CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December 13-14th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro pretty much holds serve for this area in comparison to it's 12z run.  I'll just ride with that and revise my earlier 1-2" call for the QC back down to 1".  Still wouldn't be surprised to get a dusting or nothing at all, but the Euro seems pretty consistent, so we'll ride the 1" for a final call.

6z NAM veers the wind a bit more than the 0z run but it still probably wouldn't be enough to really get YYZ good with LES. EURO on the other hand drives the band right into Toronto. Even without LES, NAM is now sitting at about 0.65" QPF, it's wettest run yet. 

I'll bump my call for Toronto to 4-6" with 8" possible right along the lakeshore. West of the city (Mississauga-Hamilton) looks like a higher probability for say 6-9". Wouldn't be surprised if EC goes with a WSW for Peel/Halton/Hamilton this afternoon.

06z gfs looks colder for Ohio. Freezing line doesn't really make it north of the river. Might take away the problem of mix IMBY :snowing:

Now that we're inside 24 hrs I have to admit that the stubborn nam bringing that 850 line to I-70 worries me.   I've seen it score the coupe in these tight situations.   My call for CMH area is 2-5".   2 if we changeover, 5 if we don't.    Seems like a safe bet to me.

6z NAM veers the wind a bit more than the 0z run but it still probably wouldn't be enough to really get YYZ good with LES. EURO on the other hand drives the band right into Toronto. Even without LES, NAM is now sitting at about 0.65" QPF, it's wettest run yet. 

I'll bump my call for Toronto to 4-6" with 8" possible right along the lakeshore. West of the city (Mississauga-Hamilton) looks like a higher probability for say 6-9". Wouldn't be surprised if EC goes with a WSW for Peel/Halton/Hamilton this afternoon.

SREF mean bumped QPF up to 0.61" at YYZ... the ARW model is also brining the lake effect band right through toronto, while the RGEM, and NMM hover it just south of the city. Wonder which high res model will handle this situation better.

I have learned this season to take any modest bump in QPF the day before a storm with a grain of salt. It has already burned us twice in Ohio this season. Both the pre thanksgiving storm and the storm last week were all significantly overdone with respect to QPF, especially the day prior.

The models tend to broad brush these values. Realistically there will be lollipops of 2" and 7". For this event, I'd deduct 30% from the NAM's values for a general expectation, and use the actual NAM QPF for a max lollipop that only a few will actually see.

I have 2-5" in my p&c, yet no lake effect snow advisory here or nothing, haha.

Looking at a ENE/NE fetch all the way till tomorrow night starting this afternoon.

Details on the LES watch.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI
346 AM CST FRI DEC 13 2013

...LAKE EFFECT SNOWS EXPECTED TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY...

.LOW PRESSURE WILL TRACK WELL SOUTH OF WISCONSIN TONIGHT THROUGH
SATURDAY. COLD EAST TO NORTHEAST WINDS BLOWING ACROSS THE
RELATIVELY WARMER WATERS OF LAKE MICHIGAN WILL SET THE STAGE FOR A
PROLONGED LAKE EFFECT SNOW EVENT FOR SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN. THE SNOW
SHOULD BEGIN TO MOVE ONSHORE THIS AFTERNOON...BUT WE EXPECT THE
INITIAL SNOW TO BE RATHER LIGHT. BY EVENING...CONDITIONS BECOME
EVEN MORE FAVORABLE AND AT THAT POINT THE SNOW SHOULD INCREASE IN
INTENSITY AND THEN CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY...DIMINISHING
SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

SNOWFALL WITH LAKE EFFECT SNOW EVENTS IS BY NATURE VERY TOUGH TO
PREDICT. IT IS DIFFICULT TO KNOW AHEAD OF TIME JUST WHERE ANY
FOCUSED LAKE SNOW BANDS WILL SET UP. WE ARE CONFIDENT THAT MUCH OF
THE AREA WILL SEE 3 TO 5 INCHES OF SNOW...WITH THE HIGHEST
AMOUNTS CLOSE TO THE LAKE. WE ALSO FEEL THERE IS A PRETTY GOOD
CHANCE THAT SOME AREAS WITHIN THE COUNTIES BORDERING THE LAKE
COULD SEE 8 INCHES OR MORE AND THIS IS WHY WE HAVE A LAKE EFFECT
SNOW WATCH IN EFFECT THERE. WE SHOULD GET MORE INFORMATION TODAY
TO HELP US DECIDE WHETHER TO UPGRADE THAT AREA TO A LAKE EFFECT
SNOW WARNING...OR TO SETTLE ON A LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY.

GIVEN THE PERSISTENT EASTERLY FLOW...THIS LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL
SPREAD ACROSS NEARLY ALL OF SOUTHERN WISCONSIN OVERNIGHT...
ACCUMULATIONS WILL FALL OFF QUICKLY OUT TOWARD MADISON AND POINTS
WEST.

A met from TWN said on twitter last night they expect the squall to start down around Hamilton until early Sat afternoon, then veer a bit north. Some models take up far enough to hit TO, others stop it in Halton/Peel.  Virtually all models show a higher blob of snow from TO-Hamilton tho by the time it's all said and done.  Here's hoping.

Bitterly cold air will be locked in and mixing issues may be very slight even where thicknesses edge into marginal range. My call is about 5-8" from central IL across n/c IN into n OH and se MI, with a separate area of 5-10 inch falls in eastern WI partly connected through Chicago although I see where wind directions are mainly unfavourable at various times in the event for Chicago LES (east then north to northwest)... across southern ON general 3-6 inch snowfalls but 7-12 inches in bands from about Clarkson to Niagara (north). Set-up will pulverize Burlington and Oakville more than Toronto with wind direction about 080 deg backing to 040 late in event. QEW (highway not model :) ) will be bad, methinks, but further north not quite as bad. Event ends with minor secondary interacting with -15 C temps over +4 C lakes and this can only mean localized heavy streamers from odd directions on either side of trough being absorbed into coastal. Western MI could therefore get slammed in Sunday-Monday time frame as winds come around to NW'ly direction, eventually this also hits northern OH.

Some specific point forecasts:

ORD 4.0"

MKE 7.5"

MSN 1.9"

LAF 6.5"

CMI 5.5"

SBN-FWA 5.0"

GRR 3.7*

DTW 3.8"

CLE 3.3"

CMH 3.5"

YXU 2.7" (7 cm)

YYZ 3.3" (8 cm)

YHM 4.5" (11 cm)

but 10" (25 cm) at some point around Oakville-Burlington

point max could be Sheboygan WI at 14" or somewhere between there and MKE

This is a great start to winter, ORD anomaly could reach -8 F by middle of next week.

Thx for the fantastic write-up.

Living in downtown Hamilton spitting distance from the harbour, I've always felt that a 75-80 degree flow off Lake Ontario is the best direction for lake effect. YHM and points SE would probably need a 60-70degree flow.

I hope this forecast of 80 backing to 40 materializes.  Could be great around here.

It ends up getting a little better through hr 27

It's certainly a better system at 850 but crap at 700/500...weak push of moisture north with the pseudo warm front and we're left on the fringe...it's going to be a bad run for our area no doubt.  Excellent run for central IL with a more developed defo feature.

Archived