amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Record Breaking Cold January 3-4 & 7-8 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How fast is the -25 C contour moving east? If that crosses NYC, we will likely go below zero.

Ill post the next image when it updates

HRRR gets nyc to -1 by sunrise. We'll see

It might be possible. I just dropped another degree in 10 min

12.9 now

Wunderground has a cool tool where you can see the temps in your area in rapid fire ...meaning some stations are constantly sending in readings every few seconds. If you click the link and scroll down to North Merrick weather stations and click on the arrow..then give it a sec and click it again the stations that light up in green have a wind or temp change. You literally can watch the temps fall if you don't have a weather station. I have one but like using this tool too.

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/NY/North_Merrick.html

The rate of decline is starting to slow in the PWSs in Manhattan.  I see a low of 12.2 and high of 13.8 of all the city-based stations.

The WCBS station dropped from 19F at midnight to 14.8F at 12:59am (a drop of 4.2F), and from 14.8 at 12:59am to 13.1 at 1:30am, a drop of 1.7F.

The rate of decline is starting to slow in the PWSs in Manhattan.  I see a low of 12.2 and high of 13.8 of all the city-based stations.

The WCBS station dropped from 19F at midnight to 14.8F at 12:59am (a drop of 4.2F), and from 14.8 at 12:59am to 13.1 at 1:30am, a drop of 1.7F.

Yea the dew point decline has significantly slowed

Was supposed to fly out to Toronto at 7. Delayed till 10. Boarded at 11. Waited on Tarmac at LGA till midnight. Told to wait another hour. A few minutes later Toronto airport grounded all flights and closed down because of blowing snow and iced over runways. I make my out of LGA at 1am, manage a cab ride to Jamaica LIRR. Brave the cold 15 degree temps for 5 minutes and give up. Wait in JFK AirTrain wing. Just boarded the train back to Ronkonkoma.

Guys, the cumulative time I just spent walking around here and there, this cold is no joke. The wind is ripping and you simply can't contain your body heat. I tried standing next to a pole but the wind still wrapped around and got me.

TL;DR: it's really cold outside

Was supposed to fly out to Toronto at 7. Delayed till 10. Boarded at 11. Waited on Tarmac at LGA till midnight. Told to wait another hour. A few minutes later Toronto airport grounded all flights and closed down because of blowing snow and iced over runways. I make my out of LGA at 1am, manage a cab ride to Jamaica LIRR. Brave the cold 15 degree temps for 5 minutes and give up. Wait in JFK AirTrain wing. Just boarded the train back to Ronkonkoma.

Guys, the cumulative time I just spent walking around here and there, this cold is no joke. The wind is ripping and you simply can't contain your body heat. I tried standing next to a pole but the wind still wrapped around and got me.

TL;DR: it's really cold outside

Bad luck on your -25 quest. Stay warm!!

Archived