• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Banter & Complaint Thread

STJ STJ !!!

Despite it's best efforts, this winter just hasn't been able to muster much offense on it's own.

As we saw on Sunday night into Monday, the cold air alone isn't doing the job.

We need to trade for a "hired gun", and that playmaker would be a strong STJ.

Like any trade you gotta give something to get something.

These dry arctic airmasses are overkill, a strong polar intrusion should be enough.

Coupled with the energy and lift from the STJ, these storms will be more dynamic, resulting in better significant snow chances.

8 inches. Is that too much to ask for? Good news is the MJO is not affecting the pattern like it should. The MJO was in phases 5/6 during the past Arctic blast and that usually means extremely warm temperatures for the east. Yet that did not happen. Hopefully we can get some blocking and get atleast one warning critera storm.

Maxing out on snow potential is in our blood, nothing can change that.

However even if mixing occurs, most of us in the metro should get at least 3-5 ".

IMHO I feel this storm maxs out at 8" anyways.

I know... I hate mixing as much as anyone, but in reality our big storm is a strong Miller A that travels up through the piedmont.

2/16/03 and 2/5/10 are the rare exceptions.

Yeah this result is pretty much what I expected after yesterday.  Storm looks great for ~10 days (minus a few off runs) and then in the final 48 hours, it cuts north by 100+ miles.  This is a true 40+ north winter, just isn't our year.  There are always chances in February, but at this point the pattern is what it is: I'll be writing off all storms until we get into the 24-hour window and all looks safe (with a large cushion for misfires).

Yep another miss for SW PA, funny how the same thing happened march 1st storm of last year expect that time the models trended way south after having a 12 inch storm for everyone about 3 days out

It is amazing that no matter what, we get a terrible trend here. We are supposed to get a 10 inch storm here every 5 years...It seems the last 15 years or so there was 2/5/10 and that's it.