• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion

CAD_Wedge_NC

I don't really understand the mindset of holding off on a thread, to be honest.  What difference does it make?  Most of the discussion in this thread is talking about a specific storm potential, not the overall December pattern discussion, so it would make sense to create a new thread, IMO.  I don't really care too much, though, so whatever is fine.  I guess there's the new thread jinx, but I don't think many of us really believe in that. :D

We have a big subforum for a reason.  I remember the era of the superthreads back when this was EasternWx, but why not use the subforum as it was intended?

I recommend that we start a new thread also...... I used up all my CAD mojo in this thread. So, I think the Georgia sleet-man should do the honors but I will start it if that's what you guys want.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sadly, there isn't a single percent in me that thinks we have to worry about suppression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me neither. Not in early December. Not now

With that huge ridge OFF the west coast and a complete lack of blocking,we will have to worry about a more northerly track, even with small impulses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct. Why would the Euro OP be so different from the ensembles?

TW

I'd say that's not really unusual at that time range (8-10 days) when considering that the op is one member compared to the average of 51 members with the ensemble mean.  The ensemble mean had a trough in the west.  The op was just more pronounced compared to the mean with digging it into the SW, and as a consequence, had a stronger ridge along the east coast.

Euro ensembles continue to build a ridge over Greenland and now towards the Davis strait. I think this is three runs in a row now maybe four. 0z gefs do this as well but not as aggressive. They both want to drop another trough in the pac nw and western Canada so we should expect another relaxation.

Looks like an active pattern is setting up across the United States. An arctic air mass with the potential for ice stretching across the middle of the country before spreading to the east coast.

Let's hope that the NAO and AO continue to trend towards a negative phase. I am ready for wintry weather; however, I will pass on the ice.

Right now, the pattern is conductive for these arctic air masses to continue to dive south. All we need is a strong area of low pressure to bomb out on the east coast, and we might finally get a good winter storm in the area. Let's just wait till after December 14, because that is graduation.  :D

No real torch in the LR still.  After a brief warm-up this week, temps look to drop back to normal or below again.  The AO looks to continue to its fall toward neutral with most memebers taking it back up again.  There is spread, however, with a few taking it negative.  The NAO generally looks to rise slightly positive and then trend back toward neutral and negative thereafter (looking at the LR Euro and GFS, ridging starts to show up in the NAO domain, but no Greenland block or strong west-based NAO appears yet).  The PNA is shown to remain in negative territory for the foreseeable future, with a trend back toward neutral toward the end of the period.  The MJO continues to be incoherrent with several models keeping it a non-factor in the COD, while others generally emerge it in Phase 2 or Phase 3 for a short time.

The CFS shows above normal precip weeks 1 and 2 with below normal values weeks 3 and 4.  Regarding temps, it shows weeks 1 and 2 generally below normal, week 3 barely above normal, and week 4 is a complete torch across the US.  Canada remains in the icebox for the whole period.  For January, it shows most of the nation dry and above normal, with the only real exception of normal/below temps being in the SE.  I'm sure that will change significantly though, many times.

After looking at the Euro through 196, we all may hate the SE ridge before this year is over. There is blocking in the Aleutians with not much hint of a -NAO forming, with bitterly cold air in the northern plains, with pieces breaking off and trying to make it in to the northeast.

At 216, SE ridge holding on, and the Euro is trying to dump more cold into the southwest. Much of the country is below normal, but the SE ridge is being very stubborn.

After looking at the Euro through 196, we all may hate the SE ridge before this year is over. There is blocking in the Aleutians with not much hint of a -NAO forming, with bitterly cold air in the northern plains, with pieces breaking off and trying to make it in to the northeast.

At 216, SE ridge holding on, and the Euro is trying to dump more cold into the southwest. Much of the country is below normal, but the SE ridge is being very stubborn.

216 and 240 have strong high pressure building in across the northern tier and a general migration of the SE ridge out to sea. By 240, it looks like a -NAO (east-based) building in. Ridging continues over AK and the Aleutians with a continued general -PNA pattern. Looks like another fantasy winter storm overrunning event for us.

Archived