• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Banter & Complaint Thread

Exactly what I was thinking. We've been bullseyed 24 hour out before with 10 + inches all snow, only to have the mix line move to the ny/pa state line by the time the event starts. I've even seen events thr were going to hit Cleveland three or four days out end up south if us.

It never moved the right way for us!

Yea it definitely seems like we have some bad luck. I really thought this was a great set up for us to have a big one though. It seems like most of our big storms were modeled south and nudged north at the end. Anything else is usually slop, even with good tracks. 

Yea it definitely seems like we have some bad luck. I really thought this was a great set up for us to have a big one though. It seems like most of our big storms were modeled south and nudged north at the end. Anything else is usually slop, even with good tracks. 

I was thinking the same thing, if we were sweating the r/s line you know this would have shifted 75 miles north to give us slop lol.

Well my cousin in Kentucky is still getting bigger snow falls than us. Last year he got 14 inches and we can't buy 5+. I already cancelled my weatherbell subscription and have one foot out the door. Let's be honest though, there will be a fantasy run and I'll be right back in.

I'll refrain from any bitterness until tomorrow.

If things play out as forecasted, it'll definetly sting.

If its any consolation we are foretasted to get into the 40s on Monday and Tuesday with rain showers. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't pass on a potentially historic blizzard because of that, but seeing a warm-up after a big snow is a downer for me. That's why once we get into March it better be big or go home when it comes to snow in my book.

I'd love to get a big snow in early to mid January followed by a cold spell with some clippers dropping a fresh 2-4 every couple days, then another big one as the pattern breaks down.

If its any consolation we are foretasted to get into the 40s on Monday and Tuesday with rain showers. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't pass on a potentially historic blizzard because of that, but seeing a warm-up after a big snow is a downer for me. That's why once we get into March it better be big or go home when it comes to snow in my book.

I'd love to get a big snow in early to mid January followed by a cold spell with some clippers dropping a fresh 2-4 every couple days, then another big one as the pattern breaks down.

With a possible SWE occurring and with the Nino breaking down. I think we have a shot of atleast scoring a winter level snowfall.

So since this seems to be over performing for everyone (posters in the South especially) what is better, having a big snowfall modeled at least 2-3 days in advance and it actually verifying so you get to soak in all the hype etc, or something like this that ends up being more than forecast with advisories and warnings be added \ upgraded on the fly?

Not really bitter today, just a bit dissapointed overall.

We got the duration, but just couldn't get those heavy rates here.

But in reality, outside of an occasional superband, like what the mid-mon valley saw last night, we're just too far away from the coast to get those double digit storms here in Pittsburgh.

Nice job also with everyones input this week.

Especially the Colonel, for all the map data going back before the Steeler game.

This is a pretty nice link to see what kind of snowstorms we have received. Credit goes to Ian from the midatlantic forum.

http://xmacis.rcc-acis.org/

Single station -> extremes -> year range: 1980-2016 -> Length of period 2 or 3 days (will miss some if you only do two, or even PDII if you do three). Station selection - station of choice.

The numbers don't lie when it comes to KPITs' 10"+ storm climo, compared to east coast locations.

KPIT :            (4) 10"+ storms in 35 years

Dulles (D.C.) (5) 10"+ storms in the past 6 years

Great program though.

I don't remember 2-28-84, however the PSU e-wall site shows it as a rare, rain to heavy snow event.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1984.html

12-11-92 might be my favorite, just because it was the first big storm I was aware of. (Sans the 4-4-87 heartbreaker)

I remember trudging home through the heavy wet snow after a pre-lunch early dismissal, but loving every minute of it. Lol.

• 2 weeks later...

That is my neck of the woods. Lets see what it does for me.

Side note- you all make winter so much better knowing we all are in the same boat. I appreciate all the input on this board.

On a side note, is Kamikazees on 30 still open ?

And if so, do they still do the topless (sometimes everything) bartending evening service.

Went there with some co workers about 10 years ago, and it was interesting. LOL