• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March Banter Thread

CAD_Wedge_NC

What's all this tom foolery aboot?  Snow in late March huh? 

I've been ready to turn the page to spring for the last 3 weeks, but the cold rain keeps hanging on in CLT.  Color me VERY skeptical of a storm.  Maybe a couple inches of slush that doesn't stick on the roads maybe, but I doubt we get anything else.  The usual suspects like I40/mountains may get more of course. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey super james

If this snowstorm delivers like it could and is showing... do you realize that some spots may have already surpassed 09-10. But for your area and mine this could blow 09-10 out the water all with a +AO, +NAO dominated winter.

If I remember correctly this area had about 18-19" that winter. From the rough measurements here... about 15.5 to 16" so far this season. Thats only about 2.5" more and it will top 99-00 and 09-10 for the snowiest season I've ever seen for mby.

Hey super james

If this snowstorm delivers like it could and is showing... do you realize that some spots may have already surpassed 09-10. But for your area and mine this could blow 09-10 out the water all with a +AO, +NAO dominated winter.

If I remember correctly this area had about 18-19" that winter. From the rough measurements here... about 15.5 to 16" so far this season. Thats only about 2.5" more and it will top 99-00 and 09-10 for the snowiest season I've ever seen for mby.

I will remember this winter because of the cold and the number of mix events.  Not one pure snow unless the next week threat holds.  I'm only about 20 miles south of Greensboro, but my snow totals are are significantly less due to more sleet and freezing rain.  Had about 7inches of snow/sleet during the big storm, the rest has been immeasurable, even though there were two major ice storms.

Greg Fishel showed the average temp for RDU for the months of December - February was only .2 below the 30 year average. That's remarkable, as it has felt like a much colder than normal winter. I would venture to say that we've had an above normal in terms of winter threats, and in some places, definitely above normal for actual snowfall totals against the 30 year average.

I will remember this winter because of the cold and the number of mix events.  Not one pure snow unless the next week threat holds.  I'm only about 20 miles south of Greensboro, but my snow totals are are significantly less due to more sleet and freezing rain.  Had about 7inches of snow/sleet during the big storm, the rest has been immeasurable, even though there were two major ice storms.

Yeah thats very true. Its like the models have been busting on the cold air aloft and alot more mixing issues than a typical winter.

Seems to be the year of extreme arctic blast and sleet.

Hey super james

Yeah, I think GSO is officially around 16" now and I'm at around ~15" IMBY.  With another decent storm, this will pass 2009-2010, which is crazy.  It hasn't felt that good, but I guess it has been.  2009-2010 was more of a "complete" winter whereas this winter has been heavily backloaded from late January until now.  In addition, we've had a lot more mixing issues than 2009-2010.  In some ways, this winter has been better as far as impacts go, though.  We didn't have any ice storms of note in 2009-2010.

Yeah, I think GSO is officially around 16" now and I'm at around ~15" IMBY.  With another decent storm, this will pass 2009-2010, which is crazy.  It hasn't felt that good, but I guess it has been.  2009-2010 was more of a "complete" winter whereas this winter has been heavily backloaded from late January until now.  In addition, we've had a lot more mixing issues than 2009-2010.  In some ways, this winter has been better as far as impacts go, though.  We didn't have any ice storms of note in 2009-2010.

And I'm less than 10 inches for sure.  Anyway James, how did the overnight EPS trend for GSO?

And I'm less than 10 inches for sure.  Anyway James, how did the overnight EPS trend for GSO?

Looks like the mean is 2.25" on the 00z EPS.  Some members show nothing, but most members show something.  More members show a "moderate" 2-6" even than a big dog type 6"+ event, though there is some support for a huge snowstorm, for sure.  Not bad.

RDU is about the same as GSO while CLT is around 1.3".  Asheboro is about 2.1".  There do seem to be some rather suppressed members.  Even PGV is ~1.4".

Looks like the mean is 2.25" on the 00z EPS.  Some members show nothing, but most members show something.  More members show a "moderate" 2-6" even than a big dog type 6"+ event, though there is some support for a huge snowstorm, for sure.  Not bad.

Thanks for the update! I guess we have a shot with any Miller A and a cold High.  

LOL, about half of my 14" "snow" total is sleet, too.  3" from the 3/6-3/7 storm alone....

I think I picked up about 6" from two main storms here. 1" of that was probably sleet/zr.

Would be nice to get half a foot of snow from a single storm. It would take that much, at least, to get to the tops of the weeds now covering my yard!

Wow Brick.  You are going all in with the rest of us.  Do you have any particular reason for your optimism?  Hope springs eternal or maybe....

Spring hopes eternal in this case.

Well, we have been stuck in a pattern all month of having a winter threat after a brief warm-up. I think one of those threats is bound to be a big one. And history has shown this time in March has produced some big ones. It's been a long time, so we are overdue.

Well, we have been stuck in a pattern all month of having a winter threat after a brief warm-up. I think one of those threats is bound to be a big one. And history has shown this time in March has produced some big ones. It's been a long time, so we are overdue.

Sounds about right to me.  I'm ready for an all-snow event.  Forget the sleet and freezing rain.

i wouldn't get caught up in the fine details at this points.. as the trough has to establish itself first before determining the track at this point and i'm guessing the saturday and sunday time frame will be the telling tale..also with the trough building in there will likely be a se trend instead of a nw trend as we have seen in january and febuary with all the potential from sunday night.. tuesday night and the models are hinting at a possible clipper system coming through... with all that cold around  and moisture i'm sure some people will see frozen precip further east than the last couple of systems... 

Nice! Right on the boundary again. If I was Packfan, ncweathern, superjames, jburns, and folks in those areas, I'd feel pretty decent right about now.

Thats true. Its going to snow. But just like all winter the models have underestimated the warm noses IMO. With the line right on the Wake/Durham counties line I just know its going to be snow>pingerfest>snow here and into the triad.

But I guess ip is ice too but I'd perfer the naturally shaved ice.

Archived