• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Record Breaking Cold January 3-4 & 7-8 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

December 2010 was an awesome below avg. month, think NYC avg. around -4F departure. Media hypes everything these days. News, not just the weather. More views, more money, that's all they care about. When they hype weather and people realize it's not so bad, they give meteorology a bad a name.

It's really annoying.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hilarious.  When we on here, who I would say have a greater than average understanding of meteorology at the least (and the degreed mets obvious way above average) see just how wrong the media is when they attempt to discuss weather/climate-related events, it makes you wonder just how wrong they are when reporting on other fields of science, policy, economics, etc.

Upton no longer believes that we will have a flash freeze tonight due to high winds and only slowly falling temps.. They say the only way parts of the area will see a flash freeze is if we get some snow showers with the artic frontal passage this evening. And that will be handled with a sps if necessary and I believe the chance of snow showers are slim especially east of NYC. Would be nice to get a couple of snow showers to coat the ground but oh well.....

It's bad, but it's nothing like the outbreaks the country used to see even as late as the 90s.

Yeah, those 90's outbreaks were much more impressive. The 850 mb temps were closer to -42C in that February 1996 

Arctic outbreak compared to closer to -32C today. Both the 96 and 94 events were historic for the all time record lows 

and new state lows that they set.

Was sweating this morning in my jacket, now sitting at 39F. I'm heading to LGA tonight to fly to Toronto where they already have flash freeze warnings and have been experiencing freaking ice quakes this past week! Can't wait to feel -40F windchill :).

Ice quakes.

Ice.

Quakes.

Yeah, those 90's outbreaks were much more impressive. The 850 mb temps were closer to -42C in that February 1996 

Arctic outbreak compared to closer to -32C today. Both the 96 and 94 events were historic for the all time record lows 

attachicon.gif96020200.jpg

attachicon.gifnam_850_6h.gif

Yea in both 94 and 96 we got into the -10s to -20s down in Virginia.  Now THAT is cold.

The jet blue thing is so stupid in my opinion. If a good sound effect band develops tomorrow I'm gonna head out east such a rare event

I'm fairly shocked they are making such a wild move like that because I know for a fact they have a staff meteorologist there or at least they did a year or two ago but who knows, sometimes those decisions are made from high ups who may not be the best qualified to make them

December 2010 was an awesome below avg. month, think NYC avg. around -4F departure. Media hypes everything these days. News, not just the weather. More views, more money, that's all they care about. When they hype weather and people realize it's not so bad, they give meteorology a bad a name.

There are things going on in DC that the media should hype and it doesn't.

The way the media is portraying this cold snap as biblical is getting annoying.  Got friends (seriously) comparing this to The Day After Tomorrow or calling it the worst cold snap in history.  As it stands now this isn't holding a candle to Feb 96 or Jan 94.  In fact, the upper plains had colder temps prior to our snowstorm on the 2nd/3rd.

LOL. you don't know what you are talking about. It will and already rivals January 1994 and beats it in come locations in the midwest. For example, Madison WI, saw a high temp of -9, something which hasn't been done since February 1996.

attachicon.gif96020200.jpg

attachicon.gifnam_850_6h.gif

I agree that the '94 and '96 outbreaks were impressive but plenty of record lows have been set in the last few years since the PDO flip. Maine had its state record low at -50F in Big Black River on 1/16/09, and Oklahoma had its all-time low of -28F on February 10, 2011. December 2009 and December 2010 were both very cold months nationally as well...ditto March 2013 in the East.

LOL. you don't know what you are talking about. It will and already rivals January 1994 and beats it in come locations in the midwest. For example, Madison WI, saw a high temp of -9, something which hasn't been done since February 1996.

Let me know when we see -50s and -60s.

In February 96 Madison saw a high of -14 and low of -27. In Jan 94, they had a high of -13 and low of -27. Jussst a bit stronger. Madison hasn't even broken -20 this go around, and the temp there right now is -13. They won't even beat their daily record of -24. Very very cold? Yes. Historic? Not really.

Archived