Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter storm 12/8-9 model discussion part II

Ji

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone answer this. I asked earlier, maybe everyone was too busy, but typically in a winter system what pressure level does precip originate? Thanks somebody.

I think it depends, heck clouds can form pretty high up in the atmosphere so I don't think there is one magic level.  If you want snow, you do want the saturated level to reach a level where temp is below minus 8C,  even better -10C.  Maybe someone else can give you a better answer.

yes, but RGEM was stellar for the big 3 we had

Damn near every model was stellar for those big 3 events.  God I miss 2009-10!

EDIT:  I do seem to remember the RGEM was one of the first to indicate the Groundhog Day event we got that year...that quick 4-5" we got, which kind of got lost in the hype of two big ones a few days later.

I think it depends, heck clouds can form pretty high up in the atmosphere so I don't think there is one magic level. If you want snow, you do want the saturated level to reach a level where temp is below minus 8C, even better -10C. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer.

Thanks Wes. The reason I ask is I keep seeing people talk about the 700 or 750 levels. Heck, those are pretty high aren't they?

Precip coming in sooner, or more of it, or both?  Not getting the fast return on the latest panels as they come in (plus, flipping occasionally to ESPN to see how my 'Noles are doing, finally pulling away from Duke I see!).

using DC as a frame of reference...precip starts 8-9am....just under 0.25" by 18z

are RAP and HRRR out to lunch? Everyone not in the mountains shoots above freezing in the morning

We may warm a bit before precip arrives depending on timing. Those models are pretty iffy overall outside the first few hours if that.

Archived