joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 4th-6th Storm Threat Discussion

Sn0waddict

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you need an inch of ice to get in trouble...the only time I saw that was in December 1973...January 1994 had a half inch ice storm in Brooklyn...1994 also had two other ice storms that became plain rain and melted the ice accumulations on power lines and trees...

Do you drive on the roads on Long Island? Lol .25" of ice would be crippling if not prepared for. It took me 4 hours to go from Westbury to Kings Park the last storm and that was snow. 1" of ice would be an absolute horror show. Just the power issues in Nassau and Suffolk from downed wires would be horrible.

On a side note I was in Oklahoma City for a training course for the last ice storm. By the time they had .5" of ice the city was completely impassable and wound up being shut down completely for 2 1/2 days.

Do you drive on the roads on Long Island? Lol .25" of ice would be crippling if not prepared for. It took me 4 hours to go from Westbury to Kings Park the last storm and that was snow. 1" of ice would be an absolute horror show. Just the power issues in Nassau and Suffolk from downed wires would be horrible.

On a side note I was in Oklahoma City for a training course for the last ice storm. By the time they had .5" of ice the city was completely impassable and wound up being shut down completely for 2 1/2 days.

There's a big difference though between freezing rain at 22 degrees and at 31-32 degrees

I was driving in that same storm in Oklahoma and Texas it was the worst driving experance I ever had. Trees were dropping limbs as i was driving and in Amerillo I-40 was covered in 2" of solid ice. Cars were skidding all over the place. I drove from Milwaukee to Santa Fe in winter never again.

If the snow comes in like a wall, which seems how it will be now, there could be a quick 4 or 5" everywhere before changing over, like what happened in SWFEs like 2/22/08 and 12/14/03. If it's patchy and scattered, it might struggle to make it to a couple of inches before changing over. The intensity of the snow can keep the warm air at bay for a time, and obviously accumulate faster.

NAM firewx nest shows the 850mb temperatures increasing with WAA and then falling back south 50 miles or more due to dynamic cooling. Something to consider.

The only time I have seen that occur with the 850 line doing that as the transfer occurs was with the 12/5/03 storm during that initial WAA snow wave...the re-analysis on PSU ewall actually shows it too.

If the snow comes in like a wall, which seems how it will be now, there could be a quick 4 or 5" everywhere before changing over, like what happened in SWFEs like 2/22/08 and 12/14/03. If it's patchy and scattered, it might struggle to make it to a couple of inches before changing over. The intensity of the snow can keep the warm air at bay for a time, and obviously accumulate faster.

I'm starting to see indications of that potentially early start time too, seeing the NAM have snow on the doorstep at 06Z worries me because the NAM tends to be the slowest model and it agrees closely on start time with the GFS, that could mean we may need to watch for a start time of 02-03Z...always a risk when you're slamming WAA over a high.

Again though the model does not see the initial evaporative cooling from the snow to start...with a 32/23 spread it could drop quickly down into the upper 20s and then be a b**ch to get that temp up on a NE wind

I don't see many of us making it above freezing really with a NE wind. The storm in December only torched because the winds turned ESE, and it was colder at the surface for longer than models had us even right up to the event. Places like Farmingdale and Islip even could see a good amount of freezing rain.

Archived