• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

Well this is a2 hour change map vs the 3 hour change map on unisys and you can see the -1 there east of SC, which matches up with Unisys map which has a finer contour interval.

I dont think it is premature if you have always thought the Euro track was too far west like I have.

Doesnt mean I will be right of course, but we shall sees

I see slight pressure raises in the Gulf with only falls in small area to the NE of center where you would expect with current model solution and just off in the Atlantic.  What I'm suggesting is this is just noise in the data so to speak so probably nothing to hang a hat on quite yet.  Yes-I'm on the other side of the fence-favor a more inland solution.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this is a2 hour change map vs the 3 hour change map on unisys and you can see the -1 there east of SC, which matches up with Unisys map which has a finer contour interval.

I dont think it is premature if you have always thought the Euro track was too far west like I have.

Doesnt mean I will be right of course, but we shall sees

One of our local mets said several days ago that he felt the track would be offshore and the models were to far inland,he felt maybe 75-100 miles east of hatteras as this is typically the preferred track in these setups with such a strong high, but the models have doggedly shot that theory down. Doesn't mean the models are right though :)

All one has to do is look at pressure falls and the HRRR forecast to see that a further east solution is very likely. HRRR has been king in the short range this year, handling all the complex snows here in the Southeast as well as the NE exceptionally well. Here is where it has the surface low in 15 hours, further south and east from the other models.

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/displayMapLocalDiskDateDomainZip.cgi?keys=hrrr_jet:&runtime=2014021211&plot_type=3hap_t6sfc&fcst=15&time_inc=60&num_times=16&model=hrrr&ptitle=HRRR%20Model%20Fields%20-%20Experimental&maxFcstLen=15&fcstStrLen=-1&domain=t6&adtfn=1

One of our local mets said several days ago that he felt the track would be offshore and the models were to far inland,he felt maybe 75-100 miles east of hatteras as this is typically the preferred track in these setups with such a strong high, but the models have doggedly shot that theory down. Doesn't mean the models are right though :)

I wonder if it the more inland track shown is because the high is retreating so ferociously?

Certainly possible. I have been favoring a slightly off shore track the whole time offshore of SC/GA and then across the Outer Banks.

The coastal plain track of the Euro just seemed to far west to me with an established wedge.

Ok Def something to watch for... being pushed over the Gulf stream could get interesting.

I agree.. its almost impossible for a system to track into a wedge.  Same with this system.

Now if the LP tracks off shore that would mean that the upper levels will fall in closer line with slp.

So good possibilty of the 850 tracking over and just of 95 to right? It would certainly cut out mixing concerns towards my area and triad area.

But my MS paint art.

post-7245-0-03380500-1392212941_thumb.pn

Pressure falls and likely location of lows is physics.  Physics trump models in my mind -- unless we have something in the interim that'll move the greatest pressure falls further west over time (like an eroding high) I imagine that's a very good look at how this storm will unfold this afternoon and into this evening.

mcd0089.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0089
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0744 AM CST WED FEB 12 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...NORTH/CENTRAL GA AND SC/WESTERN NC

CONCERNING...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION

VALID 121344Z - 121815Z

SUMMARY...A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM WILL CONTINUE ESPECIALLY ACROSS
PARTS OF GA/CAROLINAS THIS MORNING. CONSIDERABLE ICE ACCUMULATIONS
ARE LIKELY TO CONTINUE TO OCCUR ACROSS NORTH-CENTRAL/EAST-CENTRAL GA
INTO THE PIEDMONT/COASTAL PLAIN OF SC...WHILE AT LEAST MODERATE SNOW
WILL BECOME INCREASINGLY COMMON IN UPSTATE AREAS AND NEAR THE
APPALACHIANS.

DISCUSSION...IN GENERAL ASSOCIATION WITH AN AMPLIFYING SHORTWAVE
TROUGH OVER THE LOWER MS VALLEY...EARLY MORNING SATELLITE/RADAR
IMAGERY INDICATE AN EVOLVING BAROCLINIC LEAF STRUCTURE AND EXTENSIVE
MID-HIGH CLOUD/PRECIPITATION SHIELD FROM PARTS OF AL/GA INTO THE
CAROLINAS. THIS PRECIPITATION IS WITHIN/NORTH OF A STRENGTHENING
LOW-LEVEL JET/WARM CONVEYOR IMPLIED PER WSR-88D VWP/12Z RAOB DATA.
AS SIGNIFICANT UVV/S OVERSPREAD THE REGION...COLD AIR DAMMING WILL
CONTINUE TO SUPPORT SIGNIFICANT WINTER PRECIPITATION THIS MORNING
ESPECIALLY ACROSS NORTHERN/EASTERN GA INTO THE CAROLINAS. AS A ROUGH
SOUTHERN DEMARCATION OF THE MOST IMPACTFUL ICE/SNOW THIS
MORNING...THE SURFACE WET BULB 32F LINE AS OF 13Z CONTINUES TO MAKE
A SLOW/STEADY SOUTHWARD ADVANCEMENT /APPROX 25 MILE CHANGE PER HR/.
AT 13Z...THE 32F WET BULB LINE EXTENDS FROM W/SW OF THE ATLANTA
METRO AREA...SOUTHEASTWARD ACROSS NORTH-CENTRAL GA...PARALLELING
I-16 TO NEAR MACON/STATESBORO GA TO NEAR-IMMEDIATE COASTAL AREAS OF
THE CAROLINAS.

