Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 2014 pattern discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-904-0-06135700-1388179219_thumb.jpg

The upper left panel had a discerned PNA spike yesterday at this time.  Now, all for domains spaces look like they did 3 weeks ago during the hay-day of the -EPO/-PNA...  It's just like there's some persistent physical presence in the circulation that's usurping this result. 

attachicon.gifcdc.jpg

The upper left panel had a discerned PNA spike yesterday at this time.  Now, all for domains spaces look like they did 3 weeks ago during the hay-day of the -EPO/-PNA...  It's just like there's some persistent physical presence in the circulation that's usurping this result. 

I noticed models retrograded and cut down the higher domains with yesterday being the beginning of it. However the AK ridging is still there. I'm no long range savant, but as the MJO wave moves east one would think the PNA should not back down the way it does. Only thing I can think of is some sort of RW train and increased STJ that develops as a result of the MJO?  I mean part of me thinks this may be a typical wane, only for the models to come back. I don't know. I do think it will lead to increased storminess so that's good. However the track is up for grabs.

I love the way the PV keeps pinwheeling around in Canada, cold, colder coldest

if it stays south we are good to go...if it wobbles back and forth which is what the trend has been and where i'd lean right now (and seems to be well signaled on most guidance)... it will be up/down/up/down kind of deal i think. i'm not sure it will be cold, colder, coldest, however.

of course, obviously if it lifts too far north...we are in trouble.

if it stays south we are good to go...if it wobbles back and forth which is what the trend has been and where i'd lean right now (and seems to be well signaled on most guidance)... it will be up/down/up/down kind of deal i think. i'm not sure it will be cold, colder, coldest, however.

I corrected my post earlier, but I meant the PNA should not back down like it has...but Mother Nature doesn't care what I think. :lol:   I still think ensemble guidance is too smoothed out so the op runs probably will have an idea of the pattern. If you reduce the GFS truncation and plowing into NY state of lows which probably won't be as realistic...you still get a front end snow perhaps before a mix. I think the models are going to vary from run to run, but the model bias lately has been to lift the PV out too quick. Also, note a recharge of cold in western Canada which should move east in the 11-15 day.  So all in all I feel optimistic, but I wouldn't expect 40" of snow this month..lol. We can always hope though.

Maybe we can get Jayhawk to put something together like weenies sitting next to polar vortices on the bus going up and down.....lol.

I corrected my post earlier, but I meant the PNA should not back down like it has...but Mother Nature doesn't care what I think. :lol:   I still think ensemble guidance is too smoothed out so the op runs probably will have an idea of the pattern. If you reduce the GFS truncation and plowing into NY state of lows which probably won't be as realistic...you still get a front end snow perhaps before a mix. I think the models are going to vary from run to run, but the model bias lately has been to lift the PV out too quick. Also, note a recharge of cold in western Canada which should move east in the 11-15 day.  So all in all I feel optimistic, but I wouldn't expect 40" of snow this month..lol. We can always hope though.

i'm sort of on the fence. always like seeing the big cold in Canada. that's a nice place to start from. and there's plenty of reason to think it'll be active.

that said, i'm not on the wire-to-wire train 

i'm sort of on the fence. always like seeing the big cold in Canada. that's a nice place to start from. and there's plenty of reason to think it'll be active.

that said, i'm not on the wire-to-wire train 

It's sad that you can't focus on the positives. Says a lot. 

Causing all sorts of problems in here today. Maybe I need a break

I followed you ...   

I saw that yesterday too, but I usually like to wait a day or two when a going trend is disrupted, so I waited, and then of course last night's runs really did the fuller about face.

It may indeed be a falsity, who knows, but seeing the trend break toward what we've had all along, is somewhat believable.  Sometimes a persistent signal is harder to break down.  That said, I do see that a few GEFs members want to bring the MJO into Phase 7 -- that is also new.  The majority of them keep the wave too weak to imply much forcing, though (for the time being; new night, new run though).  

Phil, I was also never on the wire-to-wire train.  Mainly because I have never lived a winter that went that way, so ... still waiting. Even the mega 1995-1996 winter had a major break the other way.  

OT but I thought I heard we were undergoing a SSW event. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see that by looking at this...

The warming is modeled, not verified yet...  And, it is center over eastern Siberia and the GOA.  

These graphs you provided are scalar.   Here is the modeled warm node at 50hPa as provided by CPC, for D6 -- the 0-hour is substantially cooler:

gfs_t50_nh_f144.gif

Caution folks, a warm on-set is a lot different than a SSW.  Moreover, not all warm nodes that erupt propagate downward, which is extremely important in the

-AO correlation.   It is too soon to know using these products.

Archived