January 13-21st Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL

352 AM CST TUE JAN 21 2014

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0350 AM SNOW MOUNT ZION 39.78N 88.88W

01/21/2014 M2.9 INCH MACON IL MESONET

MEASURED 2.9 INCHES OF SNOW SINCE LATE MONDAY EVENING

WITH SNOW DEPTH OF 3 INCHES. STILL GETTING LIGHT SNOW AND

BLOWING SNOW AT 350 AM IN MOUNT ZION.

1" last hour and a wind gust of 43 mph at IND.

METAR KIND 211054Z 02022G37KT 3/4SM R05L/5000VP6000FT -SN BLSN VV012 M09/M12 A2994 RMK AO2 PK WND 04037/1046 SLP147 SNINCR1/4 P0000 T10941122 $

Haven't the slightest clue how much fell here by looking outside. Mad drifting. LAF wind observations have died, so can't see how high we've been this morning either. Such a crappy site.

6" give or take...really needed a better stall to get crazy but another excellent event that gets us 1 step closer to a top 3 winter.

Pretty good. If this keeps up...oh boy, winter for the ages. Getting ahead of myself probably. Weekend clippers look interesting. Might be some relatively high impact snow/wind combo deals.

MDW COOP report.

0536 AM HEAVY SNOW 3 SW MIDWAY AIRPORT 41.75N 87.79W

01/21/2014 M7.2 INCH COOK IL CO-OP OBSERVER

STORM TOTAL SNOW...WITH 0.28 LIQUID.

Pretty good. If this keeps up...oh boy, winter for the ages. Getting ahead of myself probably. Weekend clippers look interesting. Might be some relatively high impact snow/wind combo deals.

MDW COOP report.

0536 AM HEAVY SNOW 3 SW MIDWAY AIRPORT 41.75N 87.79W

01/21/2014 M7.2 INCH COOK IL CO-OP OBSERVER

STORM TOTAL SNOW...WITH 0.28 LIQUID.

Through midnight was able to get a pretty accurate measurement of 2.9", through 545" had to estimate about another 4" as the blowing/drifting was a lot worse and the amount on my "snowboard" aka the newspaper stand was very little. Looks like 6.9" for the loop with most of that pure lake effect. Not bad.

I'm going to guess 2" here, judging by what fell in my gauge before the wind picked up. 1 to 2 foot drifts have cropped up around the house. Impressive.

Sounds good to me. I have no idea. Got some foot deep drifts behind my car in the lot.

Through midnight was able to get a pretty accurate measurement of 2.9", through 545" had to estimate about another 4" as the blowing/drifting was a lot worse and the amount on my "snowboard" aka the newspaper stand was very little. Looks like 6.9" for the loop with most of that pure lake effect. Not bad.

Newspaper stand meet NWS snow measuring criteria. ;):D

didn't hit my 4.1 inches here, but came somewhat close....I would say somewhere around 2.5 to 3 inches looks to be my final tally.  The wind was very impressive though...my driveway has that GHD look to it, where parts of the driveway are wiped clean...while others have some significant drifting on it.  Largest drift I found around my house was about 18 inches....yet that included some of the leftover snow from previous events.  Largest drift I found on previously cleaned surfaces was close to a foot.

The seeder/enhancement unfolded as I thought it would as well as the getting grazed by the plume....didn't quite count on these winds being as excessive as they were though...which probably went quite a ways to shattering up any of the larger dendrites that would have tried to work their way down towards my local here away from the lake...

Another memorable event in what is becoming one of the most memorable winters in my lifetime...

Chilling cold now with the winds still fairly stout and still causing some blowing/drifting

Archived