joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS shows a couple more snowstorms in fantasy range.  I think even if the Day 8-9 threat turns into a rainy cutter there's still plenty of reasons to be bullish with snow the 1st half of Feb.  

As for Day 8-9, I think if it does cut we'd have chances for some front end snow/ice before it's all washed away.  

12z GFS shows a couple more snowstorms in fantasy range.  I think even if the Day 8-9 threat turns into a rainy cutter there's still plenty of reasons to be bullish with snow the 1st half of Feb.  

As for Day 8-9, I think if it does cut we'd have chances for some front end snow/ice before it's all washed away.  

im going with the euro....or whatever models gives me the most snow

I think front end ice is a decent bet. It's still too far out to say what it will do definitively but I'd bet on a cutter or OH valley track than one south of us.  To me the pattern looks more like the dec pattern than the Jan one. 

I think front end ice is a decent bet. It's still too far out to say what it will do definitively but I'd bet on a cutter or OH valley track than one south of us.  To me the pattern looks more like the dec pattern than the Jan one. 

There are no euro ens analogs that give us a big storm..The GFS solution from last night seemed goofy with so much ridging in the east

There are no euro ens analogs that give us a big storm..The GFS solution from last night seemed goofy with so much ridging in the east

All the gefs members showing a wrapped up storm rained on us. Makes total sense given the heights here. 

I'm not sure how the euro is putting out such unanimous snow solutions with its members. I suppose it's possible but likely is another story. We can get some front end stuff. That's fine. We can also do ok with a much weaker solution. 

As for the monday-tues thing, that popped up out of nowhere so either the euro is seeing something real that all other guidance is missing or it was just a blip. 

Well, GEFS doesn't support the op as a whole. There are some cutters in the mix but most do a good job with some front end stuff. There's actually more decent solutions than the 6z gefs

This run of 4 members is what I'm hugging until the euro comes out. If the euro bails the I can revert back to these.

post-2035-0-27055200-1390930583_thumb.jp

I shouldn't have weighed in since I had been writing an article this morning and hadn't looked closely at the euro ens mean.  I see what you mean.   The surface on it looks pretty good. 

GEFS are almost uniform on having a storm around Day 8.  I'd say most are colder than the Op.  Should be an entertaining next week.  

I only saw 3 pretty crappy ones too. Really wound with limited front end stuff. The rest looked pretty good for some winter. Front side of west track stuff is fun. Hanging on for deal life until the first ping. 

And when the Euro crushes us in about 45 minutes, people will forget this one GFS run.   Don't be a pendulum people.  

Absolutely.  Sometimes it can be maddening to read some of the comments in here with each cycle changing back and forth.  Yesterday was particularly awful.  I know there was a lot of trolling for fun in there too, but lost amongst all the "cancel!!" posts was the fact that the GFS was looking not too bad overall, and it still isn't.  Even if the Euro comes in looking similar to the 12Z GFS for the event next week, we can't just throw up our hands and assume winter is over.

Which is why it's better to look more at the overall pattern and the ensembles at this range, and what might be supported.  There's a lot on the table to consider and it's looking like a complex set-up.  Heck, you can almost consider the op run to be a type of "high resolution ensemble member" itself in the medium range; it's one solution.  That's not exactly true from a modeling standpoint, I know, but you get the idea.

I only saw 3 pretty crappy ones too. Really wound with limited front end stuff. The rest looked pretty good for some winter. Front side of west track stuff is fun. Hanging on for deal life until the first ping. 

Yup, and those are certainly viable solutions...the op GFS obviously was similar.  The solutions that are better for snow (or combination of snow/ice) are likewise just as possible.  I don't know at this point what is more likely, but it is nice that there are only 3 wound-up cutter-like solutions showing up in the ensembles.  Hopefully, an indication that that solution is an overdone outlier.

Archived