CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 4-5th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea of a partial/sloppy vort ejection leading to the main vort hanging way back and digging into oblivion isn't something we haven't seen before and appears to be gaining favor. We're still well into no-mans-land model range (see how much they are struggling with this weekends event) but the trends aren't good for anyone in the subforum looking for a major.

I totally disagree.  This is very favorable for the I70 crowd to get crushed at the very least.

Surface low looked farther north to me than 12z.  Not huge but noticeable.

a lot of factors to come together for this to come farther NW. for once that arctic high needs to not sink so far south. need to watch how amplified the SE ridge becomes with possible -pna pattern in place. also eariler phasing with northern stream energy. models are goin to continue to struggle with these details for several days until the system begins to get sampled somewhat. my overall gut is telling me this will play the southern solution like Euro has but as a forecaster you have to look at trends and all possibilities. i mean just look at this weekend storm and how it is still flip flopping around. winter storms are WAY more complex creatures than spring time severe weather systems. 

I like my position here in Elkhart county with the upcoming systems, both this weekend and next week.  -PNA will certainly mean more zonal/sw flow if it continues and enhances chances for a big dog for a number of us in our forum.  Getting difficult to figure out where to place snow removed from parking lots around here now.  The mounds are already huge.

For the life of me I will never understand why any meteorologist would post snowfall maps on a facebook page when a system is more than 48hrs out.  To many factors can change, heck many factors can change with 12-18 hours.  Its just not a wise thing to do because viewers will think that's the forecast the meteorologist is given....then when it doesn't happen they get grief on their FB page... Gee I wonder why.  I just don't get it.  I know there is this rush to be first nowadays but the atmosphere has to many variables.

As for the upcoming system next week....I'm still in the camp of generally favoring the Central or Southern Midwest for something decent happening eventually whether its next Tuesday or as late as the end of next week. 

Yeah there is a particular TV met in the QC that has really gone off the deep end in that regard this winter.  Even posting it with a disclaimer is pretty unprofessional IMO. 

From LOT

AS MENTIONED ABOVE...THE TRANSITION INTO A MORE -PNA PATTERN...COULD
FAVOR A STRONG STORM SYSTEM OR TWO ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN
PORTION OF THE COUNTRY. MODEL GUIDANCE SUGGESTS THAT SUCH A SYSTEM
COULD DEVELOP ACROSS TEXAS BY TUESDAY...THEN SHIFT NORTHEASTWARD
SOMEWHERE ACROSS THE OHIO VALLEY. NOT TOO SURPRISING THAT THE MODELS
ARE JUMPING BACK AND FORTH WITH THIS SYSTEM. THIS WILL LIKELY
CONTINUE TO BE THE CASE FOR A LEAST THE NEXT FEW DAYS GIVEN THE
COMPLEXITIES WITH THIS EVOLVING WEATHER PATTERN. GIVEN THE
UNCERTAINTIES...I HAVE CHOSEN TO STICK WITH THE GOING FORECAST FOR
SNOW CHANCES. NORTHERN ILLINOIS WILL NOT NECESSARY BE IMPACTED BY
THIS SYSTEM...BUT THE POTENTIAL IS HIGH ENOUGH...THAT I FELT
LOWERING POPS AT THIS TIME WAS UNJUSTIFIED. THERE ARE SEVERAL
VARIABLES THAT COULD SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT THE ACTUAL TRACK OF THIS
SYSTEM...SUCH AS: 1.) HOW AND IF THE NORTHERN STREAM FLOW PATTERN
ACROSS THE SOUTHWESTERN CANADA INTERACTS WITH THIS SYSTEM EARLY
NEXT WEEK...AND 2.) HOW PRONOUNCED THE EVOLVING RIDGING ACROSS THE
SOUTHEASTERN CONUS BECOMES.

And why is that?

The energy digs into Mexico, I don't like the chances of this flinging our way. It would need to be a pretty steep hook. Just in terms of how this winter has been going with these hookers, it's quite a bit further south than systems which have paid off for us. It's still way early to tell, but I definitely have my concerns for my chances of cashing in.

I think Chicago is still in it, though. At least for something. Well, really, this far out, we're all "still in it"

lol I had that same thought earlier.  Couldn't stomach another one like that especially so soon.

I've been playing worse case scenarios, just for fun. I think I'd rather have a whiff/graze to the south than go through another sleet bomb. No offense to the posters up north of course. 

I wasn't around here for GHD, but how did the early January storm compare for you folks who got hit hard by both GHD and January 4-5,2014 in terms of enjoyment?

GHD was a massive amount of sleet here. Jan 5, 2014 was all snow, and plenty of it. No contest for LAF.

Archived