Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 4th-6th Storm Threat Discussion

Sn0waddict

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Careful - those maps are in MM, not CM.

The rain is MM...the snow is liquid equivalent...but all snow ...I've been using them for quite a while.

The RGEM shows rain towards the end of its run at the end of the storm. There's still a chance it's right though.

For example the first green would indicate 0.3" to 0.4" of rain....7.5mm to 10mm.

0.5 to 0.75" liquid through 39 hours on the SREF and mostly snow. Changeover after that. 

Slightly south and colder compared to 15z. 

Hour 39 on the 21z would be 7 AM Wednesday morning, I believe.

I'm still not too up on alot of snow, at least near the coast...soundings on all models show it maybe 1 to 2C from 0C and the WAA is nasty so its likely the models are underestimating it a bit, there is not a whole lot of room for evaporative cooling either in the mid-levels...it would not surprise me to see this go to sleet very fast...the one way to stop it would be for it to come down crazy right out of the gate and possibly mitigate the warming of that 800-880mb layer.

I'm still not too up on alot of snow, at least near the coast...soundings on all models show it maybe 1 to 2C from 0C and the WAA is nasty so its likely the models are underestimating it a bit, there is not a whole lot of room for evaporative cooling either in the mid-levels...it would not surprise me to see this go to sleet very fast...the one way to stop it would be for it to come down crazy right out of the gate and possibly mitigate the warming of that 800-880mb layer.

Being at the coast or at ABE will probably not mean much...this is more of a question of latitude...

you need an inch of ice to get in trouble...the only time I saw that was in December 1973...January 1994 had a half inch ice storm in Brooklyn...1994 also had two other ice storms that became plain rain and melted the ice accumulations on power lines and trees...

Unc, those 94 ice storms were catastrophic on the roads. True we avoided mass power outages, but the roads were lethal and people died. It even prompted the NJ legislature to pass laws requiring that tow truck drivers render assistance even if the motorist can't pay. In NJ we are a highway; icing causes serious problems. I will say that they prep the roads much better now than in 94, which came after ten years of mild winters.

Archived