northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter 2013 - 2014 Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The KNYC snow depth reported has been stuck at 18" for days, which seems unlikely for that location (it usually seems to reduce quickly), not to mention a bit high. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I was in the park early on Thursday and there was easily 15. After that 8 more inches fell (albeit with some rain and compacting)

Wasn't sure if this was worthy of it's own thread in the General Forum or not... It's O/T - But quite cool. I have an interest in the aviation field & this latest episode combines both aviation & meteorology. Check it out, share if you will. It's the story of the NOAA42 WP-3D Orion's harrowing escape out of Hurricane Hugo after losing an engine at just 1500 feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDniQ6PHJ88

probably not

95-96 is in a league of its own for a reason. if the pattern developing for end of this month into early march can deliver a major snowstorm it can make a run at it. and I mean another 15-20" to make a run at that record. im not totally sold on breaking 95-96' snowfall records regionwide.....yet :popcorn:

We will surpass 1995-1996.

With the looks of a pattern reload back to a cold and stormy regime late february into march, that is not an outlandish statement. If everything were to line up properly for us; PNA, NAO, EPO, MJO, march could become pretty damn explosive. I would love a march 2001 scenario that works in our favor. What a storm that would be. 2-3 feet  from DC to Boston!!! :snowing:

With the looks of a pattern reload back to a cold and stormy regime late february into march, that is not an outlandish statement. If everything were to line up properly for us; PNA, NAO, EPO, MJO, march could become pretty damn explosive. I would love a march 2001 scenario that works in our favor. What a storm that would be. 2-3 feet  from DC to Boston!!! :snowing:

ohhh man that would be downright exciting. ive not seen a 24" snowfall at my house since 03'

Cold in March should produce something big. More moisture to play with and larger temperature variation from south to north. There is a reason the biggest blizzard of all time around here (1888) happened in March.

Its not a set in stone that we see the big one but its certianly more likely then normal.

NYC is probably not a favorite to break 95-96 but the suburbs will smash records...

71"  here in Dobbs Ferry and the record is 90" in 60-61. That's in serious danger with 3-6" tomorrow.

The problem with 2010-11 was that the pattern was breaking down when we needed it. Right now, we're seeing a very favorable regime being progged for late February/early March with a powerful EPO block as well as rising heights in the west-based NAO regions. This is accompanied by the development of split flow and the development of the southern stream.

It will not be easy.

But, I'd argue that this season is where everything is going right and chances are much better than any other year unlike 2010-2011.

NYC is probably not a favorite to break 95-96 but the suburbs will smash records...

71" here in Dobbs Ferry and the record is 90" in 60-61. That's in serious danger with 3-6" tomorrow.

The problem with 2010-11 was that the pattern was breaking down when we needed it. Right now, we're seeing a very favorable regime being progged for late February/early March with a powerful EPO block as well as rising heights in the west-based NAO regions. This is accompanied by the development of split flow and the development of the southern stream.

Nyc had 13.9" from this date through the end of the winter in 96 so it will be tough even with a few decent storms

According to accuwx pro they've had 23.3 so far this month

That is correct. I'm tasked with updating those tables, which we do at the end of each month. 

NCDC provides data from this station here: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datasets/GHCND/stations/GHCND:USC00286055/detail

Though, it seems that it doesn't update every day (only up to 2/14 right now). 

Scratch that. Even better, go here: http://weatherobs.rutgers.edu/ . These are direct from the Met department. 

I drove north along the Sagitikos Parkway today...roughly from Babylon to Kings Park...steepest gradient I can recall...saw huge bare areas in south facings spots along Sunrise Highway...a couple miles north of that...good solid snow cover...a few more miles north...near the L.I.E...looked like a good 10 to 12 inch snowpack...a mile north of the Northern State Parkway...looked like at least 15 inches...by the time I got to Kings Park...especially on north facing hills...it looked like I was in the Sierras.

Archived