Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter storm 12/8-9 model discussion part II

Ji

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm paranoid. And rightfully so. I've wasted a lot of hours the last 2 years with this exercised. Trending away chaps me to no end.

I've decided  I am going to ignore the NAM profiles and if they are right and I start pinging at noon...so be it...I don't think any of us would be shocked by a quick flip

The models have really barely changed in the past two or three days especially with sfc temps and timing of changeover. Precip specifics is kind of a wildcard.. I think we should treat it more like we do snow maps.

The models have really barely changed in the past two or three days especially with sfc temps and timing of changeover. Precip specifics is kind of a wildcard.. I think we should treat it more like we do snow maps.

it is s big wildcard for this event..certianly more than most all....I think you're right..though the euro might give us a sense if the nam/gfs are onto something at least with the wetter solutions...

GFS sounds like it's going colder on Monday even after we're done with snow/ice. Seems not too long ago it was pushing low 50s by Monday afternoon.

It's hard to warm effectively with no ripping sfc winds and no significant sun influence. Plus the frozen destruction all around.

It's hard to warm effectively with no ripping sfc winds and no significant sun influence. Plus the frozen destruction all around.

True enough.  Those 50+ temps projected for Monday the GFS had were from I think Thursday and early Friday runs.  It's clearly backed away from that.  As interesting as a good ice event would be, I would not look forward to frozen destruction and power outages.  Here in MoCo, the king of the power outages every time a twig falls from a tree!

I would say .3 or so is snow... we should sneak in another hour of snow after 18z IMO before sleet comes in

maybe..I think profiles will support that when we see them...but this run is a huge wet outlier so I don't know...I think 1-2" is still a good call in general and we see what happens

it is s big wildcard for this event..certianly more than most all....I think you're right..though the euro might give us a sense if the nam/gfs are onto something at least with the wetter solutions...

Seems good consensus for potential up to about 1" frozen in some zone perhaps a bit more. More than that seems too much.

Archived