Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 4th-6th Storm Threat Discussion

Sn0waddict

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm... Im here in Bergen Cty, right along I-80 ..

Not to sure at ALL about that WSW, I highly think Ice Storm Warnings should have been issued for the first time in quite awhile. With a last minute stronger 850mb WAA signal coming in on recent models, yet surface temps below freezing, this thing is SCREAMING FRZ , NOT IP. We shall see...

Although getting quite concerned at the seemingly low anticipated forecast of only a tenth of an inch of ice here.

12z NAM is even warmer at 850 and plenty cold at the surface. By the onset of precip, the 850mb line is already north of 80 with the surface over 95.

Edit: The surface is actually SE of 95. East of JFK.

This Is getting quite scary to say the least. The warmer 850 trends while surface stays below 0, the higher the signal for FRZ as opposed to IP is. We just received 8 solid inches here yesterday. What happens when u throw perhaps another fresh 2-4" along with upwards of .25"-.75" of Ice? This thing spells HUGE trouble.

Im talking trouble as downed trees, power outages, accidents in every which direction.

One model output showed a very alarming .90" accretion of Ice for the Newark station. Mind you guys, there is 8" of wet snow outside already along all the power lines , and on all the trees.

I think the city and Long Island are okay. They are probably 32-33 when the heavy precip arrives. Just inland is a far different story.

agreed especially for the city itself.. you need to be in upper twenties almost for freezing rain to really have an impact with all the urban heating.. even by me it would be tough to get an ice storm in hoboken.. 15 miles west... an entirely different story

Looking at the 4k NAM, 850mb temps go above freezing at hour 20, which is basically 2AM. By hour 21 they are +4 to +8 C in NYC.

925mb temps are actually considerably colder. -4 to -8C and actually cooling for a period north of I-80.

I wonder if that column is more supportive of sleet than freezing rain?

agreed especially for the city itself.. you need to be in upper twenties almost for freezing rain to really have an impact with all the urban heating.. even by me it would be tough to get an ice storm in hoboken.. 15 miles west... an entirely different story

Im exactly 15 miles NW of you. Pretty eerie picture comes to mind of what the outside may look like in 24 hours from now.

Looking at the 4k NAM, 850mb temps go above freezing at hour 20, which is basically 2AM. By hour 21 they are +4 to +8 C in NYC.

925mb temps are actually considerably colder. -4 to -8C and actually cooling for a period north of I-80.

I wonder if that column is more supportive of sleet than freezing rain?

that's fzra

Archived