January 13-21st Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

Looks like a parking lot.

gen_1390330869_234_175_76_10-proc.jpg

1250 PM HEAVY SNOW 3 SE EAST CHICAGO 41.62N 87.41W
01/21/2014 E18.0 INCH LAKE IN PUBLIC

17 TO 18 INCHES STORM TOTAL SO FAR AT GARY
AIRPORT...KGYY. REPORTED BY THE DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF THE
AIRPORT. ALL OF THE SNOW HAS FALLEN SINCE 730 TO 8AM.
ESTIMATED VISIBILITY AT TIME OF REPORT 750 FEET.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty lame that this band is not making more than 1-2 miles over land. With this long of a fetch why don't bands go farther inland? Are winds really that light? Bands off Erie are always at least 20-25 miles inland sometimes bands reach rochester which is 50-60 miles away.

Dry air and little in the way of convergence away from the near-shore area.

Only 4-5" at my mom's house.  For reference she is less than a mile east of the IL/IN line.  It's an obscene gradient between there and Griffith.  It goes from 4-5" to a foot like 2 miles east of her and then 2 foot amounts another couple miles east.  So it goes from 4" to 24" in ~4 miles. 

Based on the loop it looks like the band swung through there fairly quickly and she was on the fringe at best after that.

Only 4-5" at my mom's house.  For reference she is less than a mile east of the IL/IN line.  It's an obscene gradient between there and Griffith.  It goes from 4-5" to a foot like 2 miles east of her and then 2 foot amounts another couple miles east.  So it goes from 4" to 24" in ~4 miles. 

Based on the loop it looks like the band swung through there fairly quickly and she was on the fringe at best after that.

Wow. Crazy. Would love to drive down there and see that.

I concur. Although I'm probably a solid 4 miles or so west of the state line.

Archived