gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Record Breaking Cold January 3-4 & 7-8 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In February 96 Madison saw a high of -14 and low of -27. In Jan 94, they had a high of -13 and low of -27. Jussst a bit stronger. Madison hasn't even broken -20 this go around, and the temp there right now is -13. They won't even beat their daily record of -24. Very very cold? Yes. Historic? Not really.

It is historic... Chicago broke their record from 1884. That's over 130 years of data keeping.

February '96 is a little bit different because that had a slightly better blocking which helped. But its very much like Jan 1994 in many respects.

Does anyone know KNYC's record low max for tomorrow? Temps are really starting to plummet, but it's still gonna be tough for the park to get below 20 or so by midnight. Single digits and low teens are pushing into eastern PA now, but those numbers probably won't be into the NYC metro area until 1-2am at the earliest IMO. 

Does anyone know KNYC's record low max for tomorrow? Temps are really starting to plummet, but it's still gonna be tough for the park to get below 20 or so by midnight. Single digits and low teens are pushing into eastern PA now, but those numbers probably won't be into the NYC metro area until 1-2am at the earliest IMO.

Not sure about tomorrow but today's was 12. Their low may not even break that

17° in 1878.

It is historic... Chicago broke their record from 1884. That's over 130 years of data keeping.

February '96 is a little bit different because that had a slightly better blocking which helped. But its very much like Jan 1994 in many respects.

It was just a daily record. When you are setting all time records or state records, that is historic.

Fwiw it was broken in the middle of day, that I feel is impressive

I agree, it is quite impressive. I'm just saying this isn't in the same league as 94 and 96. The former got the park below 0, a feat that in and of itself would make an outbreak historic at this point.

I agree, it is quite impressive. I'm just saying this isn't in the same league as 94 and 96. The former got the park below 0, a feat that in and of itself would make an outbreak historic at this point.

Yeah it's going to take a lot more for us to get below 0 in the park. Upsetting is the fact we had a fresh snow pack the other night and still could not do it. Oh well I will take the nor'easter over the cold any day

Yeah it's going to take a lot more for us to get below 0 in the park. Upsetting is the fact we had a fresh snow pack the other night and still could not do it. Oh well I will take the nor'easter over the cold any day

At this rate, to get NYC below zero, you might need something like a surge of 850 T below (-25 C) moving from the north.

At this rate, to get NYC below zero, you might need something like a surge of 850 T below 25 C moving from the north.

NYC may have done it tonight if we had the timing 3-4 hours earlier on this...the CAA is so strong that even with a W wind I think they'd have pulled it off, I could see it down to 2 or 3 possible around 7-8am but thats probably the lowest its gonna get.

Archived