joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/15 Obs Thread

jm1220

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

save for February blizzard on LI. seems almost every coastal storms hit NYC/NJ/HV and SWCT no matter what models say at times. not saying for this storm but for others the past decade

<Longs for the day when this incredible misrepresentation of reality ends>

Total Snowfall

2000-01 through 2012-13 (Last 13 Years)

Boston / Logan Airport: 620.9 inches / average 47.76 inches

Brookhaven Lab, L.I. / Upton: 538.6 inches / average 41.43 inches

New York City / Central Park: 410.1 inches / average 31.55 inches

Philadelphia / International Airport: 321.9 inches / average 24.76 inches

Baltimore / BWI Airport: 253.0 inches / average 19.46 inches

Washington / Reagan Airport: 182.7 inches / average 14.05 inches

•  

Central LI. 

1/2 inch. Storm is a bust.  Supposed to be 3-7 inches forecast, will be lucky to break 1.5".  Radar is falling apart. 

Buddy of mine just sent me a picture of almost 2.5 in Middle Island. I'm Just over 3.5" here in Kings Park. You're closer to him than me but I DOUBT you have just a 1/2"

Central LI. 

1/2 inch. Storm is a bust.  Supposed to be 3-7 inches forecast, will be lucky to break 1.5".  Radar is falling apart. 

Some of the heaviest snow in the region is falling in the Selden area right now per radar...unless I've taken leave of my senses...which is quite possible.

Really been great snowfall for the past 90 minutes or so. New snowfall today is up to 2", with another 1/2" in the last 35 minutes. Snowing close to heavily, with visibility just beyond 1/4 mile. About 1.25" on all paved surfaces now with temps down to 31F. Radar looking like the 20-25 DBZ band is just about to end for us from the west - not clear if we'll get much more, although the regional composite radar looks like it's still snowing in eastern PA, so maybe we can tack on another inch. Gorgeous out there.

Been snowing lightly to occasionally moderately for the last 90 minutes, bringing my total of new snow to 2.75" (0.75" in the last 1.5 hours sounds about right); about 2" on paved surfaces, as temps remain below freezing (31F) and the sun is down, so no longer any widening discrepancy between paved and cold surfaces. Looks like the back edge is about upon us, so unless one of those thin bands in eastern PA/western NJ holds together, not sure we'll make it to 3" - but it's possible.

Just shoveled - it's so pretty out there. A word to the wise: shovel soon, before it freezes into a solid cement ice sheet overnight with temps in the teens.

Archived