Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 13-21st Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That band has been nearly stationary for nearly 3 hours now, I've got to think that some areas in Highland, East Chicago, Gary, and/or Hammond are pushing double digits snow totals by now. Slightly weaker echoes than what they're getting now gave me 2.5"/hour snowfall rates last night. 

0835 AM     HEAVY SNOW       SCHERERVILLE            41.49N 87.45W
01/21/2014  M5.5 INCH        LAKE               IN   TRAINED SPOTTER

5.5 INCHES IN THE PAST 2 HOURS. RECORDED A 3 INCH HOURLY
            RATE FOR ONE HOUR. SNOW CONTINUES TO FALL. REPORT VIA
            FACEBOOK.

Yep, it is certainly fun to watch those traffic cams on the Borman Expressway with blue sky at the state line and heavy snow as you move farther east.  I have family in Highland west of Cline Avenue and north of Ridge Road and it has really been ripping there.  Now moving eastward to Broadway and the I-65 merger.   Amazingly intense narrow band that still extends up to Muskegon area.

5.9" at ORD

January total up to 29.7". Now the 4th snowiest January on record...with still time to go.

Season total up to 44.8".

Interesting to note that while Detroit averages more snow than Chicago, our snowiest January is just 29.6" (vs 34.9" in Dec, 38.4" in Feb, and 30.2" in Mar). Obviously Chicago has had 4 Januaries with more than that. Detroit is now at 2nd snowiest January, just 1.8" away from #1. With this LES, ORD had nudged ahead of DTW 44.8" to 44.5".

Looks like a general 1-2" of snow last night for the SE 4 counties in SE MI, totally unexepected, and totally without wind, unlike the crazy gusts out to our west and southwest.

Was the 7.2" at MDW the highest Chicago area report?

Interesting to note that while Detroit averages more snow than Chicago, our snowiest January is just 29.6" (vs 34.9" in Dec, 38.4" in Feb, and 30.2" in Mar). Obviously Chicago has had 4 Januaries with more than that. Detroit is now at 2nd snowiest January, just 1.8" away from #1. With this LES, ORD had nudged ahead of DTW 44.8" to 44.5".

Looks like a general 1-2" of snow last night for the SE 4 counties in SE MI, totally unexepected, and totally without wind, unlike the crazy gusts out to our west and southwest.

Was the 7.2" at MDW the highest Chicago area report?

7.3 Lincolnwood, 8.5 Oak Park and NW IN is going to be 1'+

1" last hour and a wind gust of 43 mph at IND.

METAR KIND 211054Z 02022G37KT 3/4SM R05L/5000VP6000FT -SN BLSN VV012 M09/M12 A2994 RMK AO2 PK WND 04037/1046 SLP147 SNINCR1/4 P0000 T10941122 $

Haven't the slightest clue how much fell here by looking outside. Mad drifting. LAF wind observations have died, so can't see how high we've been this morning either. Such a crappy site.

I say call it 2" and be done with it.  That also matches up with other reports from around the area.

dual max idea was right on but the western max ended up way north/west

I feel the plume set up close to modeled....the one difference was that the LP trended ever so slightly stronger which helped winds on the southern tip of the lake back out of the east a little more than expected for a decent enough chunk of time to make a difference...

I could be completely wrong....but that's my 2 cents on the matter

Archived