• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 4th-6th Storm Threat Discussion

Sn0waddict

But temps are pretty borderline to begin with near the coast..its not like we're low to mid 20s when precip breaks out

There's nothing that really supports warming once precip starts. Warming aloft maybe, but surface winds are not supportive of warming the temps up like some models have.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But temps are pretty borderline to begin with near the coast..its not like we're low to mid 20s when precip breaks out

Often the mid level warmth is underdone on models for these kind of events, but the surface cold is underdone. The mid-December storm was several degrees colder than the models had us for during the cold part of the event on NE wind. The temp spiked up like crazy when the wind shifted, but that won't happen this time with the coastal development.

The more I think about it, the more this almost seems like the DEC 14th storm we had. A solid 4-6 of snow, freezing rain then some drizzle at the end. We never made it above 30 during that storm, despite the GFS getting us into the upper 40's.

But there will def be more snow on the front end than that storm for areas NW

True, especially farther north towards CNE. But for the metro area, I don't think it's that far off. Just my opinion though.

12/14 did not have as good isentropic lift or dynamics on the leading edge of the WAA snows...Storm at Sea and Forky both pointed out for a couple days how the sim radar didnt appear impressive and indeed we struggled with rates into the afternoon...this time though the sim radar has looked great on the NAM...I am getting increasingly concerned about an early start time, again seeing the NAM be neck and neck with the GFS on start time and the RGEM advance it up 2 hours from the 12Z run raises caution...the top 5 CIPS analogs at 36 hours on the new NAM are 1/3/96, 2/11/94, 1/28/09, 02/19/00, and 02/23/08...impact guidance suggests the RGEM's snow cutoff matches well to the analogs but to me 2/11/94 is not a good match for this so it may be skewing things alot.

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/impactguide.php?reg=EC&fhr=F036&model=NAM212

Yikes, the 00z NAM text outputs for a few select locals.

MMU - 2.3" of snow - 0.48" of sleet and 0.52" ZR

HPN - 2.2" of snow - 0.16" of sleet and 0.43" ZR

SWF - 6.3" of snow, then around a tenth of an inch of ZR and IP

EWR - 1.2" of snow and then an alarming 0.90" of ZR

LGA - 0.7" of snow and then 0.72" of ZR.

This is why monitoring dews and temps today will be crucial as far as ZR is concerned. I have no doubt we'll probably see a fast thumping of a few inches (pending any major shifts), but after is when it gets tricky. If dews are in the low 20s or colder, then that's a problem because the low is still going to be south of us, thus no ESE/SE winds responsible for rapid warming. 

You are joking right? . . If this is true. Im really out of words this winter.

Yes, I'm using the weatherbell snowmap. It truly does give the NYC area/NENJ area 8-10" of snow with most areas between 8-9". I know the maps are sometimes exaggerated, but this past storm it showed 7-10" for us....and it delivered that exactly. So I assume there could be more issues this time with precip type/mixing, but we'll see. After all, it is the model that has been on to these storms above all others

At hr 36 knyc is 0c at 850. And it 30 degrees at the surface. LI is +1 to -1. Surface temps 32 to 33 degrees. Cnj is +5 at 850mb. 31 at the surface. NNJ +1-2 at 850 ..mid to upper 20s at the surface. NWNJ -1 to -2 at 850 and mid 20s at the surface. HV is and NWNJ all snow. Snow/Ice from nyc and nw. Elsewhere sleet/freezing rain in cnj and LI is borderline sleet/rain.

At hr 36 knyc is 0c at 850. And it 30 degrees at the surface. LI is +1 to -1. Sirface temps 32 to 33 degrees. Cnj is +5 at 850mb. 31 at the surface. NNJ +1-2 at 850 ..mid to upper 20s at the surface. NWNJ -1 to -2 at 850 snd mid 20s at the surface. HV is and NENJ all snow. Snow/Ice from nyc and nw. Else where sleet/freezing rain in cnj and LI is borderline sleet/rain.

The Euro being that low on surface temps is scary considering it has a horrendous bias of being warm almost all the time...remember the 12/14 event it was as much as 10 degrees too warm 24-30 hours out...the MOS output tonight though really shows the GFS/NAM surface temps may be the ones that are out to lunch, FRG/ISP are colder on the MOS at many points during the storm than LGA/JFK are...thats an indicator the models are not seeing any oceanic warming whatsoever and they are basically spitting out the prototypical suburban/urban differences...in that case they are probably both running 5 degrees or so too cold overnight tomorrow and maybe 3 degrees too cold after 12Z in an event where the wind never goes E or ESE

The Euro being that low on surface temps is scary considering it has a horrendous bias of being warm almost all the time...remember the 12/14 event it was as much as 10 degrees too warm 24-30 hours out...the MOS output tonight though really shows the GFS/NAM surface temps may be the ones that are out to lunch, FRG/ISP are colder on the MOS at many points during the storm than LGA/JFK are...thats an indicator the models are not seeing any oceanic warming whatsoever and they are basically spitting out the prototypical suburban/urban differences...in that case they are probably both running 5 degrees or so too cold overnight tomorrow and maybe 3 degrees too cold after 12Z in an event where the wind never goes E or ESE

I assume you mean the GFS/NAM might be running 5 degrees TOO WARM? (You said too cold, so I was a bit confused)

Hr 42 850s really warm. 0c line all the up in northern orange co. All NJ, nyc and LI above 0c. Snow is northern orange on north and ne. Ice for nyc and nnj as they hover around 31-32. Far northern nj 27-31. Rain for cnj and LI. . Cnj 33-35. LI 33-35.

By then its very possible the storm is more or less over, I think after 14-15Z which would be 39 hours we don't see a heck of a lot of precip, especially I-80 on south.

Archived