Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion III

Marion_NC_WX

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
0640Z FRI FEB 14 2014

AN UPDATE FROM THE NWS TELECOMMUNICATIONS GATEWAY...

FROM - NWSTG
TO - ALL
SUBJECT - NWSTG COMMS OUTAGE
UPDATE 001
THE NWSTG CONFIRMED A MAJOR FIBER CUT HAS TAKEN
PLACE - MOST SEVERE IMPACT AT THIS TIME IS NO
CONNECTIVITY FROM NCEP TO THE NWSTG - NETWORK
ENGINEERS ARE CONTINUING TO WORK THE PROBLEM -
YOUR PATIENCE DURING THIS TIME IS APPRECIATED.
NWSTG

HANDEL/SDM/NCO/NCEP

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jon, I agree with you.

I glanced over the EPS 00z stuff at 500mb & 850 anomaly.. and anywhere between Feb 28- First week 1/2 of March looks highly possible to suprise someone.

Not quite sure I see a "big dog" type setup.. but the signals are there this far out to definitely let go of this period we are about to enter.. and actually have something to talk about in this pattern discussion for a while.

You guys do notice the severe popping up on GFS for the Tornado Alley?  Around hr 204 on GFS at least?  980MB Lakes low.. whew!

I agree, guys. We look to warm up for a bit but then it looks like winter returns for a while. The CFS looks neutral/slightly below for March re: temps. I haven't been monitoring the trends there, but now that we got winter storm 2 out of the way, I will. The indexes look marginal, according to the CPC site, but that hasn't been a huge deal so far. I still don't see an ideal pattern shaping up yet, but the MJO looks like it might pay a visit to phases 1 and 8. It hasn't really played a big role this winter, so that may be irrelevant also. We'll see.

Anyway, toward the end of the month looks like a good period to start getting interested in. Winter aint over yet.

There's near 100% agreement on the models that it will turn quite a bit colder in about 10 days and continue at least into early March. Euro weeklies in total agreement and they also suggest it won't be dry. This winter has been something else lol. I'm loving it. Spring can wait til spring!

Fwiw, the 12Z GFS has -12 C 850's at ATL near end of month with highs on 2/28 barely above freezing. Freeze into north FL 3/1. Those who want an early spring? Ain't happening, which is perfectly fine with me. Euro weeklies agree. Long live winter! Bring it on!

Fwiw, the 12Z GFS has -12 C 850's at ATL near end of month with highs on 2/28 barely above freezing. Freeze into north FL 3/1. Those who want an early spring? Ain't happening, which is perfectly fine with me. Euro weeklies agree. Long live winter! Bring it on!

Is this what you are talking about? I'm also trying to find cold at the end of the month as I am not ready to say goodbye to winter just yet.

post-10329-0-32323800-1392399289_thumb.g

Is this what you are talking about? I'm also trying to find cold at the end of the month as I am not ready to say goodbye to winter just yet.

Yes, that's the one! -12 C 850's north ATL burbs (with highs that day only in the 30's) is to what I was referring.

I try to temper my excitement given how this is so far out, but I remember the models all picking up on our most recent storm at least 10 days out so who's to say. The Euro seems to show the cold air pushing South on the 22nd to the 24th as well. Getting the cold here is half the battle.

There's near 100% agreement on the models that it will turn quite a bit colder in about 10 days and continue at least into early March. Euro weeklies in total agreement and they also suggest it won't be dry. This winter has been something else lol. I'm loving it. Spring can wait til spring!

This has been quite a winter for many. I also wouldn't mind seeing more winter storm chances. Remember when I sent you a PM back in September asking if the intensity of winter storms picks up after back to back dud winters? Apparently that has worked out well so far this year. Lol.

1303Z SAT FEB 15 2014

12Z MODEL PRODUCTION CYCLE WILL DEFINITELY BE DELAYED.. DUE TO
THE MAJOR CIRCUIT AND INTERNET SERVICE ISSUE AT THE TOC/GATEWAY..

WE ARE DELAYING THE START OF THE 12Z CYCLE RUNS.. INCLUDING THE
NAM AND RAP UPDATES.. DUE TO THE ON-GOING ISSUES AT THE
GATEWAY/TOC. THEIR VENDOR/CONTRACTOR SAYS THEIR WORK COULD TAKE
UP TO 2-3 HRS.. BUT THEY ARE ON-SITE AND WORKING ON THE ISSUE.

WE WILL UPDATE YOU AS SOON AS WE KNOW HOW LONG THE DELAY OF THE
12Z MODELS WILL BE... MOST OF THE DATA NEEDED TO RUN THE MODELS
IS NOT REACHING THE NEW WCOSS SUPER COMPUTER TO RUN THE MODELS
AND WE ARE ALSO UNABLE TO SEND PRODUCTS OUT AS WELL TO
AWIPS...VIA THE TOC/GATEWAY.

MORE INFORMATION ONCE THIS BECOMES AVAILABLE..

NEWBY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

This alert was generated by the National Weather Service
EMWIN (Emergency Managers Weather Information Network)
from messages received by DaculaWeather.com EMWIN server.
NOUS42 KWNO 151437
ADMNFD

1433Z SAT FEB 15 2014

12Z MODEL PRODUCTION CYCLE DELAYED.. DUE TO THE MAJOR CIRCUIT AND
INTERNET SERVICE ISSUE AT THE TOC/GATEWAY.. FURTHER DELAY OF 2HRS

WE ARE STILL DELAYING THE START OF THE 12Z CYCLE RUNS.. . DUE TO
THE ON-GOING ISSUES AT THE GATEWAY/TOC. THEIR VENDOR/CONTRACTOR
SAYS

THEIR WORK COULD TAKE UP TO 2-3 HRS ADDITIONALLY... CURRENT
VENDOR ESTIMATES SHOW WORK MAY NOT BE COMPLETED FOR 2 MORE HRS..
SO AFTER 16Z..

