• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh/Western PA Banter & Complaint Thread

Well...actually...

Its more like every 2 years for an 8-12" type storm. Every 5 years is more the 12"-15" storm- not that that makes u feel better. I dont know...top of my head IMBY for 9+...

Feb '03

Dec '03

February '10 (2 including 21")

March '13

So maybe 5 in 12 years and about 20 5-7" type storms where we couldnt get over the hump. It is what it is - just seems like we are always in a drought

That, and the Euro can suck my balls.

Well...actually...

Its more like every 2 years for an 8-12" type storm. I dont know...top of my head IMBY

Feb '03

Dec '03

February '10 (2 including 21")

March '13 - 9"

So maybe 5 in 12 years and about 20 5-7" type storms where we couldnt get over the hump. It is what it is - just seems like we are always in a drought

That, and the Euro can suck my balls.

I think Feb 2011 also would qualify... 7.9" on 21st, 0.6" on 20th and 0.7" on 22nd.

The region had a really nice stretch in the early-mid 90s that perhaps threw modern expectations off...?  I think that the 60s also were good for big snowstorms at PIT, and then the frequency began to drop off.

I was thinking about notable snowstorms for the Pgh metro.

And as I looked at the numbers, the dearth of noteworthy storms kinda suprised me.

Feb. 2003 and Feb 2010 were the last two big storms, and they were Miller B/hybrids.

Our real bread and butter is the Miller A though, at least in theory.

If I'm wrong please correct me, but I had to go all the way back to Jan 1996, to find the last noteworthy Miller A to hit the Metro.

That's a long freakin' time. Lol

And of course we had March 1993 and Jan.1994

So we had 3 big storms in 3 years, which has skewed the averages a bit for big storms.

Now obviously we've had smaller storms here and there, but not many.

We're overdue for a big Miller A.

I was thinking about notable snowstorms for the Pgh metro.

And as I looked at the numbers, the dearth of noteworthy storms kinda suprised me.

Feb. 2003 and Feb 2010 were the last two big storms, and they were Miller B/hybrids.

Our real bread and butter is the Miller A though, at least in theory.

If I'm wrong please correct me, but I had to go all the way back to Jan 1996, to find the last noteworthy Miller A to hit the Metro.

That's a long freakin' time. Lol

And of course we had March 1993 and Jan.1994

So we had 3 big storms in 3 years, which has skewed the averages a bit for big storms.

Now obviously we've had smaller storms here and there, but not many.

We're overdue for a big Miller A.

Sounds about right. The January, 1994 storm is still my all time favorite. I think I was in the absolute perfect location for that one. I lived in southwestern Westmoreland County at the time. I picked up 27 inches from that storm and most of it fell during the day. What made it even more great was we got hammered while the big cities to the east mainly got rain. That storm couldn't have tracked any more perfect, at least for where I was at.

I would love a repete of

Sounds about right. The January, 1994 storm is still my all time favorite. I think I was in the absolute perfect location for that one. I lived in southwestern Westmoreland County at the time. I picked up 27 inches from that storm and most of it fell during the day. What made it even more great was we got hammered while the big cities to the east mainly got rain. That storm couldn't have tracked any more perfect, at least for where I was at.

The 1994 storm was awesome, I got about 30".

I would love a repete of this storm and the Superstorm of 1993 as well.

:snowwindow::)

I was in Plum, Holiday Park for this storm. I worked in town and my drive at 7:00 am took 2 hours. I worked on the 7th floor of the Union National Building and I remember it was snowing so hard you could barely see the buildings across the street and it was big flakes too. Drove home at lunch time and had to leave my car in a lot on rt 286 and walk home and get it the next day. Those were the days.

We sure are overdue for a big storm. Seeing Boston get hammered makes me wish we could get just one of these to track well for us. Of course, it helps when you have an ocean nearby. Stick a low out there and you can get buried. Boston has picked up 64.4" the last two weeks alone. I think that would be our 6th highest total ever for an entire season.

Yeah, i saw that on the 6z, but just wondering how

much will be snow.

It's easy to get frustrated but it is early. We know what the odds are for us getting into the bullseye but something to watch. The storm is there and the precip is there. Now it is time to wait. At least we have some extreme cold before the storm. I am holding out hope that the extreme cold pushed the last storm south of us. Maybe this time it will knock it south and put us in the snow path. Either way it looks like a front end back end snow at least.

Today's 12z GFS is further NW. We get a rainstorm book ended with bitter cold, not even a decent front end dump. :axe:  If that is what happens I'll be in line with those begging for the pattern to break down even if it means an end to winter. This has been one of the most frustrating winters in awhile. At least the mild ones you know you don't have much of a chance. It's getting towards the time in the year that these little 1-2 inch deals aren't that enjoyable, although the squall was awesome. With the sun it just melts or sublimates away.

Today's 12z GFS is further NW. We get a rainstorm book ended with bitter cold, not even a decent front end dump. :axe: If that is what happens I'll be in line with those begging for the pattern to break down even if it means an end to winter. This has been one of the most frustrating winters in awhile. At least the mild ones you know you don't have much of a chance. It's getting towards the time in the year that these little 1-2 inch deals aren't that enjoyable, although the squall was awesome. With the sun it just melts or sublimates away.

People are finally seeing the light. Its just not our year and this pattern is awful for us.

Today's 12z GFS is further NW. We get a rainstorm book ended with bitter cold, not even a decent front end dump. :axe: If that is what happens I'll be in line with those begging for the pattern to break down even if it means an end to winter. This has been one of the most frustrating winters in awhile. At least the mild ones you know you don't have much of a chance. It's getting towards the time in the year that these little 1-2 inch deals aren't that enjoyable, although the squall was awesome. With the sun it just melts or sublimates away.

And as it turns out, it wasn't warmth and rain we had to worry about...