joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 4-5th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December 04 had to be one of NCEP's greatest finds ever. The ECMWF and GGEM were far to weak, the GFS had it and never lost it. Never happened since.

I distinctly remember the GFS tracking the slp to Lansing on D4. Corrected a good couple hundred miles to the SE, back in the day when corrections to the SE didn't happen very often.

I distinctly remember the GFS tracking the slp to Lansing on D4. Corrected a good couple hundred miles to the SE, back in the day when corrections to the SE didn't happen very often.

'04 was a 'surprise' up to the last minute for us here in central OH.   The one thing I like about the euro's depiction of next week, is you can really see it building in the highs ahead of the system from the north.  Just like Dec'04 we had fresh arctic air bullying in from the nw.

Even if the track sucks, we could end up with a lot wintry precp in a lot of places.    

It appears to me Dee's solution is riding on more of a west to east type setup rather than a standard SW dig riding NW like what we are normally use to seeing. I'm not saying this will be the case, but these are the types of setups that can lead to multiple rounds of thundersnows from the southern storms overriding the cold air in place. Just something to watch.... :whistle:

rumor has it the euro ens is well south of the OP...more of an overrunning event.   Ensembles aren't out that far on the site I use.   The ggem ens matches the OP pretty well though.

Well that is some good news. I know that's what the pattern looked like last week for next week, west to east flow with some over running which would be good for us here.

Wasn't the GGEM a little further southeast of the Euro anyway? I know it was warmer, but the track looked good.

euro OP must be a loner after seeing the rest of the ens run.   Cold air and HP win the battle and mean track is from western gulf off Delmarva.   Solution would probably be a solid hit for the Ohio river valley, southern IN, southern OH.  lol 

the euro will probably go like this:  flat tonight, bomb tomorrow at 12z.      

Well that is some good news. I know that's what the pattern looked like last week for next week, west to east flow with some over running which would be good for us here.

Wasn't the GGEM a little further southeast of the Euro anyway? I know it was warmer, but the track looked good.

the ggem was a bit further southeast with the track than the euro, but still would be a mess here...as expected.

euro OP must be a loner after seeing the rest of the ens run.   Cold air and HP win the battle and mean track is from western gulf off Delmarva.   Solution would probably be a solid hit for the Ohio river valley, southern IN, southern OH.  lol 

the euro will probably go like this:  flat tonight, bomb tomorrow at 12z.      

Perfect. I'll take it! would rather wish for a slight jog/adjustment northwest than that dreaded SE wish!

Archived