THE 12Z OBSERVED /PARTIAL/ SOUNDING FROM ATLANTA GA SAMPLED A WARM
LAYER AROUND 850 MB/1200 M AGL CONDUCIVE FOR FULL/PARTIAL MELTING
ATOP A SUB-FREEZING /AROUND -4C AT 500 M/ NEAR-SURFACE LAYER. THIS
SCENARIO WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT FREEZING RAIN/SOME SLEET WITHIN A
CORRIDOR ACROSS NORTHWEST/NORTH-CENTRAL/EAST-CENTRAL GA INCLUDING
I-20 INTO THE PIEDMONT/COASTAL PLAIN OF SC. THE 12Z OBSERVED
SOUNDING FROM CHARLESTON SC FEATURED A FULL-MELTING CONDUCIVE LAYER
BASED AROUND 500 M ATOP A VERY SHALLOW NEAR/SUB-FREEZING LAYER.

TO THE NORTH...SNOW /WITH SOME SLEET MIXED IN/ SHOULD GRADUALLY
INCREASE THROUGH LATE MORNING/EARLY AFTERNOON...WITH AT LEAST
MODERATE SNOW BECOMING MORE COMMON PARTICULARLY ACROSS EXTREME
NORTHEAST GA/FAR NORTHERN SC INTO NC INCLUDING THE I-85 CORRIDOR.
GIVEN INCREASING SATURATION/UVV AND A RELATIVELY FAVORABLE DENDRITIC
GROWTH PROFILE...LOCALIZED SNOW RATES COULD REACH 1 IN/HR BY LATE
MORNING.

..GUYER.. 02/12/2014

Pressure falls and likely location of lows is physics.  Physics trump models in my mind -- unless we have something in the interim that'll move the greatest pressure falls further west over time (like an eroding high) I imagine that's a very good look at how this storm will unfold this afternoon and into this evening.

I guess models aren't based on physics lol

I guess models aren't based on physics lol

I guess I should say that observation trumps models, sorry about that.  The models have to get a lot of things right to get to the right answer.  They have to predict the pressure fall locations first in order to get the path right.  Now that we've observed where the pressure falls are the really hard part is done, physics will do its thing.

I'm not feeling good about it here in WNC foothills the more eastern track isn't good for us. The radar doesn't look good either

Yeah, the radar is worrisome, heavier returns in upstate are down around Greenwood to Laurens, not the 85 corridor. I am north of 85 and getting steady snow but nothing that would add up to 8-12 inches. I am hoping the enhancement as the storm goes negative tilt will really kick in for us foothills people.

I guess I should say that observation trumps models, sorry about that.  The models have to get a lot of things right to get to the right answer.  They have to predict the pressure fall locations first in order to get the path right.  Now that we've observed where the pressure falls are the really hard part is done, physics will do its thing.

no need for apologies, I think my sarcasm was bit condescending.  Sorry about that BigWeather.  This one is on me :)

Phil, that is very easy to see. Can you explain a little about how the interaction will affect the development of precipitation today. Will this be part of the phase?

The phase with the Kansas energy is what puts this thing into high gear and bomb the low near the SE coast.

Phil, that is very easy to see. Can you explain a little about how the interaction will affect the development of precipitation today. Will this be part of the phase?

Yes this is part of the phase. You can see the first s/w impulse ejecting out of TX and causing the precipitation you all are currently experiencing. However, when the second s/w dropping into KS merges with the first s/w, it will spawn a very dynamic and negatively tilted 500 hPa low. The end result is that you get a structure very similar to what was seen in March 2009 over the area, a nice deformation zone forms N and E of the surface cyclone. GSP did an excellent case study with that event:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/localdat/cases/2009/1-2March2009Snow/1-2MarchSnow.html

Here you can see the nice "comma head" that everyone talks about so much in associated with baroclinic cyclones. 

Conv_Belts_2025Z.jpg

Comp_Ref_Mosaic_21Z_1Mar09.jpg

to those naysayers in nc dont worry about the radar, it is fine and will fill in. people are freaking in ga cos the news reports keep emphasizing "this is just the beginning the worst (or best depending on your point of view :lol: ) is still to come"

the are talking about it snowing here ALL DAY.  hang in there.

you can really see the wedge eating at the precip, and no wonder. my temp is down to 20.5 wow

Archived