northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auto correct. Are you related to Glenn Burns?

Nope.  Are you related to.....

Welcome to Metallic

Metallic Building Company is your leading resource for custom-engineered metal building

systems of the highest quality. As one of the oldest and most trusted brand names in

the metal construction industry, builders, general contractors and architects count on

Metallic for the manufacturing capabilities and design flexibility that result in superior

metal building solutions. Take a few minutes to browse our Web site to learn more

about how Metallic can make the difference you’ve been looking for.

I've got a old pic 1917 where the Yadkin river was frozen over car and people standing on the river. But it want let me post the pic? says this

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.? is there another way to post the pic? it's awesome pic would like to share. any help?

Upload it here.... http://imgur.com/  then post it. The image code will be on the right sidebar ;) 

Ec9Y6q6.jpg?1

This was 1917 I live about 2 miles from Yadkin river on Surry side. Thanks Buckeyefan1

That bridge was the one that connected Elkin and Jonesville NC.

Elkin’s Covered Bridge

Title Elkin’s Covered Bridge
Description Elkin. Elkin’s old covered toll bridge, built in 1872, which crossed the Yadkin River between Jonesville and Elkin. At the time it was built, it was reported to be the longest wooden suspension bridge in the world - the span being 210 feet. The crossing fee was five cents.
Subjects Bridges
Covered bridges
Rivers
Search Terms Elkin
Yadkin River
Classification Transportation
Collection Elkin Historical Collection
Condition Poor
Print size 3” x 7”
Accession number 2005l2
Catalog Number 2005.2.137
Provenance This picture was loaned to the Surry County Historical Society for scanning and cataloging. It remains a part of the Elkin Historical Collection.
Credit line Courtesy of the Surry County Historical Society
Image Elkin’s Covered Bridge
This one came out of down towns here u cross now

New SearchPrint
Frozen Yadkin, Elkin. On December 17, 1917, the ice on the Yadkin River was 8 inches thick. Andrew Greenwood, accompanied by Grady Harris, Ernest Nichols, Grady Nichols, W. W. Whitaker, Paul Eidson, and L. R. Combs, photographer, drove this car out on the ice. According to Claire Smith, people would cut ice out of the river and store it for use in warmer weather. In the background is the new bridge which was built after the 1916 flood., Automobiles
New SearchPrint

Thought some of you that live around close might enjoy this!

Ec9Y6q6.jpg?1

This was 1917 I live about 2 miles from Yadkin river on Surry side. Thanks Buckeyefan1

That bridge was the one that connected Elkin and Jonesville NC.

Elkin’s Covered Bridge

Title Elkin’s Covered Bridge

Description Elkin. Elkin’s old covered toll bridge, built in 1872, which crossed the Yadkin River between Jonesville and Elkin. At the time it was built, it was reported to be the longest wooden suspension bridge in the world - the span being 210 feet. The crossing fee was five cents.

Subjects Bridges

Covered bridges

Rivers

Search Terms Elkin

Yadkin River

Classification Transportation

Collection Elkin Historical Collection

Condition Poor

Print size 3” x 7”

Accession number 2005l2

Catalog Number 2005.2.137

Provenance This picture was loaned to the Surry County Historical Society for scanning and cataloging. It remains a part of the Elkin Historical Collection.

Credit line Courtesy of the Surry County Historical Society

Image Elkin’s Covered Bridge

This one came out of down towns here u cross now

New SearchPrint

Frozen Yadkin, Elkin. On December 17, 1917, the ice on the Yadkin River was 8 inches thick. Andrew Greenwood, accompanied by Grady Harris, Ernest Nichols, Grady Nichols, W. W. Whitaker, Paul Eidson, and L. R. Combs, photographer, drove this car out on the ice. According to Claire Smith, people would cut ice out of the river and store it for use in warmer weather. In the background is the new bridge which was built after the 1916 flood., Automobiles

New SearchPrint

Thought some of you that live around close might enjoy this!

Cool pic! See that guy standing in front of the car? That's JBURNS on his first snow chase!

