Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter storm 12/8-9 model discussion part II

Ji

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM is still spitting out wild changes 12-18 hours before the event every run....you would think the storm is 3-4 days away with the run by run inconsistencies

There is a reason it was pretty much ignored by the NWS for this storm...

lol, i didn't even look at 18z pre 60 hours...I was at the gym.   Oops.

this run is actually more front loaded so potentiall as much or more impact for a wider area...though it is kind of silly to parse it all...it jumps around too much to take too seriously with the details, which is its main purpose ironically

that's actually true which is probably what Randy meant

Actually, I honestly didn't even look at the 18z NAM for this event.   But yeah, it's wetter for the colder part of the storm.   I want it to be right...I want a half inch of ice...cars abandoned on the side of the road, flights delayed, Eskimo Joe's power to be out....

this run is actually more front loaded so potentiall as much or more impact for a wider area...though it is kind of silly to parse it all...it jumps around too much to take too seriously with the details, which is its main purpose ironically

I mean, to be fair...GFS is kinda jumpy too on orientation of the front runner burst.     If we can't see some kind of consensus start now, I don't know what to say

Guess someone forgot to proofread (LWX disco at 8:54pm)

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM SUNDAY MORNING/...
HEADLINE UPDATE...WATCH HAS BEEN UPGRADED TO WARNING FOR MOST OF
THE AREA ROUGHLY WEST FROM INTERSTATE 95 TO THE ALLEGHENY FRONT.
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORIES ARE UP ELSEWHERE (ALL ZONES HAVE A
HEADLINE).

GENERAL PRECIPITATION EXPECTATION REMAINS OF SNOW CHANGING TO
SLEET...THEN FREEZING RAIN...SLOWLY TURNING TO RAIN. COLD AIR
DAMMING IS EXPECTED TO HOLD ON THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT...MORESO THAN
PROGGED BY LATEST GUIDANCE. THAT KEEPS SOME FREEZING RAIN INTO
MONDAY MORNING FOR THE NRN SHENANDOAH VALLEY AND WEST-CENTRAL
MARYLAND. THE POTENTIAL FOR A QUARTER INCH OF ICE IS QUITE HIGH
FOR MOST OF THE WARNING AREA. FOR VA/MD PIEDMONT AREA...THE
COMBINATION OF PERHAPS A COUPLE INCHES OF ICE AND A COUPLE TENTHS
INCH ICE WARRANTS A WARNING.

TONIGHT...COLD AHEAD OF THE SYSTEM. DEWPOINTS WILL GENERALLY DROP
INTO THE TEENS AS A NORTH WIND BRINGS IN COLD AIR. MIN TEMPS BELOW
FREEZING ACROSS THE CWA...WITH LOW 20S FOR NRN AND WRN ZONES.

That's probably more like 1.25"+. Not all will accrete in heavier activity. Will be sig in spots but we've known that for a few days now.

in Jan 1999 at one point we had 0.50" of rain in an hour with a temp of 28.  I don't think we are going to see that..  surface should be similar to that event....that was a great event even here in DC.  I wasn't here for 1994, but 1999 was the only event I remember where DC proper was basically a skating rink....like you couldn't walk.  I haven't experienced an event like that in DC other than that one...

in Jan 1999 at one point we had 0.50" of rain in an hour with a temp of 28.  I don't think we are going to see that..  surface should be similar to that event....that was a great event even here in DC.  I wasn't here for 1994, but 1999 was the only event I remember where DC proper was basically a skating rink....like you couldn't walk.  I haven't experienced an event like that in DC other than that one...

That was the MLK ice storm, right?  I remember missing that one in SC.  Had friends in mont county in hotels for weeks because they had no power.

I lost power in that one for 5 days, that was the last good ice storm here and one of the best in the 38 years i have been here.

That was the MLK ice storm, right?  I remember missing that one in SC.  Had friends in mont county in hotels for weeks because they had no power.

The 94 ice storm was epic.  Sleet for hours.  I worked so much that week due to temps freezing everything

It was a THU/FRI......we were in the mid to upper 30s on Friday so it mostly melted, but in the favored areas it was a disaster

in Jan 1999 at one point we had 0.50" of rain in an hour with a temp of 28. I don't think we are going to see that.. surface should be similar to that event....that was a great event even here in DC. I wasn't here for 1994, but 1999 was the only event I remember where DC proper was basically a skating rink....like you couldn't walk. I haven't experienced an event like that in DC other than that one...

But how much of that .50 ran off? How did that compare to other hours? I just don't think we can assume .70 as ZR equals .70 freezing rain accum. .5+ is going to be a problem if/where it happens I'm sure.

He basically has 2-4" snow plus .25-.50" ice where i live, seems highly unlikely. I guess the 2" plus .25" are a possibility but not the higher end of either.

Depends if Ice means sleet or Freezing Rain. DT should probably distinguish between the two since sleet does not cause power outages.

Archived