• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lunar Eclipse

iceman

Saw the moon rise last evening while I was out back finishing up some rustic hand roasting of coffee beans. It was a gorgeous almost full waxing gibbous. I will certainly check out the eclipse tonight. When viewable those full lunar eclipses are really neat with the dark reddish moon in totality. I remember one about two years ago.

'08 I think was the last full eclipse visible from the Americas.

Edit: Via a quick search, I also found out that the Ursid meteor shower may also be able to be seen during the eclipse because of the dimming of the full moon. It's also the first time the eclipse has fallen on the winter solstice in 372 years.

Source Link

i thought this only happens every 375 years what can be viewd tonight

the 300yrs part is the falling on Winter Solstice. They're usually eclipses twice a year or so, but not normally on this particular day. And a lot of the time, the US may not be the best place to view it. Too bad the clouds have really rolled in here thick. I hope to see some great pics by someone though.

the 300yrs part is the falling on Winter Solstice. They're usually eclipses twice a year or so, but not normally on this particular day. And a lot of the time, the US may not be the best place to view it. Too bad the clouds have really rolled in here thick. I hope to see some great pics by someone though.

same here, clouds have moved back in here as well :( seems to happen a lot when there are celestial events worth watching

'08 I think was the last full eclipse visible from the Americas.

Edit: Via a quick search, I also found out that the Ursid meteor shower may also be able to be seen during the eclipse because of the dimming of the full moon. It's also the first time the eclipse has fallen on the winter solstice in 372 years.

Source Link

So, what was the winter of 1638 like? (Seriously, I've Googled, Yahoo'd and searched everywhere).

Archived