NEWBY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

This alert was generated by the National Weather Service

EMWIN (Emergency Managers Weather Information Network)

from messages received by DaculaWeather.com EMWIN server.

NOUS42 KWNO 151437

ADMNFD

1433Z SAT FEB 15 2014

12Z MODEL PRODUCTION CYCLE DELAYED.. DUE TO THE MAJOR CIRCUIT AND

INTERNET SERVICE ISSUE AT THE TOC/GATEWAY.. FURTHER DELAY OF 2HRS

WE ARE STILL DELAYING THE START OF THE 12Z CYCLE RUNS.. . DUE TO

THE ON-GOING ISSUES AT THE GATEWAY/TOC. THEIR VENDOR/CONTRACTOR

SAYS

THEIR WORK COULD TAKE UP TO 2-3 HRS ADDITIONALLY... CURRENT

VENDOR ESTIMATES SHOW WORK MAY NOT BE COMPLETED FOR 2 MORE HRS..

SO AFTER 16Z..

NEWBY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

Cool! If we can go a day or two without model runs, when they start back up , the fantasy storms will be closer. Whatever GFS 00z I looked at last night looked cold after next weekend

NOUS42 KWNO 151537
ADMNFD

1526Z SAT FEB 15 2014

VERY GOOD NEWS TO REPORT.. THE 12Z NAM AND 12Z GFS WILL BEGIN
SHORTLY AFTER THE DELAY DUE TO THE TOC/GATEWAY CIRCUIT ISSUES
THIS MORNING.

WE ARE SEEING DELAYED DATA INPUT INTO THE NEW SUPER COMPUTER
WCOSS SYSTEM... WE WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON THE PROGRESS ON
THE NAM AND GFS MODELS SHORTLY. WE WILL ALSO TRY TO RE-RUN THE
RAP HOURLY RUNS. MORE TO COME..

NEWBY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

NOUS42 KWNO 151537

ADMNFD

1526Z SAT FEB 15 2014

VERY GOOD NEWS TO REPORT.. THE 12Z NAM AND 12Z GFS WILL BEGIN

SHORTLY AFTER THE DELAY DUE TO THE TOC/GATEWAY CIRCUIT ISSUES

THIS MORNING.

WE ARE SEEING DELAYED DATA INPUT INTO THE NEW SUPER COMPUTER

WCOSS SYSTEM... WE WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON THE PROGRESS ON

THE NAM AND GFS MODELS SHORTLY. WE WILL ALSO TRY TO RE-RUN THE

RAP HOURLY RUNS. MORE TO COME..

NEWBY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

A great day.  Thanks to the new super computers, the models will be able to spit out crapola at a much faster rate.

I think that cut off Ull is the thing to watch.  Sometime after the 23 Goofy wants to build something.  It was looking good around the 27, or so, until it wasn't, lol. Had a low crossing Fla. with some highs pressing down.  The time frame after the 20th is good for climo, so we'll see what Goofy has to say when it's 4 days out instead of 12 or more.  T

Is there looking to be a wintry threat around the 24 or 25th? I think it looks interesting, but may be looking at something wrong.

You noticing this too? The whole Feb 22-25th period has looked real interesting for several runs the past 3 days, at least to my amateur eyes. It looks like the upper atmosphere is very cold in this time frame but the temps down here aren't cooperating when all of that moisture comes through. The 27th is curious also. Hell, I just figured out how to get most of these models over the past couple of days so I certainly do not have the knowledge to truly analyze them other than what they imply at face value.

The 00z Euro control run is pretty interesting for our next influx of cold after this brief warm up....it sends the PV way south and gives NC and others in the SE -20C+ anomaly 850s, due to an extreme ridge building in eastern Canada trapping PV south. You can see this starting to happen at 240hrs on the Euro, extreme riding in eastern Canada.This is also seen on the GFS op and GFS ensemble means/controls.

Very good sign for a cold and possibly stormy end to Feb, although I don't think it starts before the 27th-28th, as track likely inland during that time frame I'd imagine and temps will be too warm.

The 00z Euro control run is pretty interesting for our next influx of cold after this brief warm up....it sends the PV way south and gives NC and others in the SE -20C+ anomaly 850s, due to an extreme ridge building in eastern Canada trapping PV south. You can see this starting to happen at 240hrs on the Euro, extreme riding in eastern Canada.This is also seen on the GFS op and GFS ensemble means/controls.

Very good sign for a cold and possibly stormy end to Feb, although I don't think it starts before the 27th-28th, as track likely inland during that time frame I'd imagine and temps will be too warm.

It looks as cold as we had in January, just crazy, GEFS/EuroENS have it on our door step day 9, so this warm up may be short lived considering we have a few days to go until we hit 60.  

Edit:  The Euro by day 15 does look to end winter again :-), hopefully this time for good.  The troughing in the east slides east from day 10-15 and by day 15 we are back to east coast ridge.  Which I guess would argue for a big storm of some sorts for someone around Feb 27-March 2nd.  

gfs-ens_T2ma_namer_19.png

gfs-ens_T2ma_namer_21.png

It looks as cold as we had in January, just crazy, GEFS/EuroENS have it on our door step day 9, so this warm up may be short lived considering we have a few days to go until we hit 60.  

Edit:  The Euro by day 15 does look to end winter again :-), hopefully this time for good.  The troughing in the east slides east from day 10-15 and by day 15 we are back to east coast ridge.

That's some intense cold for late February. Maybe we'll have one more shot at a solid storm before winter ends.

Archived