Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA and the MD Fringes - January Part III

MAG5035

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MDT went sorta MIA with a missing ob at 11am... now Capital City Airport jumped to a suspicous 46 degrees with MDT back and at 24... what is going on? lol

most sites in the LSV are currently about 10 degrees colder than their projected 1:00 temps from the 12z GFS and NAM runs this morning! 

MDT went sorta MIA with a missing ob at 11am... now Capital City Airport jumped to a suspicous 46 degrees with MDT back and at 24... what is going on? lol

most sites in the LSV are currently about 10 degrees colder than their projected 1:00 temps from the 12z GFS and NAM runs this morning! 

It's 35 here in Greencastle. 

Considering the GFS can't even seem to get a handle on Monday's wave, really wouldn't put too much stock in it.  Regardless, agree with Jamie that CAD signal seems very strong for this far out, and almost always trends more robust in the last couple days before an event.

Pretty confident this will be a WSW event for Central and Northern PA, question is how much snow before we start pinging, and will the ice be more sleet or freezing rain?

Considering the GFS can't even seem to get a handle on Monday's wave, really wouldn't put too much stock in it.  Regardless, agree with Jamie that CAD signal seems very strong for this far out, and almost always trends more robust in the last couple days before an event.

Pretty confident this will be a WSW event for Central and Northern PA, question is how much snow before we start pinging, and will the ice be more sleet or freezing rain?

We might not have a handle on it until 12 hours out, lol. 

I am sort of getting nervous about all this ice, especially if we get a second ice storm next weekend. It looks extremely cold right after until a warmup mid month. 

Jamie

Wmsptwx and myself are going to get a snow complex. We know we can't get snow to save our A_ _. :-)

All season long it seems the models have showed something 7- 10 days out. Then around 5 days out,change the storm.....to eventually going back to what it was showing originally.

Hope that holds true

Edit: what was the Japanese weather model we would use when things was looking pretty Grimm and grasping at straws?

Jamie

Wmsptwx and myself are going to get a snow complex. We know we can't get snow to save our A_ _. :-)

All season long it seems the models have showed something 7- 10 days out. Then around 5 days out,change the storm.....to eventually going back to what it was showing originally.

Hope that holds true

Edit: what was the Japanese weather model we would use when things was looking pretty Grimm and grasping at straws?

KMA for the win?

Just looked at the 12z GFS. It actually looks like the potential is there for a period of intense snowfall sometime Tuesday night, especially for C/N PA. The sounding around 06z Wednesday has the entire profile below freezing, except a small layer near 750 mb where it is around freezing.

At this time, the GFS has a pretty good signal for a well defined frontogenetic circulation. C/N PA is in the ideal right entrance region of a strong 250 mb jet and this is collocated with significant 850 mb frontogenesis, sloping towards the north into an area of enhanced 700 mb frontogenesis. This suggests strong vertical motion through a deep layer, sloping towards the north with height. With this amount of lift, I think it may be possible to stay mainly snow, perhaps with some sleet mixed in up to 06z or so.

Of course this scenario is far from certain. If the storm becomes much more amplified, we will have precip type issues much sooner and the best lift may be during freezing rain, sleet or plain rain.

agreed. do you have any QPF amounts from the EURO yet.

See post #884 (5 posts back).  Looks like a 3-5" storm in the LSV.  I hope this is the start of better trends...as the weenies are on full alert and standing right on the edge waiting to jump....

Mind you I want snow, but I've done this long enough to not jump at every model run...

Nut

See post #884 (5 posts back).  Looks like a 3-5" storm in the LSV.  I hope this is the start of better trends...as the weenies are on full alert and standing right on the edge waiting to jump....

Mind you I want snow, but I've done this long enough to not jump at every model run...

Nut

granted this is before the 12z Euro... published at noon today... but makes me believe they would think 12z Euro solution for Monday is better than 0z run

...SHORTWAVE CROSSING THE SOUTHERN HIGH PLAINS EARLY SUNDAY AND

REACHING THE MID-ATLANTIC BY MONDAY...

