• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 4th-5th Storm Observations

WeatherFox

Not really. The cold air was marginal and there wasn't a lot of room to wetbulb down when snow began. We had no CAD high either to hold in cold air. The snow came in heavy right away but again, the airmass here was very marginal. The RGEM was actually better than I thought it would be, just N of NYC there were reports of 8" of snow/sleet, but it was maybe 20 miles too aggressively south with snow. The NAM and GFS didn't have much snow for us at the end either, and the HRRR backed off its too cold runs later on. It's good to follow climo in SWFE storms like these, which is usually 1-3" of slop then rain for the shore. These storms are almost never for us unless the cold/dry air is a lot deeper than today.

I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to this. I was talking climo in regards to the cf all day yesterday. You and I are the furthest south on li that are regular posters. Never ever forget climo. It wins the games over models 99 percent of the time

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Less than 10 miles to your north, we had 3 inches of snow/sleet with a little freezing rain on top of that.

Here I'd say we had about 2" with some freezing rain that has mostly fallen off the trees/melted at this point. At least none of us are torching to 40+ and watching the snowpack get destroyed. The snowpack is going to harden into cement tonight.

Here I'd say we had about 2" with some freezing rain that has mostly fallen off the trees/melted at this point. At least none of us are torching to 40+ and watching the snowpack get destroyed. The snowpack is going to harden into cement tonight.

Yup, temps will drop back to freezing this evening for the whole area.

Other news - 

- Firefighters responded to structure collapse in Selden (car port collapsed onto some cars )

- 6,500 without power on LI according to PSEG

- LIRR expect 20 min delays on all rides

- Up to 2hr delays in service between Mineola and Jamaica

- Only 9 minor accidents considering the icy nature of the storm

About 3 inches of compacted snow here. There's a bit of ice on the trees, but nothing serious. I think the 2/2/11 ice storm was worse (of which I made a needlessly stylized video.) I just shoveled out a quarter of the back driveway and it's just terribly heavy. I'll take 12 inches of powder over this slop any day.

It is ugly, nasty, and anything else negative you can say. Roads are not too bad and now the rain is starting to eat into the snowpack a bit. Shoveling and snowblowing were brutal but ya gotta do it because it will all freeze.

Not really. The cold air was marginal and there wasn't a lot of room to wetbulb down when snow began. We had no CAD high either to hold in cold air. The snow came in heavy right away but again, the airmass here was very marginal. The RGEM was actually better than I thought it would be, just N of NYC there were reports of 8" of snow/sleet, but it was maybe 20 miles too aggressively south with snow. The NAM and GFS didn't have much snow for us at the end either, and the HRRR backed off its too cold runs later on. It's good to follow climo in SWFE storms like these, which is usually 1-3" of slop then rain for the shore. These storms are almost never for us unless the cold/dry air is a lot deeper than today.

This describes every storm in the early 90's. 1-3 then sleet then slop.

Hey everyone from Holbrook Long Island temp sitting at 34 with light rain. Trees encased in ice and more has been forming as it rains. Roads are wet but rain is freezing on non paved surfaces looks pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone

I have been watching this too. Since the trees/bushes are colder the rain that is falling is freezing on them. Currently 34 with light rain, but trees are continuing to build.

It is ugly, nasty, and anything else negative you can say. Roads are not too bad and now the rain is starting to eat into the snowpack a bit. Shoveling and snowblowing were brutal but ya gotta do it because it will all freeze.

The QPF from Mondays storm was around 1", so the snowpack will absorb the rain with 33F temps, this isnt gonna last long either, its gonna look alot like 1993-94 with all the ice around 

The QPF from Mondays storm was around 1", so the snowpack will absorb the rain with 33F temps, this isnt gonna last long either, its gonna look alot like 1993-94 with all the ice around 

Wow that means this snowpack contains 2-2.5" worth of liquid. And we won't go above freezing again until Saturday at the earliest. Trees are definitely still getting more glazed than they were a few hours ago

I should probably get more salt, but after the stores ran out in 94 I stocked up when they got more in; that 25 lbs lasted me until and thru 96.

Wow that means this snowpack contains 2-2.5" worth of liquid. And we won't go above freezing again until Saturday at the earliest. Trees are definitely still getting more glazed than they were a few hours ago

Light rain and drizzle freezes a lot more effectively than what was falling before.

I have been watching this too. Since the trees/bushes are colder the rain that is falling is freezing on them. Currently 34 with light rain, but trees are continuing to build.

I have a blue spruce in the back ( these trees are quick growers ) that was sagging after the March 2010 rain Noreaster and right now it is one hurtin cowboy.

Everyone should go back and read pages 9-11 it was some of the most intese winter weather I have seen. Constant lighting and snow the size of ping pong balls or even bigger.

Here are some highlights:

This is the hardest it has a snowed in a long time. Wow. Ripping. Just couldn't sleep through this one!!!

the snow is so hard it is making noise I thought it was sleet

heavy snow and sleet...I don't recall anything like this.

The snowfall rates are unreal out here. Those flakes are gigantic. 

The flakes here are massive! Like half dollar sized, some of the biggest I have ever seen

Holy....&;&(@(@....we must be about to changeover. It is SNOWING in dark orange/sometimes red echoes here.....heaviest of my life from what I can recall.....MUST BE nearing 4" per hour....just RIDICULOUS...WOW

Words get really describe how heavy and blinding this snow is!!! Insane out there!!!

Wow I have never seen flakes like this...they are casting shadows from the street lights

everyone in the nyc metro, this is convective. clap of thunder just a minute ago

Just heard thunder in BK

Lightening and thunder here in Staten Island! holy crap!

Lightning in Queens!!

Lightning and caught it on video!!

Holy crap at what's happening outside right now

I cant believe the sight of that radar image...

About to get SMACKED with a 55dbz echo. Thunder here as well!

post-4195-0-91146000-1391623557_thumb.jp

Everyone should go back and read pages 9-11 it was some of the most intese winter weather I have seen. Constant lighting and snow the size of ping pong balls or even bigger.

Here are some highlights:

And I slept through it all because my company wasn't officially announced to be closed today until 5am. I knew they'd close, should have just stayed up for it, damn it.

Does anyone have pics or better yet video from around that time of the night? Don't care from what region it comes from give me something lol.

Archived