joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's talk winter!

Steve

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So while the storm did not quite live up to its forecast, the 5-6" that fell in Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati were all daily records.  The 5.1" at KCMH is also one of the top 10 events for the first 10 days of December.  So it was still a historic event even if not the one we were hoping for.  We're also 8" above normal for this time in the season so far. 

Another couple of inches for Sunday looks likely.  The NAM has another 3-5" for Tuesday, though the GFS barely has anything.

A little over 5" imby.   One of the strangest snowstorms I ever experienced.  If I was locked in a room with no windows and nothing but a radar, I'd bet the house we would have gotten a foot of snow.  Even when the dark green and at times, yellow, returns were over us, I don't think we ever officially hit heavy snow status.   Mostly a long duration light to moderate snow event.   The other interesting thing which I'm still scratching my head over, is how little snow stuck on pavement.   It was as though this storm occurred during a time of increased sun-angle, (similar to a late March storm).    Maybe it was because we had hit 65 the day before?   But to get almost 6" of snow and be able to debate my wife as to whether we need to shovel the driveway is just odd.  

A little over 5" imby. One of the strangest snowstorms I ever experienced. If I was locked in a room with no windows and nothing but a radar, I'd bet the house we would have gotten a foot of snow. Even when the dark green and at times, yellow, returns were over us, I don't think we ever officially hit heavy snow status. Mostly a long duration light to moderate snow event. The other interesting thing which I'm still scratching my head over, is how little snow stuck on pavement. It was as though this storm occurred during a time of increased sun-angle, (similar to a late March storm). Maybe it was because we had hit 65 the day before? But to get almost 6" of snow and be able to debate my wife as to whether we need to shovel the driveway is just odd.

wow how much stuck to the pavement? As you said sounds like a late March snowstorm, not an early December one. Still keep in mind most of WI, MI, VT, NH etc have bare ground...so I'd take a March storm right now.

A little over 5" imby.   One of the strangest snowstorms I ever experienced.  If I was locked in a room with no windows and nothing but a radar, I'd bet the house we would have gotten a foot of snow.  Even when the dark green and at times, yellow, returns were over us, I don't think we ever officially hit heavy snow status.   Mostly a long duration light to moderate snow event.   The other interesting thing which I'm still scratching my head over, is how little snow stuck on pavement.   It was as though this storm occurred during a time of increased sun-angle, (similar to a late March storm).    Maybe it was because we had hit 65 the day before?   But to get almost 6" of snow and be able to debate my wife as to whether we need to shovel the driveway is just odd.  

Strange or not, 5" isn't a bad way to start the winter. Congrats and hope you can tack on a few more tomorrow while I'm getting ZL.

I'm not too worried though. The day will come when I get hammered and OH is in the dry slut. :devilsmiley:

wow how much stuck to the pavement? As you said sounds like a late March snowstorm, not an early December one. Still keep in mind most of WI, MI, VT, NH etc have bare ground...so I'd take a March storm right now.

I bet we have less than an inch on driveways and sidewalks.   I'd like to hear the report from my fellow central Ohioans on this apect as well.   Did they see the same thing?    It's the Saturday morning after a 6" snowfall and no sounds of snowblowers, scraping shovels, etc in the neighborhood.     But you look at other surfaces like grass, cars, picnic tables etc and there's 5-6" covering them.  

Here in Bellbrook...as reported by 1996....about 5 to 6 inches. Also little accumulation on the pavement. Buckeye, I believe the torch we had in the days prior to the snow was stored in the ground...especially black top and cement. Even though we dropped to freezing over night the night before....we had been in the 60's for at least a couple of days. This will be the same thing for grassy areas when we get above freezing. I have seen this many times over the years that for snow to be preserved....the ground needs to be frozen before the snow cover. Right now the ground is not frozen under neath. Thus we will see more compaction...and when we get sun and close or above freezing we will see melting from under as well as above. The longest lasting and best sticking snows always need a frozen ground under the snow cover.

I bet we have less than an inch on driveways and sidewalks. I'd like to hear the report from my fellow central Ohioans on this apect as well. Did they see the same thing? It's the Saturday morning after a 6" snowfall and no sounds of snowblowers, scraping shovels, etc in the neighborhood. But you look at other surfaces like grass, cars, picnic tables etc and there's 5-6" covering them.

Been the talk w/ some of my friends. We were calln this a DUDD (which is wht we do whn storm doesnt live up 2 xpctatns) all day ystrdy. Howver we wound up w/ mayb 4.5 which is wht they were calln 4 (3-6/4-8). BUT, on the pavement mayb 2 in spots & thats bein generous! Had 2 b, had 2 b the warm pavement from warm days leadn up 2 storm. Very strange. Now, if we get anythn 2morow it will stick right away b/c its gonna b cold 2nite!

I bet we have less than an inch on driveways and sidewalks.   I'd like to hear the report from my fellow central Ohioans on this apect as well.   Did they see the same thing?    It's the Saturday morning after a 6" snowfall and no sounds of snowblowers, scraping shovels, etc in the neighborhood.     But you look at other surfaces like grass, cars, picnic tables etc and there's 5-6" covering them.  

Similar Observation here Buckeye--And now that the Sun is out it is doing a number on the roads even though it is 23 *

Same here. Grass, cars, etc. covered but not the pavements. The 60 degree temps surely warmed the pavements up more than I thought possible.

12Z GFS & NAM puts a little fluff down tonight in S. Ohio, 1-2" maybe, then this Sat is looking interesting with a much stronger storm starting out as lgt SN, then FR, then later in the day back over to heavier snow.  What do you guys think?

they have been talking about this one!!!

12Z GFS & NAM puts a little fluff down tonight in S. Ohio, 1-2" maybe, then this Sat is looking interesting with a much stronger storm starting out as lgt SN, then FR, then later in the day back over to heavier snow.  What do you guys think?

From everything I've seen it looks like another close call for the I-70 corridor.  500mb seems to argue against this thing cutting too far north, but that's not to say it can't try and bring up warm air with it when it does.  Most likely scenario now seems like it rides up the OV and then transfers east.

If anything is going for us here in ohio, it's the idea that in active pattern, the rich tend to get richer. 

post-622-0-09234300-1386621500_thumb.jpg

I was just shocked how little accumulated period.  Maybe the warm ground/compaction/daytime issues are to blame.  Although in early Dec, I would think the sun shouldn't matter as much.

Got 5" here but like you noted the pavement didn't accumulate a lot.  I bet it was the two very warm days prior as the concrete probably retains heat well.  I did notice that last night the freezing drizzle accumulated VERY easily in my parking lot and sidewalks.

Looks like a fluffy inch tonight...I'll take it!

Regarding late week/weekend, looks like models are in pretty good agreement for a WTOD SWFE.   So probably initial burst of snow, to slop, to rain, to flurries.  Wouldn't be a winter here without one or two of those.  

Last glimmer of hope is that the models start going south and weaker once they get  a good sniff of the arctic air and clipper coming in the next day or two or there's less phasing. 

2" exactly here imby.  I wouldn't call it fluffy....more like powdery.  

Pretty incredible stretch of early winter wx....doesn't look to subside anytime soon either.

On to Saturdays storm..hopefully it does not cut to our NW...Let's see what this fresh snowpack does in terms of temps for Saturday!

Archived