...DEVELOPING SURFACE LOW MOVING THROUGH FROM THE TN VALLEY TOWARD

THE LOWER MID-ATLANTIC...

PRELIMINARY PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 00Z UKMET/ECMWF ENSEMBLE

MEAN...2/3 TOWARD THE UKMET

FORECAST CONFIDENCE: BELOW AVERAGE

AN AREA OF HEIGHT FALLS TRACKING FROM SOUTHERN CA TOWARD THE

SOUTHERN TIP OF NM THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING IS EXPECTED TO LIFT

NORTHEASTWARD AS THE MID-LEVEL FLOW TURNS MORE SOUTHWESTERLY

ACROSS THE EASTERN HALF OF THE COUNTRY. THE 12Z NAM/00Z CMC ARE

SLOWER THAN THE OTHER MODELS WHICH INCLUDES THE ENSEMBLE MEANS. ON

THE FLIP SIDE OF THE GUIDANCE IS THE 00Z UKMET WHICH APPEARS TOO

QUICK EJECTING THE TROF ENERGY INTO THE SOUTHERN PLAINS ON SUNDAY

MORNING. A HOST OF DIFFERENCES EMERGES FURTHER DOWNSTREAM WITH THE

00Z ECMWF JOINING THE 00Z UKMET IN TERMS OF SPEED WHILE ALSO BEING

MORE AMPLIFIED WHICH LEADS TO A MORE DEFINED SURFACE WAVE.

OVERALL...WOULD PREFER TO STAY A LITTLE MORE CONSERVATIVE WITH

THIS SYSTEM WHICH DISCOUNTS THE AMPLIFIED 00Z ECMWF BUT ALSO DO

NOT WANT TO BE AS SUPPRESSED/FLAT AS THE 12Z NAM/GFS. THE 00Z

UKMET/ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN PROVIDE A NICE MIDDLE GROUND HERE SO THE

TWO WILL BE PART OF THE PREFERENCE. WILL WEIGHT A LITTLE BIT MORE

TOWARD THE 00Z UKMET GIVEN THE 00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN HAS SOME

INFLUENCES FROM ITS DETERMINISTIC RUN.

Jamie

Hope that holds true

At least you guys were the bullseye once this year. 

And honestly, I don't recall all that many storms this year at all on models...really, inventing things to make stuff seem worse doesn't help matters. Before you say anything, keep in mind that earlier this week it was claimed that every year for the last 3-4 years all storms were south of us, and I completely destroyed that fallacy. 

I see a lot of this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_distortion Although not as bad as in other forums. In fact, this line of thinking promotes bad information. People posted earlier that today's 12Z GFS was "warmer" and rainier...when I looked at the actual runs, I saw that the opposite was true. Just like all those phantom southern snowstorms people were seeing each of the last four years. 

All I'm saying is keeping emotions in check is the way to go, especially in this situation. Seriously. 

Euro has less qpf...

UNV

WED 06Z 05-FEB -4.3 -4.9 1016 89 100 0.18 557 545
WED 12Z 05-FEB -2.9 3.1 1005 95 17 0.42 549 544
WED 18Z 05-FEB 0.5 -7.8 1008 73 39 0.02 542 536

MDT

WED 06Z 05-FEB -2.5 -0.6 1017 91 100 0.17 561 548
WED 12Z 05-FEB 0.0 5.5 1006 97 97 0.49 555 550

WED 18Z 05-FEB 5.9 -3.8 1005 67 29 0.00 549 545

IPT

WED 06Z 05-FEB -4.3 -7.6 1018 85 100 0.14 556 542
WED 12Z 05-FEB -3.4 1.4 1006 95 67 0.54 549 544

WED 18Z 05-FEB 0.8 -5.8 1005 80 35 0.03 541 537

Less qpf and I really don't see any plain rain there. So, yet another solution?  

Archived