12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion

CAD_Wedge_NC

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS Ensemble members on EWall not very enthused with Jan 2 event for the SE.  A few are decent, a few are amped, north, and warmer, a few are a non-event

After a quick glance I only saw one that stuck out a decent for north GA P005 I think. .  As you said the amped ones were way to warm for North for GA.  Still a ways out though.

The gfse looked fine with the threat. Dt is doing a big write up!

Kiss of death. 

Nah, there has been a vaugue, generic, moderate, meh storm signal for this time period for several days.  I'm curious.  The blocking showing up on the GFS has been a bit better the last few runs I think....I wonder if that will continue or not.  At this point, even if it's moisture starved, I'd love to have a nice dusting/coating event that's all snow, NO MARGINAL TEMP issues.  I'd take that and call January a win. 

I personally would like to see today or tomorrow's Euro runs begin to hint at a system on 1/2...the fact that the GFS has shown it over the past 2-3 days and it now is showing up at Day 7, I think we may have something of note to track. GFS bias has always been for storms to disappear between days 5-7 only for it to reappear inside of Day 5 so therefor it wouldn't totally be a shock if the GFS tries to lose it come tomorrow.

After a quick glance I only saw one that stuck out a decent for north GA P005 I think. .  As you said the amped ones were way to warm for North for GA.  Still a ways out though.

As is usual, N GA's better chances for, say 1"+ of snow, are when there is a fairly weak Miller A in most cases, not something that gets "amped". The big snows from 3/1993 were one exception.

We have seriously got to consider this Euro solution of the PV high tailing it NE.

I agree.  The GFS has been adamant on it staying put, and the Euro seems bent on it scooting out.  If anyone watched DT's video (this week in weather)..........he was showing the maps of the Euro vs. the GFS it certainly looked like there was little blocking there to keep the PV in eastern Canada on the GFS.  Sure, the block over the top squashes it toward SE Canada, but it looked to me like it could scoot northeast pretty easily.  Perhaps the ensembles here will lead the way?  

For anyone keeping track, has there been a trend on the ensembles for either the GFS or Euro over the last several days?

Without a mechanism to hold the PV in place (blocking?), the solution from the Euro also seems reasonable. This event (if there is one) is still out in the 168 hour range where the correlation (see Queencitywx's post) is still relatively low, regardless of which model you choose. Focusing on what's closer and more probable, what does the chance of an additional 1.5" rain mean for flooding in North AL, GA, SC, NC, etc? I'm happy to get as much rain as possible during these low soil evaporation days.

You havent proven to anyone here that you understand one damn thing about weather except you wishcast for cold and snowy weather.

Bingo. He said no SE ridge this winter and looked what happened in December. He was absent when nothing cold or wintry was showing up, now he is back because he thinks the pattern is going to turn due to a Quasi Biennial Oscillation Solar Max Connection in January and February.

The Euro isn't a disaster in the LR.  It's not like it shows a monster torch and all the cold air leaving NA.  It's not really a snow pattern and there's no west-based -NAO, but it's not a torch and doesn't look like it would lead to one.  There's a split flow in the Pacific and plenty of cold up in Canada.  It's not a disaster, but there's a quite a bit of work to do to get snow.post-987-0-37522900-1388087805_thumb.gif

The Euro isn't a disaster in the LR.  It's not like it shows a monster torch and all the cold air leaving NA.  It's not really a snow pattern and there's no west-based -NAO, but it's not a torch and doesn't look like it would lead to one.  There's a split flow in the Pacific and plenty of cold up in Canada.  It's not a disaster, but there's a quite a bit of work to do to get snow.attachicon.gifGeopotential3250032hPa32and32Temperature32at3285032hPa_North32America_240.gif

Agreed. The 12Z Euro is actually at 1 to 2 F below normal for the 6-10 day period per 850's. Also, the 12Z GFS is 2-4 F below normal for the same period. So, all pretty good if one wants a decent cold period, especially with it being during a portion of the time with the coldest normal. I'm hoping that the GFS is closer to reality around 1/2 as I feel there's a nontrivial chance for at least a light accumulation of snow in much of the SE then per several GFS/GEFS runs though the 12Z GFS has very little snow for 1/2 unlike the 6Z and 18Z runs.

The Euro isn't a disaster in the LR.  It's not like it shows a monster torch and all the cold air leaving NA.  It's not really a snow pattern and there's no west-based -NAO, but it's not a torch and doesn't look like it would lead to one.  There's a split flow in the Pacific and plenty of cold up in Canada.  It's not a disaster, but there's a quite a bit of work to do to get snow.attachicon.gifGeopotential3250032hPa32and32Temperature32at3285032hPa_North32America_240.gif

I love me a split flow!!  My winter kink desires twosomes and threesomes, and I'll take a split flow in winter over all else, and let the cold worry about it's self.  Strangely enough winter seems to generate cold over and over, so it's the potential for repeat rains you want to see.  At least I do.  T

T

Archived