joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the response. Do you have an opinion of this storm? Sorry if you already posted but you are money in the bank. thank you in advance. 

Well I don't know where you are located, but the snow/sleet line looks like its going to hug I-85 west of CLT and probably be north of it when you go further east. The Blue Ridge Mountains of NC/SC are probably in the best shape for highest accumulations. 

WPC not liking the NAM...

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION  
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD  1200 AM EST WED FEB 12 2014    VALID FEB 12/0000 UTC THRU FEB 15/1200 UTC    ...SEE NOUS42 KWNO (ADMNFD) FOR THE STATUS OF THE UPPER AIR  INGEST...    00Z NAM/GFS EVALUATION AND PRELIMINARY PREFERENCES  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  NAM/GFS INITIALIZATION ERRORS DO NOT APPEAR TO SIGNIFICANTLY  AFFECT THEIR LARGE SCALE OUTPUT.    EASTERN U.S. CYCLONE AND WINTER STORM  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 00Z GFS / 12Z ECMWF / 21Z SREF MEAN  CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE ON THE LARGE SCALE...BELOW AVERAGE FOR  PRECIPITATION TYPE    RELATIVELY SMALL DIFFERENCES STILL EXIST BETWEEN THE LATEST  AVAILABLE GUIDANCE ON THE SYNOPTIC SCALE...BUT THESE DIFFERENCES  TRANSLATE TO LARGE IMPACTS AT THE SURFACE WITH P-TYPE. ONE  CONSISTENT TREND HAS BEEN SLOWER FROM LAST NIGHTS MODEL RUNS...BUT  THERE HAS BEEN MORE OF A WOBBLE OCCURRING BETWEEN EAST/WEST  DISPLACEMENT WITH THE UPPER TROUGH / CORRESPONDING SURFACE LOW  WITH EACH MODEL RUN. THE 00Z NAM IS STILL ON THE WEAKER SIDE OF  THE GUIDANCE WITH THE AMPLIFYING UPPER TROUGH INTO THE SOUTHEAST  EARLY THU AND NEVER REALLY CLOSES OFF A CENTER AT 500 MB...WHICH  IS A SIGNIFICANT DEPARTURE FROM THE REMAINING MODELS. THE NAM  THEREFORE HAS A DIFFERING 850 MB LOW ORIENTATION AND IS  FASTER/WEAKER AT THE SURFACE. THE 00Z GFS POSITION LOOKS  FINE...JUST A BIT EAST OF THE 12Z ECMWF BUT IS WEAKER AT 850-500  MB BY ABOUT 30 M.    THE LATEST ENSEMBLE SCATTER LOW PLOTS...INITIALIZED 12Z/11...SHOW  3 CLUSTERS AT 00Z/14. THE ECMWF CLUSTER IS OVER THE DELMARVA WITH  THE 12Z ECMWF ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE ECMWF MEMBERS...FOLLOWED BY  THE GEFS MEMBERS ENE OF THE ECMWF...AND THE CMC NORTHEAST OF THE  GEFS. GIVEN THE TWO SHORTWAVES RESPONSIBLE FOR THE EAST COAST  STORM ARE CURRENTLY OVER THE U.S. AND APPEAR TO BE WELL  SAMPLED...THE REASONABLY CONSISTENT GFS/ECMWF/UKMET APPEAR TO BE  WOBBLING ABOUT A POINT LIKELY TO VERIFY...ALONG WITH THE SREF  MEAN...WILL PREFER A BLEND OF THE 00Z GFS / 12Z ECMWF / 21Z SREF.

Good luck to you all down there. Freezing rain storms are not a lot of fun. Especially once you get over an inch of precip. Sleet is better, but kind of annoying because you know if there was just a couple of degrees difference, that sleet would be snow piling up. At least sleet doesn't take down power lines and trees. 

Looking at the RAP, it has some insane rates for the western end towards the end of the run.

the last couple of RAP runs have slowly increased the amounts to almost the sc border.  if this keeps up and verifies there is going to be a lot of stuff falling from the skies across a huge portion of the se

Looking at the RAP, it has some insane rates for the western end towards the end of the run.

I was just looking over that, and it looks like our storm is just really starting to tilt and pivot at that point.  Also, 850 low is in a good spot at the end of the RAP.  Over North Alabama and North Mississippi.

It still tracks inland.  I don't know how I get snow out of this setup, but that's what the model says.  995 mb LP over New Bern at hr 36... The deformation band is hammering the western Piedmont and especially the northern foothills hard.

The deformation band means business for N NC.  Somewhere   Mt. Airy is being crushed at hr 42.  1"+/hr rates, no doubt.  850s are absolutely crashing into the -5C territory.

By hr 48, the deformation band is pulling out... still showing some snow from GSO-northward.  The QPF totals from this run are going to be insane.

Delta,

This was in the 6z update in the FFC AFD. Thought you might find it interesting.

06Z UPDATE...
NO MAJOR CHANGES TO THE TAF EXCEPT FOR THE MCN AREA WHERE IT APPEARS
IT WILL GET TO FREEZING EARLIER THAN EXPECTED AND WILL SWITCH OVER
THE RAIN TO FREEZING RAIN AROUND NOON TODAY. FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET
WILL BEGIN EARLY THIS MORNING IN ATL/AHN AREAS AND CONTINUE INTO
THIS EVENING...SWITCHING OVER TO SNOW LATE THIS EVENING WHILE CSG
WILL REMAIN MOSTLY RAIN UNTIL THIS EVENING WHEN IT WILL BECOME MIXED
WITH SNOW. EXPECT IFR CONDITIONS ALL AREAS THROUGH THE FORECAST.
WINDS WILL BECOME GUSTY OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS AS THE WEDGE
STRENGTHENS. WINDS WILL REMAIN GUSTY THROUGH MOST OF THE FORECAST.

Delta,

This was in the 6z update in the FFC AFD. Thought you might find it interesting.

06Z UPDATE...

NO MAJOR CHANGES TO THE TAF EXCEPT FOR THE MCN AREA WHERE IT APPEARS

IT WILL GET TO FREEZING EARLIER THAN EXPECTED AND WILL SWITCH OVER

THE RAIN TO FREEZING RAIN AROUND NOON TODAY. FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET

WILL BEGIN EARLY THIS MORNING IN ATL/AHN AREAS AND CONTINUE INTO

THIS EVENING...SWITCHING OVER TO SNOW LATE THIS EVENING WHILE CSG

WILL REMAIN MOSTLY RAIN UNTIL THIS EVENING WHEN IT WILL BECOME MIXED

WITH SNOW. EXPECT IFR CONDITIONS ALL AREAS THROUGH THE FORECAST.

WINDS WILL BECOME GUSTY OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS AS THE WEDGE

STRENGTHENS. WINDS WILL REMAIN GUSTY THROUGH MOST OF THE FORECAST.

Thank you for sharing that with me...I did see that on our NWS chat...I appreciate that though!  I agree, I think around 10am to noon 

Archived