Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Banter & Complaint Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The past 20 years have yielded only 3 double digit storms. ( Officially at KPIT Jan 96 wasn't 10" but most of us reached double digits).

But a lack of 10" storms hasn't always been the case.

Doing some quick research I found that between 1956 - 1967 Pgh had 6 or 7 double digit storms.

Of course we know the 60's were the Golden age for snow in Pgh.

So this isn't too suprising.

Turn on KDKA today. 4oclock news Jon Burnett says rain arriving after 6PM in Pittsburgh area. Showers and a storm much of the evening until 1PM tomorrow. As much as 0.5" of rain.

5oclock comes, Jeff says that today is turning out just as expected with only rain south of I-70 and just a few showers for Pittsburgh area tonight, ending by morning, rain totals less than 0.25".  So I guess they weren't on the same page?? 

It's already rained 0.36" at KPIT. Steady rains as far north as I-80 tonight  :arrowhead:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I sure would like to see some snow before the end of the year.  That'd be really nice.  Everyone keeps asking me when it's going to snow.  I usually just say, "Sometime before April."

Yep. Just give us something to track. Every day the long term models show storms only to see warm up and nothing. :axe:

Models seem to have been hinting at something in the 18-21 time frame correlating with a brief +PNA Anything we can get to buckle that raging Pacific Jet will help. Euro and GFS both have a system that would give us "some" snow I think.

post-328-0-58796400-1449846290_thumb.jpg

Even if this doesn't work out, I'm hopeful the favorable periods will become increasingly more frequent as the pattern evolves and we hopefully get the trough access to come east. That with our coldest climo period and an active STJ should yield some opportunities.

Absolutely incredible, its almost 60 degrees at 9:30am on December 12th with rays of sun coming through the clouds. Stepped out onto the deck in shorts and no shirt to get the dog in and it wasn't even uncomfortable. :sun:

If you are gonna torch a winter month away I guess this is the way to do it. From a snow perspective whats the difference if its 40 or 60?

• 3 weeks later...

Well Winter should be arriving soon now, I just found a zip lock bag of snow I had in the freezer from last winter for the Science Center free admission day over the summer that we never used. I dumped it out in the yard. So whats the big deal? I've always had this superstition from when I was a kid that winter couldn't return if I had snow preserved via some unnatural means. I used to freeze snow from big storms in the freezer then when a thaw would come and no end was in sight I'd dump the snow out and winter coincidentally always returned. :arrowhead:

Gotta have some fun with this lousy winter. :guitar:

Finished December 2015 as the second warmest all time.

Now I'm not sure how important keeping accurate daily temps were back in 1889, but we'll have to assume that due dilligence was done, and Dec 1889 is still the record warmest.

On a side note I looked at the top ten warmest Decembers, and total snowfall for those seasons.

And although the sample size is small, most featured >25" snowfall for the season.

So it would be a kick in the you know what, if Jeff V., busted high on his forecast. Lol

We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the model madness would start tonight, suprised by the big jumps last night. Lol

Although the Euro did have this storm originally squashed south, before the jump north Monday morning.

Sorta like the Steeler-Bronco game, it's a wait and see attitude.

I have until late Thursday night to really have any feelings on the storm, although it's hard not to get fired up with such potential.

I thought the model madness would start tonight, suprised by the big jumps last night. Lol

Although the Euro did have this storm originally squashed south, before the jump north Monday morning.

Sorta like the Steeler-Bronco game, it's a wait and see attitude.

I have until late Thursday night to really have any feelings on the storm, although it's hard not to get fired up with such potential.

If it's anything like the game then I'd rather just completely miss than get fringed with 2-4.

If it's anything like the game then I'd rather just completely miss than get fringed with 2-4.

I'd take 2-4 inches, but if we are talking anything under 2 I'm with you. Seeing the flakes fall will just be a reminder of what we are missing out on. I'll torture myself though and probably go into the obs thread in MA forum during the storm lol

I cannot believe the consistency the models have had. If this was pittsburgh in the bullseye 3 days out it would end up in detroit.

Exactly what I was thinking. We've been bullseyed 24 hour out before with 10 + inches all snow, only to have the mix line move to the ny/pa state line by the time the event starts. I've even seen events thr were going to hit Cleveland three or four days out end up south if us.

It never moved the right way for us!