joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 3rd event

Brian5671

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was only a fair question by rossi imo. Not sure why you took a defensive stand. Lets see some consensus (we're getting there). I am curious as to your thinking in the bolded. I didn't see any reasoning behind this, unless I missed it. Which if I did, then I apologize

Oh, well pretty much because of what winter warlock said. There really is a double standard when reading it interpreting model output. If someone says that it's trending much further north toward a solution, and I merely state that it is not (because the gfs did actually trend south with the 0.25 and 0.5 lines - a sign to me that is getting closer to a solution after it's previous jump)....it should have just as much validity. Being that 99% of the posts in this regional forum are not by mets, our opinions an discussion should not merely have to be about positive trends of the models. I see it this way....in an area that only averages 15-30" of snow per year....if we DID receive all of the snow always shown by models, we would average about 150-250" per year. All in all...if we get a storm that dumps several inches, it is actually a fairly rare treat, and not something to expect (also not something for the models to always trend towards). I feel this gives more than enough reason to believe that a positive trend on a given model run should be handled with more doubt and need more backup, and also more reason for any doubtful thinking to be given more creed and acceptance than it is...because aside from any qpf output on the models, climatology plays a part, and as we know....we average 15-30".

models have seemed to stop trending north at 12Z - 12Z GEFS the same as 6Z with 0.25 line across southern NYC - so general 2 -4 inches across the area seems reasonable

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2014020112/gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_10.png

10:1 ratios at best in nyc so i think 1-2 is more likely, jumping to 3-6 about 20-40 miles south of the city - only verbatim of course, not saying i fully endorse the gefs 

Your assuming the GFS has the right idea...

Trend of the winter has been stronger then modeled S/Ws. Its also getting into the NAM/RGEM/SREF range.

We also have a lot of time left for late trends.

I was taking into account all the models combined - so 2 -4 seems reasonable to me 

12z RPM, SWFE heaven1622622_614674028588168_687041930_n.jpg

How do we make this verify?  lol, I'm right under that pink 10-12" stripe in Central Jersey.  I'll be happy with 3-5", which seems like a reasonable call for most of Central Jersey/Central Eastern PA at this point (I define Central Jersey/Central Eastern PA as roughly between 195/276 and 78) if one blends most of the model output (which isn't necessarily the way to do it, but that's what the NWS often does, but they do it with reasoning - I'm just doing rough averaging). 

Archived