Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Problem. It's pretty weird the Upstate New York sub forum is pretty dead most the time. Even though we receive some of the largest snow totals out of anywhere in the country that have actual cities. I think I may begin to migrate over here since its much more active and fun to talk weather with ya'll. I mean Toronto and Ontario posters post here and there only an hour or two away from us. Were supposed to get another 1-2 feet tomorrow, me and a friend are going to go chasing and hopefully get some good video.

That is strange that there isn't a lot of activity about the LES in NY, back in 2007 there were dozens of pages about a 10 day event that was national news. Bolded part I agree ;) . I'm looking forward to the video!

Surface is so cold it's actually easier to see these high cloud patches on water vapor imagery vs infrared.  At least with the color tables I'm using.  Anyway, it looks like the high clouds should clear out here for at least a few hours by midnight, so we could still drop off some then.

EDIT:  Maybe not.  Southerly winds already kicking up just across the river in Iowa. 

Classic SE MI temp situation last night. Clear skies, light wind and light snowcover, temps started plummetting well below forecast. DTW was at 5F shortly after 3am, then quickly an overcast (and a few light snow showers) moved in, causing the temp to slowly rise into the 6-10F range the rest of the night. It is now clear again, but even on those rare clear December days clouds always get in the way here :lol:. This was, however, the 4th coldest December 12th morning on record:

-2F - 1988

4F - 1960

4F - 1962

5F - 2013

Band is definitely going to make it farther north than yesterday by observing recent radar trends. How intense it will be will be the question. However the NWS seems to indicate it will be just as intense or maybe more than yesterdays in latest special weather statement. I will be posting videos when it goes through my area!

...HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW BAND DEVELOPING THIS MORNING...A BAND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL INTENSIFYTHROUGH THE NOON HOUR. THIS DEVELOPING BAND EXTENDED FROMDUNKIRK...TO BOSTON...TO WALES AT 10 AM...AND WILL SLOWLY LIFTNORTH...INTO THE BUFFALO SOUTH TOWNS. SOME LOCATIONS IMPACTEDINCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO SILVER CREEK...EDEN...HAMBURG...EAST AURORA...ORCHARD PARK...MARILLA AND ATTICA.SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR OR MORE WILL BELIKELY...ALONG WITH WEST AND SOUTHWEST WINDS OF 15 TO 25 MPH RESULTINGIN CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...AND VISIBILITIES DOWNTO A FEW HUNDRED FEET AT TIMES. IN ADDITION...SNOW WILL ACCUMULATEON ROADS QUICKLY RESULTING IN SLICK SPOTS. THIS WILL PRODUCEDANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ACROSS THE THESE AREAS...INCLUDINGALONG INTERSTATE 90 FROM BROCTON TO DERBY.THE STEADIEST...HEAVIEST LAKE SNOWS WILL LIFT NORTH ACROSSHAMBURG...ORCHARD PARK AND EAST AURORA BETWEEN NOON AND 4 PM...THEN WILL APPROACH DOWNTOWN BUFFALO FOR THE EVENING RUSH HOUR.SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 3 INCHES AN HOUR CAN BE EXPECTED FOR THESOUTHERN AND EASTERN SUBURBS OF BUFFALO BETWEEN 4 AND 8 PM. THISWILL RESULT IN VERY DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS. MOTORISTS AREADVISED TO PREPARE FOR THIS SCENARIO BEFORE LEAVING FOR THEIRDAYTIME ACTIVITIES. THERE WILL EVEN BE THE CHANCE THAT AIR TRAVELWILL BE AFFECTED AT THE BUFFALO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT.

despite no advisories here, I've had very persistent snow, some heavy.

this is the top of a small shed in my backyard.

3-5" thru tonight still expected.

attachicon.gif12-12-13.JPG

Wow you had a bid move!  I love the are you moved to congrats!  I have relatives near Touch Lake.  I found in my years up north that advisories get used less as the winter goes on during snowy winters.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

0908 AM CST THU DEC 12 2013

...MORNING LOW TEMPERATURE ROUNDUP...

THE FOLLOWING ARE LOW TEMPERATURES FROM THE OVERNIGHT.

THE OBSERVATIONS ARE OFFICIAL AND SUPPLEMENTARY NWS

OBSERVATION SITES. ALSO NWS COOPERATIVE OBSERVER SITES

AND COCORAHS SITES.

LOCATION                         TEMPERATURES

ILLINOIS

AURORA/SUGAR GROVE AIRPORT..........-16

ROCHELLE AIRPORT....................-15

ROCHELLE............................-13

DE KALB.............................-10

DUPAGE AIRPORT......................-10

GENEVA 1.3SSW.......................-10

MAZON 0.5ENE........................-10

PAWPAW..............................-10

BATAVIA.............................-9

MARENGO.............................-9

NWS ROMEOVILLE......................-9

MENDOTA 0.9N........................-8

ROCKFORD AIRPORT....................-8

AURORA COOP.........................-7

BARRINGTON..........................-7

CARBON HILL 3.1N....................-7

COAL CITY 4NNW......................-7

Good stuff Bo!!!

Bo knows snow....

and I never get tired of it either! :P

Wow you had a bid move!  I love the are you moved to congrats!  I have relatives near Touch Lake.  I found in my years up north that advisories get used less as the winter goes on during snowy winters.

Hey dude!  Haven't talked to you in ages!  Moved here 15 months ago.   I'm just 15 minutes from Torch Lake.  Last Spring, it was one of the first 60 degree days and I took my boat out on Torch and in the center of the deepest part, the temp dropped to 44.  One of the most beautiful and clear lakes I have ever seen!

Hey dude!  Haven't talked to you in ages!  Moved here 15 months ago.   I'm just 15 minutes from Torch Lake.  Last Spring, it was one of the first 60 degree days and I took my boat out on Torch and in the center of the deepest part, the temp dropped to 44.  One of the most beautiful and clear lakes I have ever seen!

Have to say but I am a bit jealous.  My wife & I would love to live up in that area up toward Petoskey.  We go there several times in the winter ... Boyne!!

Archived