread will be deleted next week. I made it to take the sport talk out of the banter thread. The ACC tournament has been a huge event in the SE for longer than I care to remember, so I relented from my first inclination of just deleting the sport posts. Any further ACC posts in banter will either be deleted or moved, as will posts from the NCAA tournament when that begins. Plan now to post any NCAA talk in the sport forum.

I haven't been on much lately since I've been busy with school so I missed the memo. Thanks jburns. Next time feel free to message me I don't want problems with the mods ;)

I haven't been on much lately since I've been busy with school so I missed the memo. Thanks jburns. Next time feel free to message me I don't want problems with the mods ;)

No problems.  To be honest, I didn't even read the names of the posters as I went through with my broom.

In case anyone is interested.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/43220-2014-ncaa-tournament-thread/

Can't do all that link stuff, but the MA forum, look under the sno bro thread, it's there on the last page. They did say it was THUNDERSNOW !

I found it.Probably exaggerating. How can 6 inches of snow fall in 10 minutes? :lol: It must have been like 60DBZ returns falling as snow.

Also did you watch that wicked dust devil video in that same thread. One of the coolest things ever to watch!

Here it is.So freaking cool!

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2014/03/21/massive-dust-devil-forms-during-controlled-burn/6714071/

I found it.Probably exaggerating. How can 6 inches of snow fall in 10 minutes? :lol: It must have been like 60DBZ returns falling as snow.

Also did you watch that wicked dust devil video in that same thread. One of the coolest things ever to watch!

Yeah, dust devil was sweet! You can't doubt the MA posters though!? 6 inches in ten minutes seems like a physics impossibility !

Hopefully the 0z Euro will come WAY west because I have a hard time betting against the Euro & CMC vs GFS

It will tick west.  Will it be enough?  I don't know.

(Okay, I'm just a weenie guessing... I don't know:weenie:  ;):)

EDIT: Or... maybe not.  At least it doesn't look any worse. :lol:

Time to ride the GFS to glory.  :yikes:

Archived