Cool pic! See that guy standing in front of the car? That's JBURNS on his first snow chase!

lol That might have been a bit before my time.  I have driven a car on a lake.  I grew up on Greenwood Lake.  1 mile wide, 9 miles long, half in NJ, half in NY state.  There was a yearly car race on it in late Jan and we used to drive on it regularly.  It was a great place.  Ice fishing, ice boating, skating, hockey and big bonfires on the ice.  

I would like to experience a NY winter once in my lifetime. They say once you experience one, you wouldn't want to stay. I think I would love it

It was great as a kid.  The thing is, people go outside in the winter and do "winter stuff".  Down here most folks run for bread and milk and then don't come outside until the last, "patches of black ice" from melting snow advisory expires.

...I'm originally from northern New England where the Caribou, ME NWS office will issue special weather statements like the NWS offices have done here since the outbreak of record cold temps. However, they add a helpful note...on nights as cold as these, drivers should take special care in the morning for kittens and cats that will climb inside the engine of a car to stay warm and are often terribly injured or killed when people start their cars. As someone who has gone through this, I can assure you, it is a horrible experience to inflict such damage to a living creature. You might want to add a note to your message that people bang on the hood of their cars or blow the horn before starting the engine to avoid hurting an animal.

Thanks everyone....

I've got a old pic 1917 where the Yadkin river was frozen over car and people standing on the river. But it want let me post the pic? says this

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.? is there another way to post the pic? it's awesome pic would like to share. any help?

The winter of 1917-8 was one of the great ones in N GA if you like intense cold and wintry precip. In the Atlanta area, there was a long duration major S/IP storm in Dec. (4.9"). The mix stayed on the ground for 10 days! (Tony would have been in heaven because it included lots of IP), Dec., 1917, was a top three cold Dec. going back to 1879. January, 1918, was a top 5 cold Jan. and top 5-6 wet Jan. (9.12"). It had a really bad icestorm, a smaller ice event, a moderate snow, and a moderate S/IP mix spread throughout the month. That winter resulted in ~10" of S/IP per the Atlanta Journal. Officially, it was closer to 8" but keep in mind that a good portion of this was the more concentrated IP.

Ok, was out making bubbles, and it's pretty cool, for sure, but I need more industrial surface tension.  I'm getting some great bubbles, and the vortex sweeps them up 20 feet rapidly from the heat of my breath, then they float carressed by the vortex, then they lower to about 10 feet, then hover, and the vortex relaxes it's grip, then they crash and burn.  Or....they will float up about 15 feet, and crystaline shapes will form at the top...snow flake patterns..extremely cool, but then they explode after a point.  What I need is for surface tension to be so strong, they will float a load of dye in the walls, float above the canvas, then explode on command, when I poke it with a stick.  Will super glue help hold the surface tension?  How about a more industrial strength soap?  Degreaser? Mechanics hand soap?  Soap from BigFoot fat?

I can tell I'm going to have to do lots of experimentation in my underground lab with this.  Maybe get the Moles on it.  I hope it gets very cold again before another 3 years goes by.  I will have important tests to run.  T

I don't think I can handle another PV dump like what is showing on a few runs. (Maybe even colder).

I went back and did some Jan 85 looking... turns out December of 84 was above normal, then Jan ended up so cold that year..

Now we might be looking at another thump from the Vortex around the same time the cold blast nailed us in Jan 85' again.

I don't want unless snow.

My fireplace is broken and I don't like seeing the word "Auxilery Heat" on my heatpump.

I don't think I can handle another PV dump like what is showing on a few runs. (Maybe even colder).

I went back and did some Jan 85 looking... turns out December of 84 was above normal, then Jan ended up so cold that year..

Now we might be looking at another thump from the Vortex around the same time the cold blast nailed us in Jan 85' again.

I don't want unless snow.

At least with the snow you can have an excuse to stay home and enjoy it. When it's just cold like it has been the last two days, it's not fun having to go to work and being so cold.

Archived