joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's talk winter!

Steve

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What really sucks is...it looks like we have a brief warm-up that will melt the snow..just hope we can get one more snow before Christmas!!

The warm up looks very brief, from around the 20th-21st and then it's over with some snow leading into Christmas.  But this is 2 weeks out, so a lot can change either way. 

The warm up looks very brief, from around the 20th-21st and then it's over with some snow leading into Christmas.  But this is 2 weeks out, so a lot can change either way. 

looking at all the models it's a total crap shoot as to whether we get into rain....about 50/50.   The gfs gives us only 3 tenths of an inch of total precip, (1 tenth as frz rain, rest as snow).   NAM seems to be the warmest but according to text sounding 850 never gets above -1.   NAM also gives us .51 total qpf.

I'm wondering if 1-4" might be more realistic at this point....1" if we change over mid morning Saturday, 4" if we don't change over at all.

looking at all the models it's a total crap shoot as to whether we get into rain....about 50/50.   The gfs gives us only 3 tenths of an inch of total precip, (1 tenth as frz rain, rest as snow).   NAM seems to be the warmest but according to text sounding 850 never gets above -1.   NAM also gives us .51 total qpf.

I'm wondering if 1-4" might be more realistic at this point....1" if we change over mid morning Saturday, 4" if we don't change over at all.

The models were a bit too dry for the last event, but way too wet for the one before it.  If we can stay snow, I'm still thinking 3" minimum.  A mix would definitely cut that down, but 1" is probably too low whether or not we change over at some point.

The models were a bit too dry for the last event, but way too wet for the one before it.  If we can stay snow, I'm still thinking 3" minimum.  A mix would definitely cut that down, but 1" is probably too low whether or not we change over at some point.

looking at some short range mos and trying to make sense of the progression of things, it looks as though we get hit with the first wave of all snow WAA, (this might be the over performing part of the storm since WAA snows can often lead to some surprises.  Than it looks like a bit of a lull before the precip from the actual low moves in from the sw....this is the part of the storm that I'm not so sure about.  If we can stay snow without mixing, than 4+ seems likely.

looking at some short range mos and trying to make sense of the progression of things, it looks as though we get hit with the first wave of all snow WAA, (this might be the over performing part of the storm since WAA snows can often lead to some surprises.  Than it looks like a bit of a lull before the precip from the actual low moves in from the sw....this is the part of the storm that I'm not so sure about.  If we can stay snow without mixing, than 4+ seems likely.

Remembering similar scenarios, usually the first part that is WAA wipes out the cold for the 2nd round of precip. Then, the hope is that the 2nd round of precip is very light or even just drizzle.

it looks like ILN extended the WWA to include another tier of southeastern counties....that adds a bit of encouragement that they may not be as bullish on the warming.

Makes me wonder if storm is moving a bit further south...WWA moved SE...wonder if WSW will be moved also..Just a thought!!

Archived