CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
1/21/14 Snowstorm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I measured again at 5 pm, before shoveling, and we had 6" at that time (range was 5-7" in most spots, with some 1' drifts and some bare spots), meaning we've gotten 1" per hour for the last 4 hours or so.  3-4 more hours of 1"/hr snow gets me to 9" and then add on another 1-2" from the last several hours of light to moderate snow and we're at 10-11".  Probably, not getting to 12" or beyond without a major snowband, although that band sinking SE looks like it means business - snow picking up here.  Still would be quite a storm. 

Snow is like the kind of powder you get out west - must be 15:1, maybe 20:1 ratio right now, with nice sized, well formed dendrites, with low water content, given the very cold temps aloft and throughout the column down to the ground.  Two storms in 3 weeks with temps in the 20s to teens and no worries about the usual mixing with rain - very unusual in these parts.  Will be walking to the local pub around 8 pm or so...

Dude. You've pretty much cemented legendary status and your post a couple weeks back AND this morning, when people started freaking out, will be remembered. 

voting John as 2013-14 MVP! he has been astonishing. of course I do not want to take away from PB GFI, Bluewave, Isotherm either as they are very good at what they do as well

Dude. You've pretty much cemented legendary status and your post a couple weeks back AND this morning, when people started freaking out, will be remembered. 

I don't know about legendary but I appreciate it man. Hope you are enjoying the snow!

Yes without a doubt you're the voice of reason. Thanks for all of your input, it's a pleasure to read

Archived