• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 13-14th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

It's certainly a better system at 850 but crap at 700/500...weak push of moisture north with the pseudo warm front and we're left on the fringe...it's going to be a bad run for our area no doubt.  Excellent run for central IL with a more developed defo feature.

yeah...I-80 holding up the stop signs in terms of northward propagation

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

screwhole between LE and synoptic snows nicely illustrated. This is going to be a really dry run for N. IL

It ends up getting a little better through hr 27

.5 QPF splitting Chicago almost in half now....

Looks like it was just a continuation of the slower trend that started with last night's 00z run. 0.5 is a bump up from that run.

WWA issued for COok County for 10pm tonight, I am assuming it is due to the potential for LES.  Morning mets calling for less than 2" for the central portion of the Chicago area, almost nothing up near the border. 

Looks like it was just a continuation of the slower trend that started with last night's 00z run. 0.5 is a bump up from that run.

well NCEP has the .5 cutoff maybe 15 35 miles south of what insta shows through H33 ... so I dunno...prolly best to side with NCEP

Gonna be a tight gradient for sure. Doesn't appear to be appear to be an appreciably worse run for Chicago proper but the farther west in the metro and out towards northwest IL looks a little lower. That's been the case across all model runs now. I'd still say 2-3, 2-4 for Bolingbrook Naperville area.

Hourly point has 3.0" exactly here.

I will go 1.8" for here.

OT but season total so far is 5.3"

1.8 is a good call

Agreed, amounts should further tail off west of there too. I think you might do okay relatively speaking in the city, could be some added frictional convergence into Lake and Cook and if things haven't changed much from last night's run you might pick up some lake effect tomorrow afternoon into the evening. The 00z was showing nice land breeze convergence and h8 temps cooling to -10 to -11.

3-5" is a reasonable expectation for Detroit.

More areas will likely be closer to 3" than 5".

It's better than nothing.

(just to be clear, I would be 10 times more thrilled about this event if it all fell in a period of a few hours. This is looking like a nuisance snowfall if anything).

Agreed, amounts should further tail off west of there too. I think you might do okay relatively speaking in the city, could be some added frictional convergence into Lake and Cook and if things haven't changed much from last night's run you might pick up some lake effect tomorrow afternoon into the evening. The 00z was showing nice land breeze convergence and h8 temps cooling to -10 to -11.

yeah, it will freshen things up a bit and make for a nice wintery Saturday but I think our window for something a little more exciting is closed at this point.

yeah, it will freshen things up a bit and make for a nice wintery Saturday but I think our window for something a little more exciting is closed at this point.

Agreed. The players on the field are well sampled now. I could be wrong but I don't think it will be as sharp a cut off as the March storm that slammed Springfield and even got 9" up to southern LOT. The glass half full view I'm taking is we get a couple more inches when last winter we couldn't buy any snow in the Chicago area til February.

Gonna be a tight gradient for sure. Doesn't appear to be appear to be an appreciably worse run for Chicago proper but the farther west in the metro and out towards northwest IL looks a little lower. That's been the case across all model runs now. I'd still say 2-3, 2-4 for Bolingbrook Naperville area.

Silly gradients with this system....not to mention some LE potential on the northern fringes of LOT....just another fun day at the office for the boys at LOT, eh?  good luck with everything today....I feel the office has handled everything very well with forecasting this somewhat slippery event...props

Silly gradients with this system....not to mention some LE potential on the northern fringes of LOT....just another fun day at the office for the boys at LOT, eh?  good luck with everything today....I feel the office has handled everything very well with forecasting this somewhat slippery event...props

Yeah the LE Is something I'm interested in seeing how it plays out. I hadn't looked at it much until last night's 00z runs because the parameters weren't all that favorable for northeast IL but they do get better with time tomorrow. With the trough still overhead later tomorrow, winds turn more northeast with improving lake induced instability and I'm wondering if the band hugs the Lake and Cook lakeshore.

We haven't done the best with the first 2 systems (myself included last Sunday lol) but hopefully we have a better handle on this one. I'm not there today but was scheduled as an extra at 4am tomorrow to help out. If my drive is smooth to work that means we overforecast here haha.

Agreed. The players on the field are well sampled now. I could be wrong but I don't think it will be as sharp a cut off as the March storm that slammed Springfield and even got 9" up to southern LOT. The glass half full view I'm taking is we get a couple more inches when last winter we couldn't buy any snow in the Chicago area til February.

Good way of looking at it! I didn't hit the 6" pre-total snowfall mark until mid to late January last year.

Good way of looking at it! I didn't hit the 6" pre-total snowfall mark until mid to late January last year.

ORD was at 3.5" through January, which is pretty incredible when you think about it.

3-5" is a reasonable expectation for Detroit.

More areas will likely be closer to 3" than 5".

It's better than nothing.

(just to be clear, I would be 10 times more thrilled about this event if it all fell in a period of a few hours. This is looking like a nuisance snowfall if anything).

I think DTXs 4-6" call looks good.

Archived